Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "d0m0san" started this thread

Date of registration
: Nov 20th 2015

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 1

Friday, November 20th 2015, 9:45pm

SWBF Map Textures

Is there any way currently to grab the elevation/diffuse/normal texture maps for the various levels? I'd love to get my hands on even the un-stitched tiles...

Thanks!

elementofprgress

Wizard moderator

(3,544)

Date of registration
: Jun 28th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Sunday, November 22nd 2015, 6:30pm

Texture formats completely changed. Both with how files in the game work and the textures themselves. This happened in the beta and the only thing different with the beta was it was running DX12(at least i think it was not sure). Hopefully they didn't do any thing fancy to take advantage of if it like some weird/custom compression format.

Texture changes or not the tools to extract them right from the files is just barely squeaking by right now. Eventually I'll have everything completely updated for SWBF and then I'll be able to start looking into the textures.

In the mean time there is a program out there called NinjaRipper. It is kinda messy...sloopy and stuff but it gets textures. Though it rips them from the live screen while your in game and dumps them all in one big folder. It is messy, but works lol.

Symthic Forum Rules
Battlefield Data Browser
Come join us on teamspeak!!!
Symthic/Team Symthic Teamspeak: TeamSym.Nitrado.net

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "elementofprgress" (Nov 22nd 2015, 6:50pm)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Sunday, November 29th 2015, 10:30pm

Thanks, ninjaripper worked, but unfortunately I was given a 4096x2048 texture with 128x128 tiles (512 of them), which means an insanely long time trying to stitch them all. Even with some image processing voodoo and several hours of my machine crunching for matches it's tough to get an unscrambled texture. Any clue how I can maybe find the tile order for the texture or something?

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,335)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Reputation modifier: 16

Sunday, November 29th 2015, 10:54pm

I'd imagine the ripper could somehow extract index information of the tile in one way or another, and then saves it to filename or something (dunno really, never used such software).

You could try googling "image stiching" or similar for finding software that can combine the images based on their borders. I am sure there's something like this somewhere.
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, November 30th 2015, 9:21pm

I suspect that it just dumped the atlas that was in memory and has no clue how the textures are actually used. Re: Rejoining them via their edges I made something using OpenCV that only gave me 60% or so accuracy (still looking at arranging 100 or more tiles sometimes), and I also tried stitching using Fiji but the issue is that the diffuse terrain texture doesn't have unique enough features to do it quickly which is unfortunate.

All said and done I'd imagine if I had spent the same time just re-arranging all 512 tiles I would have finished stitching one map, but then I'd have several more to do so this is probably a dead end considering the time it takes. :/

I was essentially going to try and make level maps for reference, but at this rate I'd be better off grabbing a sketch pad and making loose sketches of each map. lol

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,335)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Reputation modifier: 16

Monday, November 30th 2015, 9:41pm

Yeah it just dumps the loaded texture but I imagined it had at least some information along with it, but apparently not (I have close to none experience with OpenGL and sorts so).
I'd have personally tried something stupidly heavy and calculate differences between edges and finding the tile setup that had minimal sum of differences, but I guess this only works with the uh... "natural images", ie. not normal maps or speculars etc. Then again, I haven't programmed much with image manipulation (tinkered around with OpenCV little bit) so I wouldn't know what is sensible and what is not :v. Heck I don't even know how extracting features first and then using them to combine tiles correctly would work.
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included