Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

IG

Always trust a Tork!

(1,364)

Date of registration
: Dec 24th 2011

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Friday, August 28th 2015, 5:49pm

universally beneficial

I didnt say religion is universally beneficial. Its a helpful tool for people in crisis; It accelerates the ambitious; It sets the common rules for social behaviour (where every religion shares the same principle)

It depends on the societies understanding of their religion.

The poorest nations have the most religious people because of the situations they live in. It ironically contributes to the poverty cycle because in many cases the societies understanding of religion simply leads them to believe that they are incapable of fixing the present so they simply set their lives dedicated to earning a prosperous afterlife after they die and do very little to fix the issues at present.

The richest countries generally have a population that does not find religion to be a crucial factor in their lives and many of them are lead to believe that they have power to control their own destiny for this reason.
The biggest exception to this is the US, where it is arguably the most dedicated to religion than any other developed country, because their understanding of religion as a society promotes the idea of making the here and now a better place and not strictly worrying about the afterlife.

C0llis

Up and down. Bounce all around

(3,334)

Date of registration
: Apr 15th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Friday, August 28th 2015, 8:35pm

I didnt say religion is universally beneficial. Its a helpful tool for people in crisis; It accelerates the ambitious; It sets the common rules for social behaviour (where every religion shares the same principle)

They need a set of rules of behaviour they can follow. Science doesnt give them things like "Do not kill" or "Do not steal". A set of rules they need in their daily life. This set of common social behaviour is set by religion, not justice courts.
Religious people are not more "moral" than non-religious people . It seems that empathy and the understanding that killing and stealing isn't nice is a very universal thing. The ability to be part of a society and cooperate transcends religion.

In fact, I would be very disappointed in humanity if people required to be given explicit orders by some almighty astral big brother just to not go around and murder each other on a whim.

Here's the full study, sadly it's behind a paywall.

Things people said

And reading Youtube comments still gives me Turbo Cancer.

It really is quite frustrating when Helen Keller sets up her LMG in the only doorway in/out of an area.

What kind of question is that? Since when is cheese ever a bad idea?

Hardline is a fun and sometimes silly Cops and Robbers sorta thing and I think that's great. Or it would be if it didn't suck.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "C0llis" (Aug 28th 2015, 9:05pm)

Date of registration
: Apr 12th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Friday, August 28th 2015, 9:13pm

Just.... just dont try to convince somebody that religion (or somebodys religion in particular) is wrong.

Why not?

Because freedom of religion belongs to fundamental human rights?

@Collis
Just as an anecdote, the four devoted Christians in our social circles, each in their own way, are the most ignorant, least understanding, least humane human beings I have known. An elevated sense of moral superiority and responsibility only to God are valid excuses for all kinds of social douchebaggery.
"Less is more? How can that be? How could less be more, that's impossible. More is more." Yngwie Malmsten
"Many bullets help." WoopsyYaya
"most rhetorically legitimate ad hominem 2015" ToTheSun!

Darktan13

Unhappy Camper

(4,678)

Date of registration
: Feb 13th 2012

Battlelog:

Friday, August 28th 2015, 9:38pm

Just.... just dont try to convince somebody that religion (or somebodys religion in particular) is wrong.

Why not?

Because freedom of religion belongs to fundamental human rights?

And so what? Feel free to re-read the post. It doesn't say, bar people from their beliefs. It says why not try to convince someone that their belief system is wrong if you believe it IS wrong? Not everyone believes in purely positive things, there are systems out there that are or include violent or discriminatory or false things, is it wrong to attempt to convince people out of those?

People are free to believe stuff, people are also free to challenge those beliefs are they not?

Both of you missed the point entirely.

Quoted from "J0hn-Stuart-Mill"

Forger21

for all your voodoo needs

(512)

Date of registration
: Jul 2nd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Friday, August 28th 2015, 9:51pm

It doesn't say, bar people from their beliefs. It says why not try to convince someone that their belief system is wrong if you believe it IS wrong?

Take Voltaire, for example, an outspoken advocate for freedom of religion and an outspoken critic of the Catholic Church. One of the best things about religious tolerance is that people whose beliefs might never be challenged in a less-tolerant society are forced to confront the ideas of those who believe differently.

CobaltRose

I'll be there... around every corner... in every empty room...

(1,219)

Date of registration
: Nov 8th 2013

Battlelog:

Friday, August 28th 2015, 10:46pm

@Blue Panda
Any reason why REP got turned back on though? I thought this was under the off-topic section.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Memorable Quotes

I once tried to burn a bridge, but due to the half-assed levolution implementation it kept standing up just fine.

Compared to the MTAR, the PDR has the TTK of your average pack of cigarettes.

The World Champion, on the Tactical Light:
"Oh don't mind me, I'm just out of ammo and I'll just POCKET SUN!!!!"

What can't be changed can be banned.

I'm completely serious. Well, seriously insane actually :P

If only more people left the wheel chair, adjustable hospital bed, and crutches behind and played HC. (aka Regen, Minimap, Killcam)

Natalia Poklonskaya:
Putin the cute in prosecute since 2014.

I can't look at my own avatar without having to pee. GG Me. GG.

I swear to god if you reply with a picture of the AEK I'll mail you a buttplug shaped like one.

The one time when "it's only three inches" is a good thing.

