Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

adfadfadf

Unregistered

Thursday, December 6th 2012, 4:41pm

How to dog fight in PS2?

So there's no speed-related turning rate in PS2 and no Air Radar. Although I am not a good pilot in BF3, my question is how do you dog fight properly in PS2? Keep turning like a maniac until catching the smoke trail of your foe? Or something smarter?

Thanks!

adfadfadf

Unregistered

Thursday, December 6th 2012, 4:50pm

Oh so I found out there's a scout radar cert, but you have to replace flare, pretty bad IMO.

Date of registration
: Jun 22nd 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Saturday, December 8th 2012, 9:13am

My favourite dogfighting technique in both Battlefield and Planetside is to behave like a nutcase. It doesn't work for everyone, but that is sort of the point. Flying through the tech lab walkway, under the legs of a biodome or through a narrow cliff-break or valley, not everyone will be crazy enough to follow you, but you have to get familiar with the clearance of your vehicle and advanced movement using altitude control.

If you have a gaming mouse with multiple buttons, I'd recommend adding a secondary bind for pitch up and pitch down to your thumb buttons. This allows you to use a button press to get a maximum turning circle. I fly Reavers, so I need every advantage I can get against the more maneuverable Scythe and Mosquito.

Use the altitude control in interesting ways. Usually, you just use (default) ctrl and space to go up or down, but remember that this is relevant to your vehicle orientation, so jamming on the space bar when you're upside down will send you downward. If you use it after rolling right, you will move (not turn) right. This comes in very handy when doing the nutcase moves I mentioned earlier. Good use of ctrl and spacebar will allow you to better hug close to objects or the ground, or get that extra climb to get over an upcoming hill.

Also, remember the cool-down timer is long. If you want to last in a fighter, be an engineer. Set a personal waypoint back in your territory, so you can instantly power back into safe territory to repair and ideally find a landing pad to refill on ammo. You can see the cooldown timer on the vehicle health icon, so when it disappears you can afford to play much more aggressively, because if you get killed you'll be able to grab another fighter straight away.

adfadfadf

Unregistered

Saturday, December 8th 2012, 12:02pm

I appreciate your reply and I get your point, but IMO threading the needle is not very useful. Dogfighting still comes down to out-turning your opponent. Just like in this video Battlefield 3 Jet Dogfighting: 1ron-tjunfisk vs Kakeninja - YouTube

I think the VTOL dog fighting should be much more hectic and creative than the standard BF3 dogfighting in that video. Just wanna know if anybody here has figured it out.

Date of registration
: Oct 29th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 4

Saturday, December 8th 2012, 1:36pm

IMO dogfighting still comes down to out-turning your opponent: Battlefield 3 Jet Dogfighting: 1ron-tjunfisk vs Kakeninja - YouTube

But I am also wanna know if anybody here has figured it out. Dogfighting in VTOL should be different from standard BF3 jet duels.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, December 8th 2012, 1:37pm

Somehow I posted this twice....

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "XDrz" (Dec 8th 2012, 6:47pm)

Date of registration
: Nov 17th 2012

Battlelog:

Sunday, December 9th 2012, 4:58pm

I wouldn't compare the dogfighting in this game to BF3 mainly because of the fighters total lack of real'ish flight physics and the ability to hover like a helicopter.

Best chance at winning in a dogfight is to be the first one to react and the one being the attacker. Losing a good pilot was pretty hard in BF3, and it's even harder in this game.

If you're the one chasing, good. Just stay on them and don't get too close (it'll be harder to predict where they go and you might ram into their wreck if you blow them up).

Now, if you're the one being chased.. well.. good luck. You'll need it.

As mentioned by Princessbabe, your best bet is to fly hard and dangerous. Flying under buildings is the best way to get rid of most people, since many aren't that confident in their flying to attempt following you.

To avoid fire, fly around tall obstacles as low as you can.

The goal should always be to either lose the tail or flip the situation so you're the one giving chase. For this, somewhat similar to BF3, slowing down and turning hard can work. You can attempt variations, such as different angles for turns (eg. start turn left, but continue up) but don't rely on turning too much. If you just turn around in a circle very hard, this can make it very easy to for the attacker to simply stop mid air since the fighters can hover, and blast you away.

Stopping can be also used as a defensive manouver.

