Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

LucidNonsenze

Elite (Not Really)

(708)

• "LucidNonsenze" started this thread

Date of registration
: May 14th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Friday, October 9th 2015, 12:26am

Fattieblunt 3 demobeta (First impresssions of the Battlefront 3 beta).

First impressions of the Battlefront 3 beta.
  1. No classes, different weapons and roles replaced by infinite recharging magic power ups.
  2. Only 40 players, most of the map on Walker Assault is just a background, makes the map feel completely artificial and non-interactive.
  3. Vehicles are now power-ups found in semi random locations on the ground, repairing is removed from BtFt2 and no multi seat vehicles, wat.
  4. No classes, health and ammo dispensing replaced by infinite recharging magic power ups.
  5. No bombers to target ground units ala battlefront 2, only present as scripted event.
  6. No classes, unique, interesting special classes from BtFt2 with unique gameplay replaced by infinite recharging magic power ups.
  7. Minimap is a crime, it's even worse than the battlefront 2 map, not only is it tiny but there's next to no terrain detail.

It somehow manages to strip out a lot of features from Battlefront 2 without adding anything Battlefield 4 doesn't do 10x better.

I'm sad.

Signature

BF4, PC.

AMD FX8350 at 4.4GHz.
AMD R9 280x MSI Twin Frozr OC'ed to 1150MHz Core. 1700MHz Memory.
8GB Crucial RAM 1600MHz CL9-9-9-24 1T.
1TB 7200 RPM HD
Logitech G400 mouse.
MSI 990 series motherboard
1920 x 1080 IPS Monitor.

Date of registration
: Jun 23rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Friday, October 9th 2015, 12:30am

Not the successor to Battlefront 2 you'd expected obviously.

Hence the name "STAR WARS: Battlefront", and not "Battlefront 3".

It was pretty congruent with my expectations so far (as in: plays more akin to CoD than Battlefield), as the game's nature was pretty clearly communicated beforehand.
Zormau - Battlelog / Battlefield 4

Memorable quotes not taken yet:

Of course, this ignores the non-constant cross-sectional first moment of area across the chest as well as non-constant material properties of the boob; it would be difficult to perform a more detailed analysis (as in, I'd have to have a shape function AND I'd need to derive a function for elastic modulus as a function of lateral breast coordinate) but whatever. It's 2am and I'm lazy.

I always believed science should be very hands on experience.

You should also answer this question I had posed in that thread: Would you be willing to pay your surgeon more if he was going to use a chainsaw for the opening incision of surgery? Clearly using a chainsaw isn't truly suited for surgery but that doesn't really matter. If he's "skilled" enough to be able to use the wrong tools of the trade, he should be rewarded for that skill right?

LucidNonsenze

Elite (Not Really)

(708)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, October 9th 2015, 12:32am

Not the successor to Battlefront 2 you'd expected obviously.

Hence the name "STAR WARS: Battlefront", and not "Battlefront 3".

It was pretty congruent with my expectations so far (as in: plays more akin to CoD than Battlefield), as the game's nature was pretty clearly communicated beforehand.

I expected a Battlefieldised version of Battlefront 2, not a cash grab CoD imitation using the Battlefield engine but with half the features of either BF4 or BtFt 2.

I must have not got the memo they sent.

Signature

BF4, PC.

AMD FX8350 at 4.4GHz.
1TB 7200 RPM HD
Logitech G400 mouse.
1920 x 1080 IPS Monitor.

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(9,456)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Friday, October 9th 2015, 12:44am

If it weren't for the gun balance and the aircraft's overwhelming power, I would recommend this game in a heartbeat.

It is innovative and not only conforms to market trends but is also leading them as well.

It is almost a good game. The basics are there, they just need to fine tune the balance.

The rapid health regen is great and teamwork is required to win still. It isn't just about babysitting their health and ammo. You simply coordinate firing angles and cover each other.

The replacement of classes with freeform card selection is a plus too. You don't need classes for teamwork.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

With this, I'll rid MGO3 of infestation. Sans bad gameplay MGO3 will be torn asunder. And then it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain.

Reddit and Konami will rewrite the records... And I will be demonized in human memory. But... The thirst for good gameplay that I have planted will infest MGO3. No one can stop it now. The Rebalance Mod will unleash that thirst unto the future.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

LucidNonsenze

Elite (Not Really)

(708)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, October 9th 2015, 1:27am

The rapid health regen is great and teamwork is required to win still. It isn't just about babysitting their health and ammo. You simply coordinate firing angles and cover each other.
There's no comma rose/squad orders from BF and BtFt, co-ordination is almost non existant and there's no way to get any in pubs.
The replacement of classes with freeform card selection is a plus too. You don't need classes for teamwork.
There is no teamwork in the beta, there exists no framework for team play, everyone runs cycler, blaster power up and thermal detonator. I'm confused as to where you think there even exists the possibility for teamplay beyond 2 man lone wolfpacks.

