Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Date of registration
: Apr 12th 2013

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Wednesday, October 7th 2015, 9:49am

Well, reading around the topic and threads like this have been a social-psychology somewhat of an eye opener, despite none of this having really been news.

There really does exist a significant amount of US citizens who are all in for the BS that NRA spouts. Analogously to Creationism being taught to kids in schools.

So, there really does exist a significant amount of US citizens that literally live and buy the 2+2=5.

Mind blown.
"Less is more? How can that be? How could less be more, that's impossible. More is more." Yngwie Malmsten
"Many bullets help." WoopsyYaya
"most rhetorically legitimate ad hominem 2015" ToTheSun!

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "3VerstsNorth" (Oct 7th 2015, 1:38pm)

Aenonar

Data Analyzer

(2,795)

Date of registration
: Dec 16th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Wednesday, October 7th 2015, 10:35am

Nah, I'm sure that a school full of panicked adolescents armed with guns and the knowledge that at least one of them is out to kill all others will turn out fine.

rofl, perfect setup for a high school movie.. Hell, someone should totally make that movie, maybe people will realize why giving everyone guns is a bad idea...

If people are that immature well into their mid-twenties, that means we've failed as a society. Teenagers I can understand but at that age, we're supposed to be EDUCATING them. Otherwise, we increase the risk that they experiment on their own and make irreversible mistakes. Also, if we force people to wait several years down the line before getting access to things like cars and guns, we end up with a lot of inexperienced people at an age they should be contributing to society.

When I started driving at 16, I was not perfect at all. However, I learned. It saved my ass a couple years later when I hit a sheet of black ice and managed to regain control of my car through a 50 mph slide. If I was forced to drive later in my life, I could have failed and hurt myself.

As for putting alarm systems in schools, how is that a deterrent to a guy aiming at going down in a blaze of glory? If you want to stop the shooter from taking victims, there needs to be SOMEONE on-site with the means to fight back. Even if the alarm system works and warns the whole school, you're still going to get a few stragglers that will unfortunately get shot. Also, the entire school will still be under the shooter's control until the police show up, whenever that is.

As for home invasions, if you're in the house when a burglar breaks in, where do you run away to? For example, my apartment only has one way in. If someone breaks into my place and I'm home, I'm fucked. I either fight back with whatever I have or surrender and hope the burglar doesn't decide I make a good punching bag.

Human brains continue to develop until 25-30, not much the society can do with that. Giving cars to 16 year olds is just stupid, let alone guns.

^
Young drivers tend to take more risks and be far less observant in general, such as "it's pretty cold today, might be ice on the road so I'd better take it slow". Even at around 4*c there can be ice on the road, especially in dips and wooded areas.

Even if "someone" has a gun, all the offender has to do is take out that someone first and you're back at square one. Giving everyone guns would technically solve that, but like I said that's just insane...

Home invasion - most aren't out to kill you let alone want to come face to face with someone. Shouting and letting them know the house isn't empty is a good start.

Lockdowns are far more effective than evacuations. Sure, crowd four hundred people into two staircases, that's not a recipe for disaster, either via stampede or indiscriminate fire. Nah, lock down the building, hide in locked classrooms out of sight of the shooter and wait for police/SWAT/whomever to show up. Most campuses have police on/near campus.

If you can run straight out that's preferred, but if not then yeah, locking yourself in is your best option. The main job of the alarm would be to let everyone know what's going on so that no one just happens to bump into them. Plenty of escape routes would be pretty damn good though, not just in a shooting but also in case of fire..

Quoted

(14:06:57) Riesig: I should stop now. People might get sig material again

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Aenonar" (Oct 7th 2015, 10:42am)

Date of registration
: Mar 25th 2015

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 4

Wednesday, October 7th 2015, 1:18pm

Young drivers tend to take more risks and be far less observant in general, such as "it's pretty cold today, might be ice on the road so I'd better take it slow". Even at around 4*c there can be ice on the road, especially in dips and wooded areas.

Even if "someone" has a gun, all the offender has to do is take out that someone first and you're back at square one. Giving everyone guns would technically solve that, but like I said that's just insane...

Home invasion - most aren't out to kill you let alone want to come face to face with someone. Shouting and letting them know the house isn't empty is a good start.

On the flip side, older drivers can be TOO careful and force people to follow them at half the speed limit in an area with no-pass lanes. The only option,besides staying behind them, is to break the law and pass them. Some frustrated drivers, that would otherwise drive normally, will do just that. Besides that, my mistake at the time didn't involve not taking risks or not being observant. I hadn't driven on icy roads before so I didn't have an exact idea on how badly it could affect my braking distance. I did, however, know how to handle my car should shit hit the fan. Thankfully, I caught my car, got out of it clean, no harm no foul. I knew next time to brake earlier.

If I had to suggest driving evaluations, there would be tests on closed circuits with low-grip scenarios. I've only ever seen one instance of that kind of test and it involved a modified car making impractically slow slaloms between cones.

For that line with the offender taking out the one guy, I've seen a pretty interesting saying lately. "Two is one and one is none". In this case, it would either mean to have a TEAM of security guards or let all teachers carry guns (some schools are already doing the latter). However, even if only one armed defender on campus isn't enough, there are cases where it still helped vs having no one at all.

Finally, assuming most burglars don't want confrontation, you can't really know for sure until you're actively interacting with said burglar. If scaring the burglar doesn't work, well, you're going to have to defend yourself. It's a possibility that has to be considered and planned for. Having one or two weapons in the house is usually that plan B.