How do you guys control your FAMAS burst length since it fires its mag in just 1,5 seconds))
I consider each magazine a burst. :/

This is Symthic, we don't do "feels" around here ;)

TheMightyVoice

The Pantless Messiah Returns

(1,830)

Date of registration
: May 22nd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Friday, August 28th 2015, 10:49pm

universally beneficial
Religion tells stupid people how to act and gives them a simpler version of how the world works.

They need a set of rules of behaviour they can follow. Science doesnt give them things like "Do not kill" or "Do not steal". A set of rules they need in their daily life. This set of common social behaviour is set by religion, not justice courts.
Science is totally capable of teaching moral rights and wrongs. Murder and theft are easily explained as wrong because they are disruptive to any organized society and hurt many other people. That's why they're barred in the basic forms of almost all religions, except for the ridiculous edits people in positions of power have come up with where it's okay to steal from or murder certain types of people. Sure, you can explain a lot of things much quicker to someone through [insert deity here], and it's easier to manipulate with fear, but in the end it's more beneficial (in my own observations) to teach through established reverence. I've never failed to teach a young kid these crucial things to function in society without religion. Yes, it takes more time, but, personally, I feel better not using fear to manipulate children.
Eat your heart out, Badger.

Spoiler Spoiler

<elementofprgress> yummm baby jesus
<elementofprgress> but i'd prefer jesus with ketchup

<cloon> women are allowed to play hockey?
<daddygreeenjeans> body checks are a fundamental part of women's suffrage

<Riesig> "... I'M GAY..."

steamboat28: the doctors at the ER found my nipples, too!
steamboat28: it just..y'know...took them a razor and two orderlies.

<Legion> And damn, now I really want some [redacted] penetrator measurements

<Rezal> peipin, why did you tell them you brought your phone?
<Pepin_the_Short> Because there’s like a one in five chance of getting searched on the way out
<Pepin_the_Short> And trying to sneak the fucker out is way worse than letting them look at Cloon’s dick pics.

17:52:08 <Rezal> Unfortunately, this video is not available in your country because it could contain music, for which we could not agree on conditions of use with GEMA.
17:52:15 <ToTheSun> lolgema
17:52:15 <TheMightyVoice> lolgema

<Legion> But I literally am Hitler right now
Somehow my bullets are magnetically attracted to popular Youtubers, but theirs rarely seem to hit me.

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

Date of registration
: Jan 7th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Friday, August 28th 2015, 10:50pm

@Blue Panda
Any reason why REP got turned back on though? I thought this was under the off-topic section.

Yeah, we shouldn't have REP in here.
Emperor Nick of the Cult of Defibrillation
Sith Deity of Thread-Killing

I'm basically just a degenerate weeb who doesn't post much nowadays.

I'm secretly Old Man Symthic

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Words of Wisdom (not really)

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

You're fedorable :love:

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

I have the highest postcount. Nick doesn't count.

Quoted

23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm -
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Okay
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm stabbing everyone
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Bye guys
23:44 Nick: *flips table*
23:44 Legion: Bye, happy stabbing
23:44 *** Lt_Col_Jesus quit (Quit: off to murder the public at large).

Quoted

10:41 LB: You just...reanimated Steve Jobs.
10:41 Dice: Well that would be unfortunate, I was just getting used to him being dead.

Quoted from "Pheozero"

... fuck. Damn you hindsight!

Quoted

23:58 Failure117: CAUSE IM FREEE
23:58 Nick: AS A BIIIIRD NOW
23:58 Failure117: FREEE OF NICK'S WORM RAPE

Quoted

ViperFTW: HEY LOOK
ViperFTW: AN ALIEN LASER FISH THE SIZE OF THE SUN
ViperFTW: I WANT TO SWAT IT WITH MY COMICLY LARGE SWORD
ViperFTW: WITH
ViperFTW: THIS
ViperFTW: AS
ViperFTW: MY
ViperFTW: FUUUUCKING SOUNDTRACK :DDDD
(the album in question)

yugas42

(1,387)

Date of registration
: Sep 1st 2012

Battlelog:

Friday, August 28th 2015, 11:50pm

@Blue Panda

I just mentioned that about an hour ago, it was removed. We thought it would be off because this is a child forum of Off-Topic, but apparently it didn't inherit the setting.

CobaltRose

I'll be there... around every corner... in every empty room...

(1,219)

Date of registration
: Nov 8th 2013

Battlelog:

Saturday, August 29th 2015, 12:09am

@Blue Panda
I just mentioned that about an hour ago, it was removed. We thought it would be off because this is a child forum of Off-Topic, but apparently it didn't inherit the setting.
technology, amirite?
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Memorable Quotes

I once tried to burn a bridge, but due to the half-assed levolution implementation it kept standing up just fine.

Compared to the MTAR, the PDR has the TTK of your average pack of cigarettes.

The World Champion, on the Tactical Light:
"Oh don't mind me, I'm just out of ammo and I'll just POCKET SUN!!!!"

What can't be changed can be banned.

I'm completely serious. Well, seriously insane actually :P

If only more people left the wheel chair, adjustable hospital bed, and crutches behind and played HC. (aka Regen, Minimap, Killcam)

Natalia Poklonskaya:
Putin the cute in prosecute since 2014.

I can't look at my own avatar without having to pee. GG Me. GG.

I swear to god if you reply with a picture of the AEK I'll mail you a buttplug shaped like one.

The one time when "it's only three inches" is a good thing.

How do you guys control your FAMAS burst length since it fires its mag in just 1,5 seconds))
I consider each magazine a burst. :/

This is Symthic, we don't do "feels" around here ;)