Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Watcher-45

He's watching...

(758)

• "Watcher-45" started this thread

Date of registration
: May 5th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Thursday, January 11th 2018, 4:33am

Doki Doki Literature Club

It's on Steam, it's free, it's a visual novel, get it and play it. It's not at all what it seems to be, it's cute and fun for about 2 hours then it's a sea of "WTF!"s and "OMG!"s.
This warning says it all: "This game is not suitable for children or those who are easily disturbed." It's categorized as a psychological horror.

It's actually really cleverly done.
It breaks the 4th wall very heavily in the later stages, and has this method of drawing you in to one expectation then going way off the grid. It also gets very meta at one point, and as the game progresses it literally breaks itself. Literally. When you get to the end the only way to replay it is to reinstall it. At the risk of spoiling it, I'll say no more than that.

It's well worth the price of $0. I ended up buying the fan pack for $10 just to support the dev, I like the way he thinks outside the box and am looking forward to anything he makes in the future.
All bike, all the time!

Spoiler Spoiler

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Watcher-45" (Jan 11th 2018, 6:31am)

Date of registration
: Jan 18th 2018

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 1

Sunday, January 21st 2018, 8:14am

A friend recommended this game to me. I've been playing it every now and then but the fact that I do way too much reading really bothers me.

Actually, what bothers me is that the dev didn't change the player's inner monologue and individual character text boxes into different colors. I know that it's free, but these really bugged me.

Date of registration
: Jun 23rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Sunday, February 25th 2018, 9:26pm

I finally got around to finishing it (at least until I got the credits) after starting it like three weeks ago. Got me laughing quite a bit and certainly sent me for a loop a little.

Really well executed in the latter half, but the beginning (first two hours) was quite basic and mundane. I wouldn't call it a slog, though, as the writing was okay and I even ended up liking at least two characters. The music got a little too repetitive.

Spoiler Spoiler

I went after Natsuki in the first "playthrough", which resulted in me eventually turning Sayori down and finding her strung up in her room. I kinda wonder what would have happened had I not turned her down, but fully disconnected from the player character and "confessed" to her instead. Would she have called a bluff? Would something else have happened?

What different options were there? I chose Natsuki because I found her to be the most interesting character, I just have a thing for the Tsundere archetype, but I imagine others may have gone for Yuri or Sayori after all. I could see this choice having a severe impact on how exactly the first playthrough concludes.

It's almost a bit sad that the "you gotta dig around the game files eventually" part was "spoiled" for me before I started, so I noticed some new text files and pictures every now and then. Also: Monika's and Natsuki's character files (.chr) can be opened as .PNG - the former is a weird fiery-electrical orange circle with a white noise square in the center and the latter almost looks like an oil painting. Not sure if and how you can open the other two.

On the one hand I found that it cleverly subverted the VN/Dating Sim genre and played a very nice meta-game, but at the same time that meta-aspect ended up heavily diminishing my investment in the characters, which is why I'm not going back for another round.

Curiously I now somehow crave a decent romantic VN/Dating Sim. Never played one before, don't have any clue which are any good and affordable.
Zormau - Battlelog / Battlefield 4

Memorable quotes not taken yet:

Of course, this ignores the non-constant cross-sectional first moment of area across the chest as well as non-constant material properties of the boob; it would be difficult to perform a more detailed analysis (as in, I'd have to have a shape function AND I'd need to derive a function for elastic modulus as a function of lateral breast coordinate) but whatever. It's 2am and I'm lazy.

I always believed science should be very hands on experience.

You should also answer this question I had posed in that thread: Would you be willing to pay your surgeon more if he was going to use a chainsaw for the opening incision of surgery? Clearly using a chainsaw isn't truly suited for surgery but that doesn't really matter. If he's "skilled" enough to be able to use the wrong tools of the trade, he should be rewarded for that skill right?

Date of registration
: Aug 28th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Monday, February 26th 2018, 9:43pm

Spoiler Spoiler

ATP

I'd love to join in these discussions
Praising highly.
I feared my actions' repercussions
Softly clicking.
It made me shiver, made me cry.
Blissfully astounded.
A thread, I saw, but feared the dye.
I had my mother take a look.
Beware, she cried.
Expect me once the dye has dried.
Why I don't use lasers:

Quoted

The Green Laser Sight you should almost always turn off as it gives away your vacation.

Quotes Corner

Double Ass-Ault Tank Lunch - YouTube

Most fun ever in this game mode.

BF4: Competitive Tank Launching

Rated on explosives used, launch, flight trajectory, style/tricks, and landing.

Shitgun: Whoops did I spell that wrong? Nah, I don't believe so.

Anyone got any ideas about what the UGL Rail on the L86 is for? (13/04 Patch notes.)

XM25 can't mount, can it? Looking forward to my Underslung Ammo box!

Is there any way for anyone that doesn't have mod powers to know what the IE on 360 thread is? I feel so left out...

