Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "DANGLES" started this thread

Date of registration
: Oct 22nd 2012

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 4

Monday, February 11th 2013, 11:13pm

MOH:W Class and Effectiveness Guide Part 1 (Sniper)

Class and Weapon Effectiveness Guide:

In my time with MOH:W I have noticed a significant number of players repeatedly struggling with a few classes, roles, and weapons- this guide was compiled to address these struggles, ideally with the intention of getting these players up to speed with everyone else and turning them into contributing teammates. The guide was more or less put together after hours of gameplay with a variety of different weapons and classes rather than a cursory glimpse at the weapon stat charts from this site.

Part 1 - Sniper:

"We need more snipers." -No One Ever

The sniper is quite possibly the most overpowered class of its type ever put in a first person shooter. Capable of killing every player in the game from range with one shot from the TAC-50, the sniper also has the best sidearm in the game in the G18, enabling him to out-ROF every single class in CQB. Covering your flanks is no problem, as he also has access to the PDM-86 anti-personnel mine, which can also be thrown fairly decent distances turning it into an offensive weapon as well. The sniper also has a ridiculous disposal of offensive scorestreaks at his disposal, as his earliest reward, the Switchblade UAV, is by far the best of the early scorestreaks and seems to have greater splash damage than even a Guided Missile. In summary, the sniper is at home whenever he is not at medium range, keeping all of your engagements to long or close range (with the G18 equipped) will bring you great success with this class.

The class at itís best: Outfitted for long range and precision- providing area-denial shots by killing hostiles in open, direct routes to the objective. Counter-sniping and generally making yourself the target of hostile snipers rather than your teammates. A good rule of thumb- if the enemy team is attempting to kill you rather than complete the objective, or rather, youíve changed the complexion of the game into an association among the enemy team that the only way to complete the objective is to kill you first, then you have done your job. Offensive scorestreaks should be used to pound away at the enemy when possible. This is the guy that usually has around 20+ kills, a few deaths and has called in an Apache near the end of the game so your team can easily move in and complete the objective. Outfitted for long to medium range and CQB- you should be providing support to an offensive action by taking out ranged targets other classes canít reach with their primary weapons while on the move, while also supporting your allies with the G18 at close range when necessary (ie. arming or disarming bombs). In this role if you arenít constantly engaging the enemy on the offensive and closing off long lines of sight where they could be moving through to access an objective, you arenít doing it right.

The class at itís worst: Immobile, sitting in hard to reach areas, occasionally taking a few shots at someone or something, not killing anyone, not spotting anyone, not engaging enemies moving towards the objective, not supporting your teammates just feet away- generally just taking up a player slot on the server. This is the guy who is seemingly oblivious to everything. The enemy team just armed the bomb? Ok, I will continue sitting here looking at butterflies through my scope hoping a unicorn appears for me to shoot. Everyone is getting worked over on the opposite side of the map by a sniper with a TAC50 creeping out of a window? I have no idea because Iím scoped in staring at an abandoned Afghan wagon tripping balls and I canít be bothered to interrupt myself. Sadly the vast majority of snipers are in this category, and even more problematic, when you take a look at virtually every team that ever gets completely dominated in an objective game mode the one thing they have in common is that they are nearly always comprised of 50 to 75% of snipers. If you canít shoot accurately with any of the gameís guns, use another class, and when in doubt on whether or not you should snipe just use another class for the sake of your team.

Class Ability: Supported Shooting. Contrary to the developerís intentions, you should not be using this ability, nearly ever- the low rate of fire of the sniperís primary weapons will turn you into a sitting duck every single time you employ his class ability. The fact that you automatically ID every hostile in your FOV is outweighed by the fact that you can simply tap the Ďspotí button every time you see someone you canít shoot when you are looking through your scope. Every time you are immobile in a large area you are vulnerable to counter-snipers in your peripheral areas- the solution to this is simply using it in bottlenecks where you have no peripheral area and your target has to pass through the region directly in front of you. As you can imagine, areas like this are few and far between, and unless you are using the LaRue OBR 7.62, you will only have one shot at killing your target, and unless you are also using the TAC-50, it has to be a headshot. Donít use this.