When you stop, this often forces the pilot chasing you to stop as well. You should try to use this to your advantage. A trick you can try is flying behind tall obstacles and stopping behind them, as this can obscure the view and surprise the chaser. Another thing is to make full use of the ascend/descend controls (ctrl, space), as this will allow you to hopefully dodge their fire.

If you're out in the open with not much cover, stopping can be a successful tactic, but be aware it will make you an easy target, so you need to be able to hit with your gun/rockets when they come for you and preferably have full afterburner for getaways.

One trick with stopping in particular is to attempt stopping right above the ground. Then, when your opponent stops, try to fly above them. This forces them to tilt their nose up, and can in certain situations cause them to ram into the ground if they're not careful, blowing them up.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Sunday, December 9th 2012, 6:11pm

I really appreciate your reply! I feel the same that it's hard to survive in the aircraft and also because the cool down of flares is so long.
I'll try out your tips. The difference of this game and BF is that my vehicle is mine and if I don't utilize them, I am not helping my team enough. While back in BF I just let the pros fly the aircrafts. So I am somewhat forced to learn to fly, which I am quite happy about it. I don't have to worry about hurting my team too much when my ship got shot down.

Date of registration
: Jun 28th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Sunday, December 9th 2012, 8:07pm

The best way to fly is to fly with a friend. Or two. Or five.

But if you're alone, pretty much the only thing you can do to survive if you're being chased by another ESF is this maneuver.

Date of registration
: Jul 24th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Sunday, December 9th 2012, 11:35pm

1- If chasing, keeping the right distance will keep anyone from out turning you because in planetside you can switch from full throttle to hovering still pretty fast. Only race if they try to run away instead of maneuvering.
2 - By keeping the distance you will have to be able to shoot predicting the trajectory. That's IMO the most important skill you need.
3 - As soon as you notice the target is trying to pull the "Air Reverse Maneuver" go full break, wait until they complete it. (by that time they will be standing still looking at you, but with spent afterburner, and no momentum to run)
Just tilt (roll) your ESF in a 45 degree angle and keep shooting, you will be a moving target, they will be a still target trying to gain momentum to actually hit you. You should be able to out aim them.
4 - Only try the "Air reverse Maneuver" after a sharp turn around a big rock or building so they can't notice what you are up to. Also, if you do the sharp turn on your "belly" you can link one into another, start sharp turn on the ESF's belly
while then just hit the brakes and to the maneuver.
5 - If being chased Spiral your way to the nearest friendly AA or warpgate. If none of those are close you were doing it wrong.
6 - As soon as you notice you are being locked start running away, wait a sec after the launch of the A2A or G2A and then use the flare (to buy you time). While doing this DON'T use your after burner.
7 - If a second lock happens it's most likely and ESF pursuing you, you can actually outrun the second A2A missle, that's why you should use afterburner on the step 6. Use it now.
8 - To avoid being caught off guard fly high 700m~900m. Get them from above, and pick your targets wisely, don't jump between 3 enemy ESFs.
9 - ESFs from the back or from above, Libs from above (keep distance, if he decides to pitch up, he can ram you to death), Gals from below or great distances.
10 - Always fly knowing where to run to, I usually keep my waypoint on a safe base, and not on my target.
11 - If you noticed 2 ESFs are flying together (actually communicating with eachother). Leave them be, unless you think you can strike one so hard it will go down before the other gets in your tail. (which will always make you fell like a badass)
12 - If the enemy pilot seems dumb (don't recognize you ESF's sound getting behind him and keep the same speed and direction as you line your shot) wait to get really close to unload the magazine on him for a quick kill.
13 - Pay attention to the sounds, specially if you are being locked. It helps differentiate between heavy assaults and ESFs so you know when to boost or just fly away without looking back.
14 - Heatseeker Missiles are slow, if you make a sharp turn around an object it will much more likely than in battlefield to make a sharper turn and hit the object. That usually don't happen in BF3 because missiles have more momentum there.
15 - Learn the optimal angle to fly with the space bar. Hold W and the Space bar, see when you stop gaining or losing altitude, that's when your speed vector parallel to the ground. Try to remember those (with and without afterburner)

Those are the things I usually try to keep in my mind while flying. If I can remember something else I'll edit here.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "noxvenator" (Dec 9th 2012, 11:49pm)