Nope. Deleted so only mods can see the contents. It has some... interesting stuff there... *squints @Riesig <.< *

*Nick 30075's Application for Moderatorship follows:*

HURR DURR I IS GOOD MOD GIB IE ON 360

My application would be better.
"Totally not Tapatalk only. Pls gib pwor"

Watcher-45

He's watching...

(758)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, February 28th 2018, 6:52am

The music got a little too repetitive.

Spoiler Spoiler

I went after Natsuki in the first "playthrough", which resulted in me eventually turning Sayori down and finding her strung up in her room. I kinda wonder what would have happened had I not turned her down, but fully disconnected from the player character and "confessed" to her instead. Would she have called a bluff? Would something else have happened?

What different options were there? I chose Natsuki because I found her to be the most interesting character, I just have a thing for the Tsundere archetype, but I imagine others may have gone for Yuri or Sayori after all. I could see this choice having a severe impact on how exactly the first playthrough concludes.

It's almost a bit sad that the "you gotta dig around the game files eventually" part was "spoiled" for me before I started, so I noticed some new text files and pictures every now and then. Also: Monika's and Natsuki's character files (.chr) can be opened as .PNG - the former is a weird fiery-electrical orange circle with a white noise square in the center and the latter almost looks like an oil painting. Not sure if and how you can open the other two.

On the one hand I found that it cleverly subverted the VN/Dating Sim genre and played a very nice meta-game, but at the same time that meta-aspect ended up heavily diminishing my investment in the characters, which is why I'm not going back for another round.

I guess it depends on how fast you read, it wasn't too bad for me. I actually enjoy having the OST, plus it has some remixes which are pretty good.

Spoiler Spoiler

Truth be told, I have replayed it several times and did some of my own digging. Many things are scripted, all the major events are scripted, some minor things depend on your choices, and one major thing depends on your choices.
In Act 1 Sayori dies no matter if you friend-zone or accept her. Choices like who to spend time with or who to walk home with have no affect on this outcome.
In Act 2 (Sayori doesn't exist) Yuri kills herself regardless if you accept or reject her. Choices like who to spend time with have no effect on this outcome.
In ACT3 (No Monika, when Sayori becomes the "puppet master") whether or not Sayori goes crazy is dependent on who you spent time with throughout the whole game. In order to get the "good" ending you have to have done everything with all 3 girls in one play-through. It must be done by abusing a save.

How to:
Spend Act 1 with Sayori up until the point you go to her house to check on her, BUT DO NOT ACTUALLY WITNESS HER HANGING. Reload to earlier in Act 1 and instead spend all of Act 1 with Natsuki. Let the game progress. Spend Act 2 with Yuri. Let the game progress. If you did everything right, Sayori will not go crazy in Act 3 and fill Monika's role, instead she'll thank you for spending time with everyone, and accept her fate. Credits roll, and instead of Monika deleting all the photos as they scroll by they'll be intact and all in color. The thank-you letter at the end is different, instead of being from Monika it's from Dan Salvado (the developer).

It's too bad the whole files thing was spoiled for you. I can see how it could take away from the experience initially. In my case, I discovered it all after the scene alone with Monika, and monitored the files on my second play through. Many things change, not just the character files, there are text files that appear and disappear that say various things relating to the current act and situation you're in, and can offer a deeper impact to what's going on.
Truly the game is best experienced going in totally blind.

BTW, I also went for Natsuki on my first run. She's into Manga/Anime, it felt like the natural choice. Childhood friend was temping but she was just way too ditzy for me, lol!
All bike, all the time!

Spoiler Spoiler

Date of registration
: Jun 23rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Monday, March 5th 2018, 12:24pm

Hm okay.

Spoiler Spoiler

Maybe a bit disappointing that there's practically no contingency between your choices and the main storyline events and only really one way it can all go down.

Still, it was quite entertaining, and it also got me motivated to start another anime-binge-phase.
Zormau - Battlelog / Battlefield 4

Memorable quotes not taken yet:

Of course, this ignores the non-constant cross-sectional first moment of area across the chest as well as non-constant material properties of the boob; it would be difficult to perform a more detailed analysis (as in, I'd have to have a shape function AND I'd need to derive a function for elastic modulus as a function of lateral breast coordinate) but whatever. It's 2am and I'm lazy.

I always believed science should be very hands on experience.

You should also answer this question I had posed in that thread: Would you be willing to pay your surgeon more if he was going to use a chainsaw for the opening incision of surgery? Clearly using a chainsaw isn't truly suited for surgery but that doesn't really matter. If he's "skilled" enough to be able to use the wrong tools of the trade, he should be rewarded for that skill right?

Watcher-45

He's watching...

(758)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, March 6th 2018, 1:12am

Hm okay.

Spoiler Spoiler

Maybe a bit disappointing that there's practically no contingency between your choices and the main storyline events and only really one way it can all go down.

Still, it was quite entertaining, and it also got me motivated to start another anime-binge-phase.

Well, as a visual novel it's more an interactive story than anything else. As long as it's entertaining that's the bottom line.
All bike, all the time!

Spoiler Spoiler