Grenade: PDM-86- Every single time you set up to shoot you should deploy one of these. The only exception to this rule is if you are in an area inaccessible to the enemy, or if you are playing a mobile sniping role where you are constantly relocating after kills, or if you are rushing an objective with the G18. In these other cases the PDM-86 should be used as an offensive weapon- thrown over walls onto enemies or through cover are the best scenarios in the case because you donít expose yourself to enemy fire. When using these for defense be aware that they should not be easily seen by an enemy hunting you down- donít just throw them in doorways, at the bottom of stairs or out in the open where they can easily be destroyed. Also of importance is the fact that they don't instantly arm themselves when you throw them- a few seconds must pass before the PDM deploys tripwires and arms itself, which should be kept in mind if you are attempting to use it as an offensive weapon.

Sidearm: G18- Spitting out 833 rounds per minute and featuring an extended magazine, the G18 is undoubtedly the best sidearm in the entire game and it automatically turns the sniper into a CQB maniac. When enemies hunt you down, switching to this sidearm will save your life. When you are rushing an objective or supporting a teammate, this weapon suddenly makes you a viable threat to your opponents. Make sure to close distance with your enemies with this equipped- at anything other than close range you will literally need to make every shot count (although it is entirely possible to kill injured targets at medium range). It is also entirely possible to kill 2-3 enemies at close range with one magazine from the G18 if you know exactly how many shots will down a single enemy and have practiced closing off your sprays after saturating a target with lead.

Primary Weapons:
LaRue OBR 7.62-
A single shot marksman rifle, the OBR 7.62 should be optimized for precision and range- donít bother with a suppressor as it will decrease your ability to do high amounts of damage to enemies and will get you killed. This weapon is at its best from medium to long range. Against other snipers using the more powerful bolt action options, you will need to get the first shot off while holding your breath and follow up for the kill immediately with two more shots on target or you will be overpowered. Against other classes at mid-range you will need to work the trigger and put as many rounds on them as possible to nullify the fully automatic weapons they will be using against you. Donít even attempt using this weapon in CQB unless you have a back-up close range optic and you can take the target by surprise. Just remember- your strength here is your ability to put multiple accurate rounds on your targets from range here, the more the better, and this weapon is at it's best when employed from long to medium range with a low-power dual-sight optic. The LaRue OBR 7.62 is also the only primary weapon that makes using the Sniper's Support Stance worth using, as you will not need to worry being vulnerable after you take your first shot.

CS5- The worst of the sniper rifles, the CS5 is a bolt action that does 50 damage per shot. Outfit it for range, get rid of any suppressors, and prepare to aim for the head every time- anything else other than a headshot will take two shots to kill- working the bolt takes a significant amount of time, so you will be useless at close to medium range and significantly overpowered by every other sniper rifle in the game at long range. The CS5 is accurate, so the potential to take out stationary targets with headshots exists, unfortunately the low damage output of this firearm isn't redeemed by it's accuracy. Essentially the CS5 turns you into a gigantic pain in the ass- you will damage everyone you see but not kill many- try to poach kills by firing at enemies otherwise engaged with your teammates. Or donít use this weapon ever- the less time you spend engaging the enemy and the more time you spend stationary in one area, far away from the fight or objective, the more you hurt your team.

TAC300- The best of the sniper rifles, the TAC300 is a bolt action that does about 90 damage per shot and is entirely capable of killing an enemy with one shot to the upper torso. Outfit it with all precision options and forget the silencer as it will nullify your ability to get those long range one shot kills to the upper chest area. Keep your distance with this weapon and give yourself enough time that you can get off a follow-up shot if you canít take down the hostile with the first one. This weapon is at itís best when the enemy has no idea you are even in the area- put yourself in unexpected areas where you can easily move back into cover after your shot. The TAC300 is accurate, powerful, and versatile- it should always be your first option as a sniper.

