Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "Bizargh" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jun 4th 2014

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 4

Thursday, March 17th 2016, 1:58pm

PlanetSide 2 Audio Files (Brief Guide)

I have managed to provide the audio files as of June 2016 for PlanetSide 2 (Along with the now killed-off PlanetSide) here: PlanetSide & PlanetSide 2 Audio Files
But for those who want to be prepared for future updates, are not able to download the 17.9GB and/or store the 24.9GB of WAV files, this guide should serve as a simple substitute.

FIRST
You'll need a tool called ps2ls (I believe it's pronounced "Pee Ess Two-ools") to extract the games assets. You can download the latest version along with basic instructions from the PlanetSide 2 forums here: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/ind…de-tools.54360/

The tool is designed to automatically locate all of the Asset.pak files (Asset_000.pak through Asset_255.pak) via what it's indicating to me as the following directory: C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide\Resources\Assets

Since I use it via Steam, or there may have been changes since the reform of Daybreak Game Company after Sony dropped SOE as the tool was last updated in 2013, I'll give you my basic rundown;

1. Once you open ps2ls.exe, if it hasn't automatically detected the asset.pak files click the "Add Packs" icon below "Asset Browser" and navigate to your PlanetSide 2 game folder (Ex. Steam: [Storage Device] > Steam > steamapps > common > PlanetSide 2), then Resources > Assets. Once in there, it's recommended you just highlight & import every single one of them as all of the data is spread out across each of them.
  2. As this point, the files you are looking for are FSB. Although you can highlight all of the Asset packs, I wouldn't recommend it as even on my high-end PC, the tool crashes trying to do so. The best thing to do is highlight up to 12 of them at a time, and extract all of the contents into a desired location until you've extracted from all 255 Asset.pak files.
  3. At this point, if you've saved all of the data into one location, don't be shocked if it takes a while to load it all (Even on my desktop SSD, it can be a bit of a wait). Then just sort by file type, and delete everything that isn't an FSB file (Unless you spot some spare WAV in there, so keep those if you spot them), then you'll be left with just the audio.

SECOND
Now, you'll need a tool to covert the FSB files into WAVs. There are three options, one of which may be 100% reliable for all files.

1. Vanulabs, a retired PlanetSide 2 modder, left behind the tools of his work. One of them was FSB2WAV by jseidelin. You can download it from their GitHub: (You'll only need fmodex.dll & fsb2wav.exe, as the other two files are examples of the required FSB and WAV output results): https://github.com/psemu/fsb2wav.
    This one is as simple as drag and drop your FSB file over fsb2wav.exe, and then it'll produce you a WAV conversion/extraction. Unfortunately, the package provided only allows for you to do only one at a time, however if you create a Convall.bat file (Create a text/.txt file, copy paste the following text, save the document, then change the format ".txt" to ".bat") containing the following:

Quoted

@echo off
    for %%a in (*.fsb) do fsb2wav "%%a"
    for %%a in (*.wav) do wav "%%a" --full-setup
    then run the .bat file (With fsb2wav.exe, fmodex.dll & the FSBs together, naturally) and it'll grab everything fsb2wav.exe can grab in one single potentially lengthy task. Note that it only works for the FSB files beginning with MX (Music), DX (VO) & 99% of VEH (Vehicles) presumably due to difference in codecs. So the second option will be the most dependable in acquiring 98-99% of the rest such as WEP (Weapon), EXPLO (Explosion), FS (Footstep), UI and more.

2. I happened to stumble upon a tool called "fsb_aud_extr.exe", provided in a XeNTaX topic relevant to Ori and The Blind Forest's FSB Files by brendan19 or Infernus Animositas on FFShrine's forums. As the MEGA link is no longer active, I've provided it via my personal MediaFire: http://www.mediafire.com/download/375i5k…sb_aud_extr.zip
    Whilst it is recommended to use the first option to get what it can beforehand (Possible higher or more consistent quality extraction), this tool is able to convert a vast majority of the FSB files into WAV, and unlike the below suggestion into PCM DAT, ensuring convenient playback from standard media players, all in a very simple & more straightforward manner. Simply copy the contents of fsb_aud_extr into the folder containing the desired FSB files, double click "batch.bat" and watch the magic happen (Depending on your system or how many of the FSB files were placed in your folder, it could take some time).
    Whilst this will now leave you with just about all of the FSB files turned into WAV files, there are a select few fsb_aud_extr.exe & fsb2wav can't seem to be able to touch:

