Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "Time Itself" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jan 10th 2013

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Sunday, April 13th 2014, 12:09am

Length Scale

I was poking around the titanfall files and found this for the various player models in \scripts\players\mp\

Source code

"stand"
	{
		footstepWalkSoundRadius	32
		footstepRunSoundRadius	256
		footstepMinSpeed		30
		footstepInterval		400
		footstepIntervalSprint	275

viewheight "0 0 60"
		firstpersonproxyoffset "0 0 -60"
		hull_min "-16 -16 0"
		hull_max "16 16 72"

speed			180.6
		sprintspeed		269.85
	}

Which if I interpret correctly says that the camera should be 60u off the ground and the top of the player hitbox 72u tall. A reasonable conclusion would be that 1u=1inch. That would give us 6' pilots and 19'5" atlas titans. However the values listed in the symthic stats charts would relatively be 3/4 of these. Or, 4'6" pilots. While they're all just arbitrary game measurements I think an adjustment would be appropriate to bring things more to the scale player expect. Oh, and thanks for the great stats page.

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,661)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Platform: PC

Reputation modifier: 17

Sunday, April 13th 2014, 12:21am

It might be just the fact it's 1am here and I am preeeetty tired, but I am not sure what you're suggesting exactly. We're using formula from here which seemingly gives exact results (testing distances in game provides same sort of values in meters)
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Sunday, April 13th 2014, 12:27am

Yup, that's what the stats table is using. What I want to know is, is my assumption about what the values in \scripts\players\mp\ correct (pilots are 72u tall when standing with the camera at 60)? And if so, do we really want to say that the pilots are 4.5 feet tall?

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,661)

Date of registration

Sunday, April 13th 2014, 12:34am

Well that would require more testing, but it could be game's way to make pilots look smaller than titans and give sense of scale (just assumptions here). Altho it would be a lot more practical to make human's to their "natural" size so you can get something you can use as measurement while making maps etc.
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Sunday, April 13th 2014, 12:41am

Thanks for the link, got me this which answers the question, actually just deeper down the rabbit hole but its a start. Player Entity - Valve Developer Community

Quoted

By default, the Player Hull is 32 units wide and 32 units deep, and 72
units high for a Standing/Running/etc Player or 36 units high when
Crouching.

Quoted

You may also want to modify the gamerules.cpp to look like this. The
dimensions specified are a normal human size, rather than the 4'6"
midget that the defaults specify:
In otherwords, we need to track down the gamerules.cpp for titanfall or some fairly accurate test to know.

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,661)

Date of registration

Sunday, April 13th 2014, 12:45am

In otherwords, we need to track down the gamerules.cpp for titanfall or some fairly accurate test to know.

Yeah well, good luck getting even part of souce code from game released by EA.
Units might not be 100% correct in that case, but they are still in same scale as original's so comparing them between is correct (5m is 2x longer than 10m etc). Altho when I tested, I got pretty close to 5m/s when running at a marked point with distance meter but this is just an approximation once again.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Sunday, April 13th 2014, 12:58am

I'd expect things to be consistent, would be very concerning otherwise. Say I want to know the size of an explosion relative to a pilot?

I'm sure the explosion sizes relative to each other are correct, but what about the pilot? Is it the 72u shown here or the 96 that is implied by the suggested modification?

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,661)

Date of registration

Sunday, April 13th 2014, 1:03am

Uuuh I'll return to this tomorrow when I have slept well xD. My mind is just not computing at all atm, since I still can't see the problem here (No need to explain again, the problem is in my end atm).

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,661)

Date of registration

Sunday, April 13th 2014, 11:58am

*yaaaawn* aaaand back.
Hmm, I think there's more reason to believe all distance units are the same everywhere. I can't think of any good reason why anybody would use many different distance units in scripts alone (Maybe in models and such, but that's whole other thing). Agaaain, all these are just assumptions so nothing is sure, but nothing stops developers from making player characters 5m tall or .5m tall as long as they keep everything else in relative sizes.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Sunday, April 13th 2014, 3:29pm

I know, who would do a thing like that? Why not just use the same length unit for everything? But here we have Valve saying that instead of altering the default player model size the method explained is to give the player models different scale than the rest of the map. Maybe some of the modders have noted what's going on as they pull the different assets from the game. In the mean time I think I have a test that'll give an answer. Of course there wouldn't be anything stopping Respawn from using something other than the .75:1 scale but I don't want to think about where that leaves us.