Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Zormau" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jun 23rd 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Monday, October 31st 2016, 11:03am

Titanfall 2

So I decided to give it a shot last night, what with EA's 24-hour refund policy and all.

Only played the multiplayer for a few hours so far and found it to be fairly amazing. I'd say the changes from the first game, aside from some new weapons and a "boost" for the pilot akin to the titans' cores instead of the burn cards, are rather small. In total, however, they make the game highly enjoyable. Now I only hope it has more longevity. Base MP content is there, although I feel that some Titans and maybe also a few weapons are deliberately held back (SP only so far), but since they committed to there not being any paid DLC I'm confident that it'll be fine.

Only problem I had were some balancing issues. Some of the pilot boosts (autoturret, map hack) seem quite a bit more useful and powerful than others and the two last titans you unlock seem to pretty much mop the floor with the three you start out with. I suspect, however, that they might be fine if you play them properly, but if so they certainly aren't as "easy to play" as the game claims and the penultimate certainly isn't as "hard to play" as the game claims. Even if there is a balancing problem here, nothing that a small patch couldn't fix, and unlocking one of the two "good" titans is very quick if you really want them.

TF2 has a dual progression system, but does it way better than BF1. You unlock pilot equipment and titans by leveling up your player. You can unlock any weapon or titan you choose early with ingame currency awarded for playing. Progression speed is similar to MW+ era CoD with the added bonus of the unlock currency. Currency gain is quite slow, though. Took me about 3 hours to get enough to unlock one gun early. (there are 4 assault rifles, 4 smgs, 3 lmgs, 3 sniper rifles, 2 shotguns, 4 launchers, 4 pistols, 4 anti-titan weapons).

TTK is pretty fast, hipfire is king ( :love: ), weapons seem okay balance-wise, although I haven't tried them all yet. Oh yeah, and infinite ammo and recharging gadgets.
Zormau - Battlelog / Battlefield 4

Memorable quotes not taken yet:

Of course, this ignores the non-constant cross-sectional first moment of area across the chest as well as non-constant material properties of the boob; it would be difficult to perform a more detailed analysis (as in, I'd have to have a shape function AND I'd need to derive a function for elastic modulus as a function of lateral breast coordinate) but whatever. It's 2am and I'm lazy.

I always believed science should be very hands on experience.

You should also answer this question I had posed in that thread: Would you be willing to pay your surgeon more if he was going to use a chainsaw for the opening incision of surgery? Clearly using a chainsaw isn't truly suited for surgery but that doesn't really matter. If he's "skilled" enough to be able to use the wrong tools of the trade, he should be rewarded for that skill right?

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,634)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Reputation modifier: 17

Monday, October 31st 2016, 12:49pm

I am going to give TF2 a shot at some point too. I haven't followed it much, but from what Zormau says it seems indeed basically improved version of Titanfall. Especially lack of burning cards sounds very bueno.

Also before somebody asks: Doubt we will have TF2 stats around, at least not anytime soon.
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Date of registration
: Sep 20th 2016

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Monday, October 31st 2016, 1:33pm

Quietly hyped for this. Actually enjoyed TF, thought it was under-rated. If this has more longevity I'll be getting it when the price drops a bit.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, October 31st 2016, 9:51pm

Jesus I'm having a helluva lot of fun with TiFa2. Not only is the MP great, the SP campaign is very fun as well. Visually amazing levels that work really well with the mechanics, moderately diverse combat encounters for the first few hours, but right now I'm at a level that's simply blowing my mind. I'll say as much as it involves time travel and is the greatest FPS single player level I've played since Half Life 2.

Of course, this ignores the non-constant cross-sectional first moment of area across the chest as well as non-constant material properties of the boob; it would be difficult to perform a more detailed analysis (as in, I'd have to have a shape function AND I'd need to derive a function for elastic modulus as a function of lateral breast coordinate) but whatever. It's 2am and I'm lazy.

You should also answer this question I had posed in that thread: Would you be willing to pay your surgeon more if he was going to use a chainsaw for the opening incision of surgery? Clearly using a chainsaw isn't truly suited for surgery but that doesn't really matter. If he's "skilled" enough to be able to use the wrong tools of the trade, he should be rewarded for that skill right?

Date of registration
: Sep 7th 2016

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Tuesday, November 1st 2016, 7:20am

I'll say as much as it involves time travel and is the greatest FPS single player level I've played since Half Life 2.

... Time travel? O_o

Mofixil

Sometimes I just get blinded by hate. And tears.

(377)

Date of registration
: Jul 27th 2013

Reputation modifier: 9

Tuesday, November 1st 2016, 9:32am

... Time travel? O_o

There surely is there blink-thingy that's supposed to allow you to move through space in no time or something but my experience with the game is close to none. I'd have bought it right away if not for the insane initial price tag, even considering that all additional content down the road is supposed to be completely free.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, November 1st 2016, 12:37pm

@ChineseToTheBone

Yeah, it's kinda like Mofixil said. You can freely and instantly blink between two "presents". One "about now" and one "substantially later". Fun thing is that you can see the consequences of your actions in the "now" when you switch into the "future" and it is also used for some really great leveldesign (mechanically and visually).

It's not a new concept, switching between two versions of the same level (e.g. Soul Reaver did something like that and it's rather common in platformers, Seasons after Fall recently did it), but it's very well executed and certainly something I haven't seen in an FPS game lately.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, November 1st 2016, 9:58pm

Wow. That sounds pretty neat.

I will have to watch a gameplay video of those levels.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, November 1st 2016, 11:06pm

I'm also kinda digging the unlock system. I mean it wouldn't *have* to be there and it's not quite as convenient as CoD Black Ops (1) was (earn tons of ingame currency to unlock whatever you want pretty quickly), but it goes at a veeeery steady pace and allows you to use some shortcuts.

You get one "merit" for performance in different areas in a round, each yielding one point:
- staying until the round ends
- winning the round
- killing a lot of players/titans
- weapon level increases (usually about 1 level per round)
- secondary weapon level increases (if you damage titans a lot with your AT weapon about 1 level/round)
- titan level ups (similar rate here)
- represented faction level up (you choose a "faction" in a menu, giving you a "rep grind" progression that unlocks calling cards and emblems, levels take a lot longer)

Not quite a direct "kills to exp" system, it's "kills, assists, captures and scoring to titan/boost/core progress, overall performance to exp". I like that.

You'll usually earn between 5 and 7 merits per round if you're doing ok for yourself and need 10 (I think?) per player level up. Each merit also grants 1 credit, 100 credits allow you to unlock a weapon of your choosing, titans only cost 15-20 credits while new boosts and new player skills can cost upwards of 200). You also get 20 credits as a starting gift, allowing you to for example unlock one titan loadout from the start. Highly recommended as Legion and Tone seem to be god-tier compared to the rest so far. Right now I'm around level 30 of some 50-ish and have unlocked all primaries save two and all secondaries save two. Some abilities, the satchel charges (ye olde C4) and some boosts (the smart pistol, for example) are missing from my collection, but I'm certainly not gimped by that.

P.S.
If I'm kinda gushing over this game it's because I'm freaking in love with it.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, November 2nd 2016, 11:00pm

Whoa. This time travel mechanic really is pretty wonky.

I'm guessing the destroyed version is the present?