TAC50- The next best of the sniper rifles and the most overpowered weapon in the game, the TAC50 is a bolt action .50 caliber sniper rifle that does about 110 damage per round (along with a significant but easily controlled amount of scope sway). This weapon is capable of killing every enemy in the game with one shot- it is even possible to kill a fully-armored Demoman with one shot with the right placement (ie. the head). Outfit it for precision, donít suppress it as you will take away your ability to get those one shot kills to the arms and legs, and just donít miss. The TAC50 also has a ridiculous amount of scope sway that can easily be overcome simply by playing this game on the PC, or by continuously pressing the 'hold breath' button and re-centering the target reticle over and over again. Because the TAC50 is not as accurate as the other sniper rifles in the game you will literally need to make the one shot you do get off count every time. When using this weapon the sniper works the bolt a bit slower than he does the other bolt action weapons available, but this often is mitigated simply by killing what you see in one shot. You may need to relocate a bit when using this weapon as killing an enemy once in a specific area may cause them never to use that area of the map again, which oddly enough, makes this probably the single best weapon to use when sniping simply for its area-denial potential. People will hate you for using this weapon simply because of its one shot, one kill ability and the perceived lack of skill attributed to killing people with one shot to a leg or arm from far away- however, if you really wanted their respect you would be using the TAC300 anyhow and there is no other weapon in the game better suited to a sniperís work in objective game modes than the TAC50.

"The legs feed the wolf."

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "DANGLES" (Feb 25th 2013, 8:02pm)

Sao

(680)

Date of registration
: Jan 5th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Tuesday, April 23rd 2013, 10:57pm

Wrong on the LaRue. The weapon does 45-45-45 at all ranges, and equiping a suppressor has no downsides on the weapon (still a 3 hit kill, or 2 hit headshot)

Apart from that I agree. Snipers are brutal as hell!

My Video

I used to be an asker like you, then I took a search bar to the knee....

Cheapnub

Unregistered

Tuesday, April 23rd 2013, 11:05pm

N-n-n-necro!

Sao

(680)

Date of registration
: Jan 5th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Tuesday, April 23rd 2013, 11:09pm

Of only like 2 months. And I can necro all I bloody like (looks at title).

Plus GoT is taking fucking years to buffer on my laptop. Debating throwing it into a wall!

My Video

I used to be an asker like you, then I took a search bar to the knee....

Date of registration
: Nov 11th 2015

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 1

Wednesday, November 11th 2015, 5:08pm

Subjective your posts. And a subjective comment.

CS5 is the best sniper rifle with potential.

Did you use the CS5 long time? The CS5 damage is not 60. Symthic is wrong. Their stats are a beta basis. Now that the damage is 60.

‚φ Head shot one shot. ‚Ď°Quick reloading. ‚ĎĘHigher RPM. ‚Ď£The muzzle is not shaken.

What this means is that CS5 is better than TAC-300.

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,612)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Reputation modifier: 17

Wednesday, November 11th 2015, 5:22pm

@5GOKMANBI
Your post doesn't make sense, is on wrong topic and is only ranting with no evidence to support it. Not to mention you necro'd a post.
Do that again and you will be perm banned.

Thread closed.
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

yugas42

(1,387)

Date of registration
: Sep 1st 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Wednesday, November 11th 2015, 5:22pm

In the future please check the date of the last post in a thread before replying to it. We generally encourage posts on threads only if they have been responded to in the last three months unless the post is a meaningful continuation of the topic at hand. Locked for necromancy.
----------------------------------
11. Do not deliberately derail or Necro threads.
We appreciate that conversations drift from the Original Topic occasionally (often for the better), but deliberate derailment (particularly pyramiding) and Necromancy is prohibited. In general a thread over 2-3 months old is considered dead unless a discussion continues after the Necro, in which case it is OK. If in doubt, ask a member of staff!