Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "SomeRandomGuy" started this thread

Date of registration
: Oct 28th 2016

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Friday, June 2nd 2017, 2:07am

Overwatch

Why hasn't this game even gotten its own thread on here? It's on the tip of everyone's tongue!

I think it's about time a place to discuss Overwatch design, memes and community direction was established somewhere here. I'm potentially willing to try doing my own statistical analysis of the game's weapon balance, but I don't have the resources or tools to do so outside of in-game testing. I'm wondering if I could get some help with that.

Regardless, good luck Heroes! I wish you all the best with Season IV! And remember, HEROES NEVER DIE! (for a price)

ViperFTW

Suidae cathexis

(2,737)

Date of registration
: Jul 1st 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Friday, June 2nd 2017, 12:23pm

Good idea for a great game, although I dunno how appreciated the top-quality memes would be around here compared to other places :P

Balance in the game is good, very differently done compared to the Battlefield franchise (read: Overwatch actually HAS balance) which is interesting to see.

Don't play comp in it though, but that's mainly because I flat-out refuse to play 3 maps in it and there are consequences for you & your team should you leave a game, which I wouldn't want to put anyone through...

Everybody's Favourite Worthless Support and LMG Fan! :thumbsup:

Song currently stuck in my head is: Somewhere Beyond Seas by Varathron!

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,088)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Friday, June 2nd 2017, 1:23pm

Yeah well, I am sure DICE looked at this game and the whole genre of MOBAs and wanted their part of the pie, though somehow forgot that the franchise is not about 5vs5 fighting in confined arenas. Also achieving balance in a game that offers 64 players with various backgrounds on large maps with vehicles etc. thrown in is basically unachievable. Also mirroring or aquiring the same standard for competitive gaming between the two "genres" is a stupid thing to do and will never work.

That aside, I do not find the genre appealing at all, although it is the hot shit sure enough and many games are obviously really good and offer fun gameplay. Also Blizzard is very hot on the whole balance issue, so naturally one would expect a very thought out game from them. It is also easy to make money with them through cosmetic stuff, additional characters, maps and the likes, so the whole "games as a service"-paradigma really applies here. I can see the long-term investment from both the player and developer's POV.

So I do wonder what draws players into the MOBA and MOBA shooters, is it the balanced gameplay? The short and entertaining experience, or the long-term commitment?

Date of registration
: Dec 2nd 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Friday, June 2nd 2017, 1:57pm

Overwatch combines elements of MOBAs and FPSes to be what it is, a MOBAFPS. I honestly can't stand MOBAs, and Dirty Bomb handles the "Hero Team FPS" genre much better than Overwatch does while actually being much closer to a FPS at heart.

Date of registration
: Feb 25th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Friday, June 2nd 2017, 2:20pm

'ts good, but i can't see myself to pay it alone, so if anyone wants to add me

iota09#2890

it's pretty much the only blizzard game i'll ever have.
"I'm just a loot whore."

stuff mostly unrelated to BF4 that interests nobody

bf4
on 13/05/2016
23rd M320FB user on pc(13/05/16)
rush mode score RANK:2794 TOP:2% OUT OF:215398
obliteration mode scoreRANK:994 TOP:1% OUT OF:159466
handgun medals RANK:2236 TOP:2% OUT OF:143874
longest headshot RANK:9512 TOP:4% OUT OF:257589
recon score RANK:10871 TOP:4% OUT OF:274899
general score per minute RANK:10016 TOP:4% OUT OF:294774

bf3
31/3/2012 4:58:

Headshot distance RANK:493* TOP:0%
Revives per assault minute RANK: 6019 TOP: 3%
Headshots / kill percentage RANK:25947 TOP:13%
MVP ribbons RANK:18824 TOP:11%

*= 6 if we not count the EOD BOT headshots

@kataklism

ARGUMENT DESTROYED 100

ENEMY KILLED [REASON] JSLICE20 100

WRITING SPREE STOPPED 500

link to full-size old avatar:
http://i.imgur.com/4X0321O.gif

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(9,529)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Friday, June 2nd 2017, 2:25pm

Yeah well, I am sure DICE looked at this game

Not possible considering development cycles.

BF1 was likely in development from 2013-2015 so by then the design would have already been set in stone.