I, and a few friends I talked to about it on PS4 got bored after about 4 rounds, gameplay is completely shallow.

Signature

BF4, PC.

AMD FX8350 at 4.4GHz.
1TB 7200 RPM HD
Logitech G400 mouse.
1920 x 1080 IPS Monitor.

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(9,456)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Friday, October 9th 2015, 1:47am

There's no comma rose/squad orders from BF and BtFt, co-ordination is almost non existant and there's no way to get any in pubs.

There isn't a need for an actual comma rose. All those comms are automatically managed by the game. Put your crosshair over someone and it'll provide a VO that there are Rebels/Empire in the area to your teammates. Similarly, if you're taking hits while flying, the game will automatically provide VOs that you're having trouble.

And pubs are unlikely to have good coordination. Play with friends though and it's great.

Not only that, but the party system in SWBF hooks directly into Origin's friend list. You are supposed to play with your friends.

Unless PS4 does not have a similar system with their friends list system, I find it hard to believe you cannot find people to play with.

There is no teamwork in the beta, there exists no framework for team play, everyone runs cycler, blaster power up and thermal detonator. I'm confused as to where you think there even exists the possibility for teamplay beyond 2 man lone wolfpacks.

I, and a few friends I talked to about it on PS4 got bored after about 4 rounds, gameplay is completely shallow.

There is no teamwork yet. And that is because they are still learning the game.

Spoiler Spoiler

Back in the Alpha, people figured out what to do quickly and despite no comms, they were able to coordinate effectively. Though there was chat on PC as well.

Teamwork is there in the form of covering fire and taking pressure off of each other. In engagements where you take fire from multiple directions, it kind of helps to be able to shoot in multiple directions.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

With this, I'll rid MGO3 of infestation. Sans bad gameplay MGO3 will be torn asunder. And then it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain.

Reddit and Konami will rewrite the records... And I will be demonized in human memory. But... The thirst for good gameplay that I have planted will infest MGO3. No one can stop it now. The Rebalance Mod will unleash that thirst unto the future.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

LucidNonsenze

Elite (Not Really)

(708)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, October 9th 2015, 2:37am

There isn't a need for an actual comma rose. All those comms are automatically managed by the game. Put your crosshair over someone and it'll provide a VO that there are Rebels/Empire in the area to your teammates. Similarly, if you're taking hits while flying, the game will automatically provide VOs that you're having trouble.

And pubs are unlikely to have good coordination. Play with friends though and it's great.

Not only that, but the party system in SWBF hooks directly into Origin's friend list. You are supposed to play with your friends.

Unless PS4 does not have a similar system with their friends list system, I find it hard to believe you cannot find people to play with.
The auto VO's just sound like part of the inane faux realistic battle radio chatter battlefield games have, I never once noticed anything useful on it. It's not even close to spotting/hotkeys for usefulness and lack of control makes it almost totally useless in itself.

I was playing on PC, I know two people personally with gaming PC's, neither have the beta, no one in my origin list was trying it, I have friends with PS4's who tried it, thus I was talking to them.
There is no teamwork yet. And that is because they are still learning the game.

Back in the Alpha, people figured out what to do quickly and despite no comms, they were able to coordinate effectively. Though there was chat on PC as well.
There are no features to allow teamwork to develop even after people learn the game, you can have teamwork in CoD but it's entirely down to player organisation with the game offering no facilitation for it as battlefront 3 also fails to do with means such as overlapping supporting classes and gadgets.
Teamwork is there in the form of covering fire and taking pressure off of each other. In engagements where you take fire from multiple directions, it kind of helps to be able to shoot in multiple directions.
Yup, so there's nothing that you can't find in literally ANY multiplayer FPS game if you set it up yourself externally to the game, where it doesn't count as a feature of the game.

Signature

BF4, PC.

AMD FX8350 at 4.4GHz.
1TB 7200 RPM HD
Logitech G400 mouse.
1920 x 1080 IPS Monitor.

Date of registration
: Oct 27th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 2

Friday, October 9th 2015, 4:46am

After several hours of play in both modes, I have to agree with LucidNonsenze, though I hope DICE will turn the game around.

