Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "thefissk" started this thread

Date of registration
: Feb 1st 2013

Platform: PC

Reputation modifier: 1

Sunday, March 3rd 2013, 11:46pm

Planetside 2 Recoil Charts

PS2 Recoil Charts have come to the Symthic Forums! the charts represent the guns being fired 15 times at a wall 10 meters from where you are standing in 10 shot bursts. The Center of the cross-hairs in is where the gun was pointing at time 0. Firing from the Hip is shown in yellow, ADS is shown in green. Guns were all fired as fast as possible. All assumptions can be found at the bottom of this post.

If you want to see these guns in a side-by-side comparison at a variety of ranges go to my Google Spreadsheet . While there you can also look at all the wonderful math that drives this and download the simulation for use with your own spreadsheet software.

I have no conclusive data on weapon attachments. If you know where I could find them I would be happy to add them

All the data comes directly from the client and is extracted using the Pack extracter by Frankelstner. his awesome work can be found here pack archives

Credit must also be given to Microsoft, creator of this data sheet. I got the Weapon ID's from this sheet, and most of the data was found by Microsoft, i simply interpreted it.

New Conglomerate

Spoiler Spoiler

all graphs are the same scale

Nanite Systems

Spoiler Spoiler

all graphs are at the same scale

Terran Republic

Spoiler Spoiler

All graphs are the same scale

Vanu Sovereignty

Spoiler Spoiler

all graphs are the same scale

Miscellaneous Assumptions and Notes

Spoiler Spoiler

RECOIL_MAGNITUDE_MIN, RECOIL_MAGNITUDE_MAX, RECOIL_ANGLE_MIN, RECOIL_ANGLE_MAX, COF MIN, COF MAX, COF CHANGE, and FIRST SHOT MULTIPLIER are all assumed to be in degrees, projectile speed and GRAVITY (aka bullet drop) is assumed to be m/s

RECOIL_HORIZONTAL_MIN RECOIL_HORIZONTAL_MAX, and RECOIL_HORIZONTAL_TOLERANCE do not reflect what I see in-game and are therefore omitted.

a few guns have values for RECOIL_HORIZONTAL_MIN_INCREASE and RECOIL_HORIZONTAL_MAX_INCREASE, it is difficult to test what these do so i am not sure. at this time though they are omitted

The Lasher's ADS stats are worse than those from the HIP that is why you don't see and yellow spots on its chart, they are all hidden behind the ADS spots

See any typos or omissions? Be sure to inform me of them so I can make the necessary changes. That being said Shotguns, Sniper Rifles, the Jackhammer, and the Semi Auto Scout Rifles will not be added because there recoil is too big.

Currently the plots for the following guns are inaccurate: (however this differences are smallish so they should be mostly accurate just not 100%)
Carnage BR (AR)

Reaper DMR (AR)

AF-19 Mercenary (CARBINE)

TRAC-5 (CARBINE)

VX29 Polaris (LMG)

Lasher (HEAVY SPECIAL)

Eidolon (BATTLE RIFLE)

Warden (BATTLE RIFLE)

AMR-66 (BATTLE RIFLE)

I hope to change these soon but I am quite busy so i may be a while

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "thefissk" (Apr 8th 2013, 8:28am)

Dove

Unregistered

Tuesday, March 26th 2013, 6:37am

Very nicely done. May I enquire as to the range that the plots where taken at?

Date of registration

Tuesday, March 26th 2013, 7:14am

10 meters, but realize that the only difference between the graphs at 10 meters and those at any other range is the scale and the amount of drop. in other words the shape (up and right, straight up, etc) will remain the same across all ranges

Date of registration
: Feb 26th 2013

Thursday, April 4th 2013, 2:46am

On your data sheet, columns I,J, L and M. You have two nested vlookups in these coulmns, the deeper vlookup looks for coulmn 41 when it should be column 40. That will stop all of your COF MIN values from being 2. This should change all of your graphs somewhat. Also in these columns sometimes your range to lookup starts at A$2, sometimes A$3 and sometimes A$4, depends on the cell. Probably a good idea to make these all A$2.

In column O you should lookup column 59 instead of column 60. Look at making all of the ranges the same also. This should change things quite a bit, being first shot multiplier.

Columns P and Q, the lookups are out by one also, they should be 80 and 81 respectively. Ditto on ranges not being the same. You do not seem to have actually used these columns (RECOIL_HORIZONTAL_MIN and RECOIL_HORIZONTAL_MAX) in your math sheet though, I am not sure how you would apply them or what they have as an effect to be honest. It would be good to note in your assumptions that these are not taken into account though.

There are also columns in FireModes called "RECOIL_HORIZONTAL_TOLERANCE", "RECOIL_INCREASE" and "RECOIL_INCREASE_CROUCHED" which you have not used. I don't know exactly what they do but they are another good candidate for assumptions. Note that "RECOIL_INCREASE" is either zero or one but "RECOIL_INCREASE_CROUCHED" is always zero so I guess that could be omitted.