There's no possible way for Overwatch which had its first reveal in 2014 to significantly impact the design of BF1.

Other games sure but definitely not OW. And on the off-chance that OW did impact BF1, I'm not sure I see any traces of that at all.

though somehow forgot that the franchise is not about 5vs5 fighting in confined arenas.

What part of BF1 reflects this?

So I do wonder what draws players into the MOBA and MOBA shooters

Probably because it is a very accessible genre with interesting gameplay.

And probably because the designers are concerned primarily with good gameplay.

Overwatch combines elements of MOBAs and FPSes to be what it is, a MOBAFPS. I honestly can't stand MOBAs, and Dirty Bomb handles the "Hero Team FPS" genre much better than Overwatch does while actually being much closer to a FPS at heart.

How is OW not close to an FPS?

You play in First-Person view.

You Shoot things at players whether its ninja stars, arrows, or laser beams.

Not seeing how OW isn't FPSy.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

With this, I'll rid MGO3 of infestation. Sans bad gameplay MGO3 will be torn asunder. And then it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain.

Reddit and Konami will rewrite the records... And I will be demonized in human memory. But... The thirst for good gameplay that I have planted will infest MGO3. No one can stop it now. The Rebalance Mod will unleash that thirst unto the future.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,088)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, June 2nd 2017, 2:52pm

He never said it was not close to an FPS, he said another game is closer to an FPS at heart. Fallout is not an FPS either although it is First Person and you shoot at things. Genres are really overlapping.

Well they certainly took inspiration from the whole MOBA genre, otherwise the specialized niches of weapons and classes would not have come up, as well as Ammo 2.0. Also the relation between independence/relyability in between teams is another aspect derived from that genre in my book. That is my interpretation in any case. The whole focus on competitive gunplay in BF1 is also something that can only work in a competitive and small confined setting, like a 5vs5. They tried to bring that to a larger scale and of course it does not work out with 64 players. That was the point I was trying to make, but I do not want to talk further about BF1, in an OW thread.

I never been a competitive gamer, or at least I do not draw fun out of tournament/ladder-like gaming concepts. Winning is a by-product not tied to fun, in my experience and what I saw from the MOBA genre is indeed very competitive. I think for me the game is a little too blizzardish.

ViperFTW

Suidae cathexis

(2,737)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, June 2nd 2017, 3:37pm

> TFW you return to a thread you posted in and there's already arguments over what you said

I'm sorry...

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,088)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, June 2nd 2017, 6:42pm

@ViperFTW

Yeah sorry, you are right. So what dou you enjoy and others enjoy about Overwatch in particular? Balance and constant updates is what I liked about Guild Wars the most, so I can see the appeal there, also the variation between the different characters etc.. What about the story behind the game? Is there anything? I just saw some snippets and know that it derived from the failed Titan project.

ViperFTW

Suidae cathexis

(2,737)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, June 2nd 2017, 6:59pm

Well I will admit I checked it out purely because of the memes initially :D
I love a lot of things! The variety of classes and characters is something I liked in TF2 and feel there's a greater sense in Overwatch. You're right about one thing though; it's easier to balance Overwatch purely cos of it's team-size and content, and I think Blizzard (having never played anything by them before) do a pretty solid job.

The story is something I never expected to get but is probably one of my favourite things about the whole damn game! It's deep, intriguing, well-constructed, and covers quite a lot of different themes which I love. Plus they're doing a damn good job of telling it too; giving players little snippets here and there which are all seemingly obviously connected by invisible strands to something significantly larger and, potentially, darker, plus they drip feed it so that players who aren't interested can flat-out ignore it and players who are interested aren't just given a mountain of exposition in one big gulp so that they lose interest. Great pacing that I honestly don't think I've ever seen in a game before :)

Oh, and speaking of memes, I fucking love the memes!!! The "Fanon" is fucking hilarious too; Soldier 76 being someone's grumpy Dad, DVA being a 2-foot-tall l33t-gamer gremlin who subsists purely on Doritos and Mountain Dew. Shit's fucking hilarious and shockingly the developers are happily embracing it, which just makes it even more funny! Orisa is my current favourite fanon-wise; turning a modified security bot given sentience and a conscience by a young scientist into a quadrupedal hug-dispenser powered by the most potent power-source known to mankind - Pure, concentrated sarcasm :D