Aenonar

Data Analyzer

(2,795)

Date of registration
: Dec 16th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Wednesday, October 7th 2015, 11:36pm

On the flip side, older drivers can be TOO careful and force people to follow them at half the speed limit in an area with no-pass lanes. The only option,besides staying behind them, is to break the law and pass them. Some frustrated drivers, that would otherwise drive normally, will do just that. Besides that, my mistake at the time didn't involve not taking risks or not being observant. I hadn't driven on icy roads before so I didn't have an exact idea on how badly it could affect my braking distance. I did, however, know how to handle my car should shit hit the fan. Thankfully, I caught my car, got out of it clean, no harm no foul. I knew next time to brake earlier.

If I had to suggest driving evaluations, there would be tests on closed circuits with low-grip scenarios. I've only ever seen one instance of that kind of test and it involved a modified car making impractically slow slaloms between cones.

Well, too old drivers are also dangerous, plus those who simply shouldn't drive at all. A driving test every 5-10 years would be a very good thing, just as with anything else that is dangerous to operate, such as guns.

Sweden and the other Scandinavian countries already have compulsory ice road tests. Either on icy roads in winter or special wet tracks or spider cars that have extra wheels lifting the entire car up in order to reduce traction. Often includes parts such as animals rushing out in front of you where you have to avoid it without losing control. Had to take the same test via the army to drive their minivans as minivans are so much heavier than normal cars by default they have a higher risk so they wont let you drive them without extra training. Lots of fun as well, wet track with blank wheels, did a 360 with a minivan just to get a feel for it as I had been in total control all the previous runs...

Basically what Sweden has:

To get a driving license: Eye test, health check, theory test, ice test, practical test (driving in public, no closed circuits, only after a driving school thinks you're ready)

Gun license: Theory/safety test, membership in a club (not needed for hunting), practical test that you're able to use a gun (precision shooting via the club) and each gun registered to the police who also checks the criminal records...

Not really sure why so many Americans are so against such simple things that would ensure that insane people can't get a hold of a gun as easily...

Quoted

(14:06:57) Riesig: I should stop now. People might get sig material again

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

• "Nick 30075" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jan 7th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Wednesday, October 7th 2015, 11:53pm

Not really sure why so many Americans are so against such simple things that would ensure that insane people can't get a hold of a gun as easily...

Maybe because they know that they'd have a problem getting one? lol
Emperor Nick of the Cult of Defibrillation
Sith Deity of Thread-Killing

I'm basically just a degenerate weeb who doesn't post much nowadays.

I'm secretly Old Man Symthic

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Words of Wisdom (not really)

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

You're fedorable :love:

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

I have the highest postcount. Nick doesn't count.

Quoted

23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm -
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Okay
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm stabbing everyone
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Bye guys
23:44 Nick: *flips table*
23:44 Legion: Bye, happy stabbing
23:44 *** Lt_Col_Jesus quit (Quit: off to murder the public at large).

Quoted

10:41 LB: You just...reanimated Steve Jobs.
10:41 Dice: Well that would be unfortunate, I was just getting used to him being dead.

Quoted from "Pheozero"

... fuck. Damn you hindsight!

Quoted

23:58 Failure117: CAUSE IM FREEE
23:58 Nick: AS A BIIIIRD NOW
23:58 Failure117: FREEE OF NICK'S WORM RAPE

Quoted

ViperFTW: HEY LOOK
ViperFTW: AN ALIEN LASER FISH THE SIZE OF THE SUN
ViperFTW: I WANT TO SWAT IT WITH MY COMICLY LARGE SWORD
ViperFTW: WITH
ViperFTW: THIS
ViperFTW: AS
ViperFTW: MY
ViperFTW: FUUUUCKING SOUNDTRACK :DDDD
(the album in question)

ToTheSun!

Be Creative.

(5,050)

Date of registration
: Mar 9th 2012

Reputation modifier: 19

Thursday, October 8th 2015, 12:23am

Maybe because they know that they'd have a problem getting one? lol

"911, what's your emergency?"

Date of registration
: Mar 25th 2015

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 4

Thursday, October 8th 2015, 1:40am

Sweden and the other Scandinavian countries already have compulsory ice road tests. Either on icy roads in winter or special wet tracks or spider cars that have extra wheels lifting the entire car up in order to reduce traction. Often includes parts such as animals rushing out in front of you where you have to avoid it without losing control. Had to take the same test via the army to drive their minivans as minivans are so much heavier than normal cars by default they have a higher risk so they wont let you drive them without extra training. Lots of fun as well, wet track with blank wheels, did a 360 with a minivan just to get a feel for it as I had been in total control all the previous runs...

While we don't have that where I live, my job basically fills the same purpose (for better or worse). One day, the roads hadn't been cleaned properly so there was a pretty good layer of snow. I had to go uphill in a RWD truck. I had to hold it in first gear and the truck's ass was partially sideways the whole time (thankfully away from the left lane) but damn it, I got that POS up the hill.

Gun license: Theory/safety test, membership in a club (not needed for hunting), practical test that you're able to use a gun (precision shooting via the club) and each gun registered to the police who also checks the criminal records...

Making a gun registry has its risks. Canada recently abolished its own registry. For starters, there were *insane* cost overruns. the operating costs were supposed to be about 2 million dollars. When it was abolished, the costs had reached the BILLIONS.

Also, there was a lot of conflict and debate on its effectiveness. There was never any decisive argument that the registry created a tangible influence on illegal gun activity.

x5iriu5x

Companion Box

(428)

Date of registration
: Jun 8th 2012

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Saturday, October 17th 2015, 4:50am

Merica'
x5iriu5x has attached the following image:
  • IMG_20150413_150015.jpg
Call me Siri. It makes life simpler. Also hate me. It makes Symthic servers run.

Sorry for my random absences, Soldier life takes priority.