Also there are columns in FireModes called "RECOIL_HORIZONTAL_MIN_INCREASE" and "RECOIL_HORIZONTAL_MAX_INCREASE" which have values of zero for everything except it has values of 0.2 for the below weapons, no idea what it does either but another candidate for assumptions:
SABR-13 (AR)
Warden (BATTLE RIFLE)
AMR-66 (BATTLE RIFLE)
Eidolon VE33 (BATTLE RIFLE)

Also there is a column in FireModes called "RECOIL_SHOTS_AT_MIN_MAGNITUDE". It has a value of 0 for every weapon except for the ones below which have a value of 1. The below weapons should probably start at zero recoil for the second shot as well as the first shot (which is what you use in your Maths sheet) and then have the first shot modifier applied to the third shot instead of the second shot (which is what you use in your Maths sheet):
Carnage BR (AR)
Reaper DMR (AR)
AF-19 Mercenary (CARBINE)
TRAC-5 (CARBINE)
VX29 Polaris (LMG)
Lasher (HEAVY SPECIAL)
Eidolon (BATTLE RIFLE)
Warden (BATTLE RIFLE)
AMR-66 (BATTLE RIFLE)

I have also been examining your maths but got a little lost at some points. It is harder to understand what you are doing without knowing your thoughts and intentions. If you would care to explain the columns and what they represent I would be happy to check your work? This is a great idea you have and I would love to see this fully functional, if I can help let me know.

Can I ask one question, on your above forum post with the many plots of recoil patterns you have an unusual crosshair pattern. Does the centre of this crosshair represent where the gun was pointing at time zero?

Date of registration

Thursday, April 4th 2013, 6:18am

thanks for your back-checking, the things you noted were very helpful. I have fixed all incorrect vlookups, these problems were caused by SOE removing some of the columns from their sheets and i didn't clue in that it would cause a problem. also thanks for pointing out the RECOIL_SHOTS_AT_MIN_MAGNITUDE, i have implemented changes to take this into account. also i have been working on a creating something that explains the math for way to long, PM me and i can arrange for you to get a copy when i finally get around to finishing it, it would definitely be nice to have someone to check over my maths.

Date of registration

Thursday, April 4th 2013, 11:08am

I see your changes and they look good now, well done on the fixes and well done on such a useful undertaking. One more observation, on the graph sheets (1m, 10m, 25m, 50m and 100m) the value of the name of weapon 2 is #REF. Simple one to fix.

One other suggestion, I don't know how hard it would be to implement. The dots on the graph page are all yellow, if the first shot of each sample was red and then the second was a little more orange and then the third more orange and so on until the tenth shot was yellow it would show an interesting pattern of how the automatic fire progresses. Basically a colour range from Red through Orange to Yellow. Like the image below:

On second thought about the RECOIL_SHOTS_AT_MIN_MAGNITUDE field, perhaps it just means that is how many shots that the RECOIL_MAGNITUDE_MIN field will be applied and not a range somewhere between RECOIL_MAGNITUDE_MIN and RECOIL_MAGNITUDE_MAX.

Can I ask one question, on your above forum post with the many plots of recoil patterns you have an unusual crosshair pattern. Does the centre of this crosshair represent where the gun was pointing at time zero?

I will PM you my email address to receive any further info on the maths.

Date of registration

Thursday, April 4th 2013, 11:54am

Also just an FYI, RECOIL_MAGNITUDE_MIN and RECOIL_MAGNITUDE_MAX are identical on every weapon except for the MAX AV weapons which are 0.2/0.4 and the Lasher which is 0.15/0.4.

It might be worth ditching the two columns and simplify your sheet, then again you have already done it so I guess it is no extra work to do. :)

Date of registration
: Apr 30th 2012

Reputation modifier: 2

Friday, April 5th 2013, 9:34am

Lasher actually has different min/max recoil magnitude depending on whether you're adsing or hip firing - .15-.4 from the hip, .2-.4 down the sights.

Date of registration

Friday, April 5th 2013, 3:40pm

Good Catch, the Lasher seems to be the only relevant weapon with that discrepancy though. Mana AV turrets and MAXes also have different values for ADS and HIP firing Recoil Magnitude MIN/MAX but since they don't have HIP firing mode in game they aren't really relevant.

Lasher is an odd weapon, the average Recoil Magnitude is higher when ADS rather than HIP, the minimum COF is worse for all values of ADS rather than HIP but the COF Bloom is better for ADS rather than HIP. Basically everything is backwards except for COF Bloom.

I am guessing they have an error there but since my main is VS I'm not telling.

Date of registration

Friday, April 5th 2013, 4:12pm

On the 10m Graph Page, the 2nd weapon says HIP (which is what I chose for the second weapon. :)