Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "Bizargh" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jun 4th 2014

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Thursday, March 17th 2016, 1:58pm

PlanetSide 2 Audio Files (Brief Guide)

I have managed to provide the audio files as of April 2018 for PlanetSide 2 (Along with the now gone PlanetSide) here: PlanetSide & PlanetSide 2 Audio Files
But for those who want to be prepared for future updates, perform the process for themselves and/or have issues downloading the provided audio files, this guide should serve as a simple substitute.

STEP ONE
You'll need a tool called ps2ls (I believe it's pronounced "Pee Ess Two-ools") to extract the games assets. You can download the latest version along with basic instructions from the PlanetSide 2 forums here: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/ind…de-tools.54360/

The tool is designed to automatically locate all of the Asset.pak files (Asset_000.pak through Asset_255.pak) via what it's indicating to me as the following directory: C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide\Resources\Assets

Since I use it via Steam, or there may have been changes since the reform of Daybreak Game Company after Sony dropped SOE as the tool was last updated in 2013, I'll give you my basic rundown;
  1. Once you open ps2ls.exe, if it hasn't automatically detected the asset.pak files click the "Add Packs" icon below "Asset Browser" and navigate to your PlanetSide 2 game folder (Ex. Steam: [Storage Device] > Steam > steamapps > common > PlanetSide 2), then Resources > Assets. Once in there, it's recommended you just highlight & import every single one of them as all of the data is spread out across each of them.
  2. As this point, the files you are looking for are FSB. Although you can highlight all of the Asset packs, I wouldn't recommend it as even on my high-end PC, the tool crashes trying to do so. The best thing to do is highlight up to 12-20 of them at a time.
  3. Once you've selected your Asset packs, you can do either of the following:
    • Select "Extract Selected Packs..." or Right Click & select "Extract [No.] Packs..." to extract all of the contents into a desired location until you've extracted from all 255 Asset.pak files.
    • Type into the Search Bar ".fsb"/".FSB" so that only the FSB Audio Files are located, highlight all of the FSB Files found, then select "Extract Selected Files..." to extract the FSB files from all 255 Asset.pak files. Bear in mind there are 4 .WAV files in the Asset packs (At least at the time of writing), so be sure to search for them during or after the process.

4. At this point, if you've saved all of the data into one location, don't be shocked if it takes a while to load it all (Even on my desktop SSD, it can be a bit of a wait). If you did a total extraction from the Asset.pak files, just sort by file type and delete everything that isn't an FSB nor WAV file (There are at least 4 WAV files not packed into an FSB, so look out for those), then you'll be left with just the audio.

STEP TWO
Now, you'll need a tool to convert the FSB files into WAVs. There are numerous options for PlanetSide 2, but I'm going to recommend you the one I've come to deem as the best one for the task with it being the most reliable & extracting the audio in what I'm lead to believe is their genuine quality.

I happened to stumble upon a tool called "fsb_aud_extr.exe", provided in a XeNTaX topic relevant to Ori and The Blind Forest's FSB Files by brendan19 or Infernus Animositas on FFShrine's forums. As the MEGA link is no longer active, it's included within the FSB file collection as well as seperately provided with via my personal MediaFire: https://www.mediafire.com/file/375i5kkdg…sb_aud_extr.zip (The "Source.txt" file contains info on where to locate & download it from present origins).

Typically, with this type of tool, all you need to do is simply have your chosen FSB files & fsb_aud_extr.exe with it's companion .DLL files in the same folder, drag & drop your FSB file onto fsb_aud_extr.exe and it'll unpack/extract the audio file within (In this case, a WAV file). However, this can only be done one file at a time, and with 60,000+ files in PlanetSide 2's audio library, that's just an inhuman task if you want a whole collection. However, with the creation of a ".BAT" file (Which I have included as "Convert_All.bat" with the fsb_aud_extr.exe), you can just double-click/run the .BAT file and that'll let fsb_aud_extr.exe convert every single FSB file in the folder in one go.

If you find yourself without a .BAT file, simply create a new text/.txt file, copy & paste the following:

Quoted

for %%i in (*.fsb) do fsb_aud_extr.exe %%i
pause
then save as "[Name].bat" or change the ".txt" file extension to ".bat", then you'll have what you need to do the conversion in one go.