I'm ignoring balance issues, of course, because it's a beta. I see a lot of potential in this game, and think some more time spent tweaking it will improve it greatly. Some features, however, seem like intentional choices by DICE that really ruin the game for me. Among them:

• Matchmaking without a server browser is every bit as bad as we feared
  • You can't change your loadout during a match
  • Lack of vehicle repair seems a very odd contrast to the rapid infantry regen edit - I'm convinced on this point
  • Even knowing how to read the minimap, how it works is an enigma wrapped in a mystery hidden in a riddle
  • It's a coin flip whether the call outs give your friends or your enemies more information
  • The aircraft controls with a mouse and keyboard are... wanting
  • Third person targeting reticles are problematic as infantry and unusable in the AT-ST (it's worse than the old chopper reticles in BF3/BF4)
  • I haven't confirmed this, but it seems like the non-vehicle pickups are randomly assigned when you get them, making it pointlessly difficult to use them thoughtfully

In particular, it strikes me as weird to not let players change their loadout mid match, as it means we'll probably end up using the same generalist setup for literally everything. There are arcade style games that have a lot of staying power because their mechanics are thoughtfully designed, though simple. Battlefront doesn't seem to have that yet, but I'm still hoping.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "symbolsix" (Oct 9th 2015, 4:54pm)

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,058)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Reputation modifier: 16

Friday, October 9th 2015, 8:46am

People should stop comparing this game to Battlefront II... Like Zormau said, it wasn't really meant to be same as the older two even tho it belongs to same series. Battlefield has changed a bit during it's series as well (and has those bit different ones like Bad Company 1/2).

But I am going with SAGA on this one. Apart from aircraft dominating pretty much anything / being the only meaningful way to dmg ATATs in walker assault the game was fun to play and very refreshing. It's a good mix between CoDish infantry combat, BF larger scale fights + vehicles AND RO2 style trench shooting, altho BF rush had this as well.
Haven't thought of weapon balance yet. At least lack of invidual sniper rifle primary weapons (?) removes the campers BUT gives everybody a chance to be a sniper with the ability thing. However some turrets are pointless with potentially everyone having ability to neutralize them far away with zero risk.

Gotta dash to school now tho. Getting the game either way so will be enjoying it :v
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Date of registration
: Jun 23rd 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Friday, October 9th 2015, 9:35am

I think Battlefront is doing exactly what it was supposed to do. No one who was informed about this game ever believed that it would be some expansion of everything that Battlefront 2 was; it was always meant from the very beginning to be a reboot of Battlefront for a new generation of gamers (and, I suspect, non-gamers as well). From the start, the messaging was that this game was supposed to make you feel as if you were a soldier in the Star Wars universe; like a large-scale, multiplayer role-playing game. Look at the language used to promote the game: "Fulfill your Star Wars battle fantasies". This game is all about the immersion. The game mechanics are built with this in mind; a game that is simple to pick up and provides enough immersion (or suspension of disbelief) for the player to feel as if he/she was in the Star Wars universe for the duration of the match. Does it have all of the tactical complexity of Battlefield or the old Battlefront games? No, but it was never intended to have it in the first place.

My view is that EA and Disney targeted this game at Star Wars fans. Not Battlefront fans. Not Battlefield fans. Not even shooter fans. They targeted it at people who like Star Wars and want to feel as if they were a character in the Star Wars universe. This was their objective and I think they accomplished what they set out to do. Battlefront is fast-paced and simple; only a single weapon and 3 abilities keep the character customization simple for players who aren't used to the complex customization systems of CoD or Battlefield. The dynamic nature of the game modes keeps the action flowing so no one is ever sitting around idle and the power-ups that are scattered throughout the map ensure that every player is able to become the hero of the day at some point, whether it is placing down a squad shield at the right moment, taking out an AT-ST with the smart rocket, or clearing out enemies with the Orbital Strike. Even in the largest of game modes, each player has the ability to make a difference in the battle. This is the appeal of the game.

To that end, I believe Battlefront is a very well-design game. The game-modes are well-designed to discourage static camping which tend to frustrate players; since the drop pods will always change position, you cannot camp in one place for long like you can in Battlefield; and since the walkers always move forward, camping positions in Walker Assault will eventually be overrun. Additionally, this eliminates the static grind scenarios often seen on maps like Metro and Locker (and occasionally Zavod) in BF4. Action is never far away and is usually clustered around objectives, thus even the most clueless players will move towards objectives during their normal play. Thus the game modes themselves funnel players into situations where they help each other accomplish objectives. The game is designed around the pub match with the assumption that players will not be communicating and coordinating, so the game modes are set up so that such things aren't needed for a team to emerge victorious.

The powerups are both an equalizing factor and a balancing factor in the game. They are spread out semi-randomly so that everyone has the ability to get them and it becomes very hard for players to camp a particular power-up. No more players camping the spawn screen for tanks (I am guilty of this in BF4) or jets, or waiting around in the spawn for a vehicle to respawn. This prevents players from hogging the vehicles and power-ups and people will have to move around to find those power-ups. The lack of vehicle repair feeds into this; this ensures that one player cannot stay in a vehicle for the whole match due to wrench monkeys repairing him the whole time; it keeps the vehicles cycling through so more players can use them and if a player is staying in them a long time, that means he or she is just really good at avoiding damage.

There are more things that I think Battlefront did right in light of its goals, but the gist of my long essay is that Battlefront was designed for pub matches and providing an immersive Star Wars experience. Its game design reflects these goals and accomplishes them well.