Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "DerpishBanana" started this thread

Date of registration
: Oct 31st 2014

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 1

Tuesday, May 12th 2015, 1:22am

ARMA 3 worth it ?

Hello ,

i was looking at games to play and i saw arma 3 , heard alot of it (good and bad) and was wondering if it's worth buying it . I love bf4 but it appears you don't rly need alot of tactic for it , i mean you can easly dominate on your own . I would love to try a ''real life simulator'' of a war . Don't know if anybody plays or played it , ifso pleas give your opinion on this game

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,611)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Reputation modifier: 17

Tuesday, May 12th 2015, 10:38am

If you have never tried anything like Arma and only have played BFs etc then you could find it super boring. Long travel distances between action parts and even then it's mostly just camping in bushes and hideouts, shooting semi-auto shots at 600m and wondering if you killed the enemy or the drawing distance is just screwing with you (good ol' DayZ back in good days...).
But I can't speak for your personal preference, you might even like it. I am just saying it's very slow paced. Also I don't know what is the current state of the game as in does it have much players online.
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Date of registration
: Mar 25th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Tuesday, May 12th 2015, 11:17am

The game really shines in the coop missions with friends. If you also like all kinds of milsim-scenarios with all kinds of vehicles youll have a blast.

With large playernumbers vs large playernumbers (or team vs team) like 32vs32 like in BF4; dont expect too much.

Youll get horrid fps around cities, even on high end PC and on good servers. Nothing changed from arma 2 there. If you can live with that, it's all ok.

Is it worth it? Yes. But not at full price. Latest steam-sale price is where it's at. Arma3 will see alot of big upates in the coming year, with high probability on DX12.
RIP Sraw

This post has been edited 6 times, last edit by "Iwo_Jima" (May 12th 2015, 11:31am)

Date of registration
: Dec 14th 2014

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 8

Tuesday, May 12th 2015, 12:56pm

I havent played Arma, but Insurgency.

As Insurgency was not my cup of tea, I quickly jumped off the hype train of Arma too.

IMHO you should try out Insurgency and if you like this game a lot, then you can take one step further and buy Arma.
still playin' Motorstorm

Date of registration
: Feb 27th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Tuesday, May 12th 2015, 1:56pm

Le sigh. Only a slight bit of misinformation. Saying Insurgency is like ARMA is like saying Battlefield is like UT2k4

Firstly if you are looking for "good" large scale pvp ala bf3/4. You are not going to find it if you only do pubs. As with most things arma they are behind closed doors because well..... pubs are a bit trash.

Secondly Arma's variations of scenario's is massive. cqc armoured long range ambush mario cart rts. If it exists arma most likely has it.

As for fps. It isnt the best natively but many factors go into it. Two of the main ones for multiplayer are server stats

Spoiler Spoiler

iirc a good arma server cost around 2-400usd a month can get by on cheap rent a slot nonsense but perfomance isnt optimal
and how specific scenario is made.
As a mission maker myself I would argue that how a mission is made and the following of said rules laid out is arguably more important than server stats.

Unfortunately there is no real standard and any little bum can toss in a bunch of unneeded objects, not understand spawning, and optimal req addon usage.

To go back to gameplay....
This again depends on group playing with. again PUBBING is not something that should be done in Arma for optimal gameplay

I can only speak of the group I play with and we only play certain scenarios. Respawn? Nope* unless dead in first 5 mins/ bug related Revive? Nope
What does that mean?

Im in this video. Watch about the first 2 mins for briefing. Then skip to unexpected contact @ 3:50 then skip to the main part @ 7:06.

See those unconscious/dead bodies. That happened within the first 5 minutes. I misread the map and didnt consider the amount of noise a helicopter would make on flat terrain.
Got my medic instantly killed. It went downhill from there. Because there was no cover between the compound and us we suppressed and advanced onto the compound via smokes.

At that point the Muslim prayer time thingy began so loud as fk prayer music started at a mosque across the street started and intel told us atleast 20 insurgent were inside with undetermined amount of civilians. Breach first house. All but one of the main squad gets incapac. He hides calling out air missions. He cant communicate with other squad because he doesnt have a radio that can so Its relay.

in the end iirc we lost because out transport chopper went down and killed the few remaining. Pilot got hit by a stray pkm shot. Lost conciousness. Kaboom.