Quoted

AMB_DUST_ FX_3D_LP_01.fsb
    AMB_DUST_ FX_3D_LP_02.fsb
    WPN_AR NC_BAYONET_MISS.fsb
    WPN_AR NC_FIDGET_01.fsb
    WPN_AR NC_FIDGET_02.fsb
    WPN_AR NC_FIDGET_03.fsb
    WPN_AR NC_RELOAD_MID_MAG_IN.fsb
    WPN_AR NC_RELOAD_MID_MAGAZINE.fsb
    WPN_AR NC_RELOAD_RACK_END.fsb
    WPN_AR NC_RELOAD_START.fsb
    WPN_AR NC_SIGHTS_TO_IDLE.fsb
    WPN_AR NC_SIGHTS_TO_IDLE_02.fsb
    WPN_AR NC_SIGHTS_TO_IDLE_03.fsb
    WPN_AR NC_SIGHTS_TO_IDLE_04.fsb
    WPN_PS NC_RELOAD_MAGAZINE_END.fsb
    WPN_PS NC_RELOAD_START.fsb

Basically, a lot of the New Conglomerate Assault Rifle foley & reload SFX

That is where the third option will have you covered.

3. I discovered a tool called FSB Files extractor, or fsbext. You can download the tool from creator Luigi Auriemma here: http://aluigi.altervista.org/search.php?src=fsbext.
    The provided package unfortunately requires the lengthier process of running fsbext.exe, then opening the FSB file in question (Only one at a time) then choosing a destination to convert the file in question. But unlike another method I tried previously, it produced the WEP audio I tested with pitch perfectly intact, so it's at least dependable. However, I was advised by a music ripper over on FFShrine to do the following (Edited for personal reminders):

Quoted

1. In PowerShell, cd (or chdir) to where fsbext is located
    2. Enter these command to extract all the audio:
    Standard: gci <directory with FSBs> -rec -inc *.fsb | foreach {.\fsbext -d $_.fullname.replace($_.name, "") $_.fullname}
    Codec 0x01 (IMA ADPCM): gci <directory with FSBs> -rec -inc *.fsb | foreach {.\fsbext -d $_.fullname.replace($_.name, "") -A $_.fullname}
    The latter code if I remember correctly is the preferred one to use as it outputs in the aforementioned and more widely compatible Codec. It is important to note that this method, at least for me, doesn't enjoy having numbers or spaces in your file directory names, so place your FSBs somewhere where your directory doesn't contain any.

Hopefully this will be enough information & resources to accessing & extracting the audio of PlanetSide 2 for yourself. PlanetSide 2 is naturally free to play, and all you need are the game files, so I'm assuming correctly, you won't even need to sign up a Daybreak account.
Inconsistant Machinima-Maker,
Semi-Nocturnal Englishman, Zany Incarnate, Unverified Audiophiliac, just
generally a Bizargh Individual.

http://YouTube.com/Bizargh

This post has been edited 4 times, last edit by "Bizargh" (Jul 22nd 2016, 1:31am)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, May 18th 2016, 5:28am

Just updated the guide with some newly discovered information that should make the extraction process exponentially quicker. Hopefully this means after I'm done converting my sorted 2015 files then catch up with the Construction Update and sort that out (Just in case future updates removed anything, as the Credits music is oddly absent these days and a fair bit of dialogue has remained unused for a long time), I'll be able to provide all of the files here in WAV format.

But in case you naturally would rather not wait on this slowpoke, the guide should cover your needs (Assuming you have Windows Powershell like I never knew I had until asked).

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, July 5th 2016, 7:48pm

Just updated the guide with yet another method I happened to discover.

But for those who "ain't got time for that", the files are now up for download: http://forum.symthic.com/off-topic/other…-2-audio-files/