Now whilst this will work on just about every single FSB file from PlanetSide 2, there are a small & select number of files fsb_aud_extr.exe can't work with:

Quoted

AMB_DUST_ FX_3D_LP_01.fsb
AMB_DUST_ FX_3D_LP_02.fsb
WPN_AR NC_BAYONET_MISS.fsb
WPN_AR NC_FIDGET_01.fsb
WPN_AR NC_FIDGET_02.fsb
WPN_AR NC_FIDGET_03.fsb
WPN_AR NC_RELOAD_MID_MAG_IN.fsb
WPN_AR NC_RELOAD_MID_MAGAZINE.fsb
WPN_AR NC_RELOAD_RACK_END.fsb
WPN_AR NC_RELOAD_START.fsb
WPN_AR NC_SIGHTS_TO_IDLE.fsb
WPN_AR NC_SIGHTS_TO_IDLE_02.fsb
WPN_AR NC_SIGHTS_TO_IDLE_03.fsb
WPN_AR NC_SIGHTS_TO_IDLE_04.fsb
WPN_PS NC_RELOAD_MAGAZINE_END.fsb
WPN_PS NC_RELOAD_START.fsb

Basically, a lot of the New Conglomerate Assault Rifle foley & reload SFX
The reason for this is there are typos in the file-names that leave Spaces, and fsb_aud_extr.exe (Nor do I imagine any other similar tool) can't seem to work with Spaces. However, simply correcting the file names to have an Underscore in place of the Space will have them working properly with fsb_aud_extr.exe.

Just in case you're not spotting where those unintended Spaces are, here's the list of file-names with the corrections:

Quoted

AMB_DUST_FX_3D_LP_01.fsb
AMB_DUST_FX_3D_LP_02.fsb
WPN_AR_NC_BAYONET_MISS.fsb
WPN_AR_NC_FIDGET_01.fsb
WPN_AR_NC_FIDGET_02.fsb
WPN_AR_NC_FIDGET_03.fsb
WPN_AR _NC_RELOAD_MID_MAG_IN.fsb
WPN_AR_NC_RELOAD_MID_MAGAZINE.fsb
WPN_AR_NC_RELOAD_RACK_END.fsb
WPN_AR_NC_RELOAD_START.fsb
WPN_AR_NC_SIGHTS_TO_IDLE.fsb
WPN_AR_NC_SIGHTS_TO_IDLE_02.fsb
WPN_AR_NC_SIGHTS_TO_IDLE_03.fsb
WPN_AR_NC_SIGHTS_TO_IDLE_04.fsb
WPN_PS_NC_RELOAD_MAGAZINE_END.fsb
WPN_PS_NC_RELOAD_START.fsb
It's also worth noting that for the Overseer dialogue (Or "DX_OVERSEER"), all languages aside from English have FSB files that are presumably blank, as they have no data to extract. Thankfully, it's easy to deduce them as they are only 1KB in size, there's 88 for them for each language, and at a glance are consistently named.

I have both these & the previous files with name errors neatly arranged into their own folders in the native FSB File collection I have for download, so that can save you hunting them down.

CONCLUSION
Hopefully this will be enough information & resources to accessing & extracting the audio of PlanetSide 2 for yourself. PlanetSide 2 is naturally free to play, but I don't think you'll be able to avoid creating a Daybreak Account if you want the most up-to-date data as the game is updated through the game's launcher, even if installed via Steam.
Inconsistant Machinima-Maker,
Semi-Nocturnal Englishman, Zany Incarnate, Unverified Audiophiliac, just
generally a Bizargh Individual.

http://YouTube.com/Bizargh

This post has been edited 7 times, last edit by "Bizargh" (Apr 30th 2018, 3:48pm)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, May 18th 2016, 5:28am

Just updated the guide with some newly discovered information that should make the extraction process exponentially quicker. Hopefully this means after I'm done converting my sorted 2015 files then catch up with the Construction Update and sort that out (Just in case future updates removed anything, as the Credits music is oddly absent these days and a fair bit of dialogue has remained unused for a long time), I'll be able to provide all of the files here in WAV format.

But in case you naturally would rather not wait on this slowpoke, the guide should cover your needs (Assuming you have Windows Powershell like I never knew I had until asked).

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, July 5th 2016, 7:48pm

Just updated the guide with yet another method I happened to discover.

But for those who "ain't got time for that", the files are now up for download: http://forum.symthic.com/off-topic/other…-2-audio-files/

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, April 30th 2018, 3:52pm

Just gave the guide a much needed rewrite to update it with a new & much more simpler process after discovering some mistakes I made leading to a far more complicated process than was necessary.

But for those more keen for the files themselves, I have also updated my collection of extractions here as per the guide, now with a far more friendly download size of the WAV extractions (8.04GB instead of the original 24GB), along with the original FSB files that include the tool as used in the guide: PlanetSide & PlanetSide 2 Audio Files