Each player life is valuable to us because of how we play. Depending on scenario length if you die you might as well go to bed. (90% of scenarios are failures. Its only through repeated attempts that success happens.) *though we try to change up the squad leaders so everyone can enjoy fking up and watching his men die around him*

Action and its time investment

2:26. Other squad = presumed dead. Contact in first 5 mins Main squad proceeding to main objective. most important part @ 4flat.

I forget my point. I am biased.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "MsMuchLove" (May 12th 2015, 2:42pm)

C0llis

Up and down. Bounce all around

(3,334)

Date of registration
: Apr 15th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Tuesday, May 12th 2015, 2:34pm

^+1

The only thing Arma has in common with Insurgency is that bullets are very deadly and both games have a suppression system. That's were most of the similarities end.

Arma combat is (generally) on a _much_ larger scale, usually with lots of players (and often bots) involved. Vehicles play a large role in Arma, both during combat, but more importantly as transportation and in a logistics role.

Combat in Arma can be varied infinitely, the only limit is the imagination of the players and the scenario creators. There's everything from infantry engagements at 800 meters across a valley, fighting through a small suburban village, cover too cover, combined arms through a city, flying CAS to help stop an enemy armored advance, infiltrating with a small infantry unit during night to sabotage an AA installment or everything between and outside of that. Why not join a roleplaying server and try to make your living catching fish, or (probably more entertaining) join the rebels and fight the local police? Why not do some cart racing?

Arma can best be described as a sandbox milsim (with the focus being on fun rather than absolute detail). That said, the game is best when you play it with some friends in voip, the game isn't that very fun on your own.

Things people said

And reading Youtube comments still gives me Turbo Cancer.

It really is quite frustrating when Helen Keller sets up her LMG in the only doorway in/out of an area.

What kind of question is that? Since when is cheese ever a bad idea?

Hardline is a fun and sometimes silly Cops and Robbers sorta thing and I think that's great. Or it would be if it didn't suck.

Date of registration
: Dec 14th 2014

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 8

Tuesday, May 12th 2015, 5:05pm

Sorry, I was certainly misleading. Especially as I cant play Arma3 and therefore I do not have enough details and cant speak from experience.

I still think, that my point is valid to some extent. If somebody doesnt like the slower paced gameplay from Insurgency, although the maps are way smaller and death is a thing to deal with, then this person might especially not having fun with far longer times to travel and not existent respawn.

And beyond that, ANY game is fun with friends. The game should at least be good in pub games though.

Just a thought.

But on the other hand, comparing both games can be similar to the comparison of CoD with BF. People's favors and interests cant really be predicted.
still playin' Motorstorm

Date of registration
: Feb 27th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Tuesday, May 12th 2015, 5:31pm

The game should at least be good in pub games though.

Unfortunately depending ofc on expectations it typically isnt. Pub games in arma tend to have people of different mind sets and depending on mission can lead to frustration.

i.e Invade and annex. Transport vehicles especially heli's are extremely valuable. Someone deciding to taxi with it to some ungodly place can lead to people having to drive to locations ( much longer time) thus decreasing action time.

perhaps if you are playing game modes such as insurgency/wasteland/Dynamic Zombie surivival (clones) then yea pub games are ok as you can simply kill anyone you meet but anything teamwork oriented can quickly become a hassle, especially the more hardcore it becomes.

Metal Links

They are watching you

(182)

Date of registration
: Jun 13th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Friday, May 15th 2015, 5:05pm

The game really shines in the coop missions with friends. If you also like all kinds of milsim-scenarios with all kinds of vehicles youll have a blast.
This, I havnt played online in a public match but have done many coops with friends.

If you do get ARMA, it will ruin other games for you. The ability to lean left/right, switch shooting arms, ballistics, flight mechanics and the sound engine are just to good and you will be disappointed when other games don't have them.

If BF added ARMA level ballistics, the ability to lean and BFBC2 level destruction back I would start playing again.
Quote of the Day:
"Action and reaction, ebb and flow, trial and error, change - this is the rhythm of living. Out of our over-confidence, fear; out of our fear, clearer vision, fresh hope. And out of hope, progress"

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Metal Links" (May 15th 2015, 5:11pm)