Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

ViperFTW

Suidae cathexis

(2,737)

Date of registration
: Jul 1st 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Monday, September 28th 2015, 7:34pm

I never go that high. 1600DPI is enough for me.

My mouse is usually set to 1800 DPI but I more-than-often hammer that down in-game. I like having a twitchy mouse pointer when I'm just generally internetting but a twitchy crosshair is unusable for me for...Reasons...

Everybody's Favourite Worthless Support and LMG Fan! :thumbsup:

Song currently stuck in my head is: Red Cold River by Breaking Benjamin!

Date of registration
: Apr 12th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Monday, September 28th 2015, 7:48pm

Is DPI/sensitivity linear?

from the quick google check I just did, yes. DPI is the mouse sensor's accuracy, sensitivity is just a flat multiplier of the speed.

This has been my impression as well.

A mouse at 100 DPI with 10X the sensitivity will move at the same speed as a 1000DPI mouse, but it's gonna be more twitchy and temperamental with its precision than the 1000DPI mouse.

Because 100 DPI will just be too low of a resolution or why?

Provided that the DPI is "adequate" with respect to the precision of you hand , which it always should be even at the lowest setting, there should be no differences in precision when the relationship is linear: 1 * 800 DPI = 0.5 * 1600 DPI = 0.25 * 3200 DPI. (I.e., sensitivities of 1, 0.5, and 0.25 should give the same in-game performance for these DPIs.)
"Less is more? How can that be? How could less be more, that's impossible. More is more." Yngwie Malmsten
"Many bullets help." WoopsyYaya
"most rhetorically legitimate ad hominem 2015" ToTheSun!

CobaltRose

I'll be there... around every corner... in every empty room...

(1,219)

Date of registration
: Nov 8th 2013

Battlelog:

Monday, September 28th 2015, 7:57pm

from the quick google check I just did, yes. DPI is the mouse sensor's accuracy, sensitivity is just a flat multiplier of the speed.

A mouse at 100 DPI with 10X the sensitivity will move at the same speed as a 1000DPI mouse, but it's gonna be more twitchy and temperamental with its precision than the 1000DPI mouse.
idk I just damn-near word-for-worded something I saw from another forum post. I liked the example. :P I guess it's a case of raw DPI being better at filling in gaps than messing with the sensitivity multipliers is.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Memorable Quotes

I once tried to burn a bridge, but due to the half-assed levolution implementation it kept standing up just fine.

Compared to the MTAR, the PDR has the TTK of your average pack of cigarettes.

The World Champion, on the Tactical Light:
"Oh don't mind me, I'm just out of ammo and I'll just POCKET SUN!!!!"

What can't be changed can be banned.

I'm completely serious. Well, seriously insane actually :P

If only more people left the wheel chair, adjustable hospital bed, and crutches behind and played HC. (aka Regen, Minimap, Killcam)

Natalia Poklonskaya:
Putin the cute in prosecute since 2014.

I can't look at my own avatar without having to pee. GG Me. GG.

I swear to god if you reply with a picture of the AEK I'll mail you a buttplug shaped like one.

The one time when "it's only three inches" is a good thing.

How do you guys control your FAMAS burst length since it fires its mag in just 1,5 seconds))
I consider each magazine a burst. :/

This is Symthic, we don't do "feels" around here ;)

Krolman

Cannot into Rankine

(501)

Date of registration
: Dec 19th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 8

Monday, September 28th 2015, 8:22pm

idk I just damn-near word-for-worded something I saw from another forum post. I liked the example. :P I guess it's a case of raw DPI being better at filling in gaps than messing with the sensitivity multipliers is.

I think you are talking about pixel skipping , It is better to a lower sensitivity in game because of that but for the mouse a high or lower dpi accuracy is dependent on the sensor for example a mouse may be more accurate at 1800 dpi then 400dpi but another may be the opposite so yeah,
Apparently we do have a facebook... You should go ahead and like it

Oh look and a twitter... Yeah follow us there too pls

If only people would talk back it wouldn't be so lonely.[In B4 I get overwhelmed]

"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish." - Euripides, Bacchae

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."- Harlan Ellison

Things that I support

Hardline is a fun and sometimes silly Cops and Robbers sorta thing and I think that's great. Or it would be if it didn't suck.

intel best ethernet controllers

ammo regen pls

TL;DR: all vehicles in BF4 are screwed up in some way or another.

I know I shouldn't be surprised that something like that even exists but.... 8|

You're just a spreadsheet baddie.

Date of registration
: Jun 23rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Monday, September 28th 2015, 8:26pm

The logic I see would be that the PC interprets mouse input on a dot-by-dot basis, and a mouse that registers 8200 dots per inch sends eighty-two times as many "yo, the mouse was moved one dot" signals to the PC than a 100 DPI mouse (depending on speed and polling rate it will of course send multiple dots in one packet). If a PC uses the same dots-to-movement rate for both it stands to reason that the cursor will move 82 times as fast on the mouse, which means that the multiplier should be reduced (i.e. less cursormovement per dot, several dots required for one pixel potentially I think).

@Krolman

Yeah, I think pixel skipping is the problem that a high DPI circumvents, as there is a steadier and more fluid/accurate flow of information and positional updates sent from the mouse.

It's probably a bit like overclocking a CPU: altering the base frequency is more difficult and demanding for the hardware, but achieves a smoother result than simply tweaking the (potentially) free multiplier.
Zormau - Battlelog / Battlefield 4

Memorable quotes not taken yet:

Of course, this ignores the non-constant cross-sectional first moment of area across the chest as well as non-constant material properties of the boob; it would be difficult to perform a more detailed analysis (as in, I'd have to have a shape function AND I'd need to derive a function for elastic modulus as a function of lateral breast coordinate) but whatever. It's 2am and I'm lazy.

I always believed science should be very hands on experience.

You should also answer this question I had posed in that thread: Would you be willing to pay your surgeon more if he was going to use a chainsaw for the opening incision of surgery? Clearly using a chainsaw isn't truly suited for surgery but that doesn't really matter. If he's "skilled" enough to be able to use the wrong tools of the trade, he should be rewarded for that skill right?

R

tits pls

(2,621)

Date of registration
: Sep 16th 2012

Battlelog:

Monday, September 28th 2015, 8:31pm

I would say, get any mouse that fits your requirement with an ADNS 3090 or 3310 sensor. Its all about dat sensor.

Watcher-45

He's watching...

(758)

Date of registration
: May 5th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Monday, September 28th 2015, 11:52pm

I didn't bother reading the whole thread but my suggestion is a Roccat Kone.

I have the Kone +. It has a 6000 DPI max, 2 default side buttons, 4 way scroll, a full software suite with macros that's very intuitive to use and works wonderfully, 5 different interchangeable profiles, and they are sub-$100. The biggest advantage is the "easy shift" capability, which acts like a modifier key. You can essentially double the key count on the mouse this way, as when you hold down the "easy shift" button you can reprogram any key. Perfect example, my left click is shoot, but when I hold the closer thumb button down my left click is now melee.

I have quite a few functions on the mouse that you ordinarily wouldn't be able to do thanks to both the "easy shift" and the 4 way scroll. They even went so far as to not dedicate the DPI +/- buttons so you can even program those to do whatever.

In BF4 my mouse does:
Shoot, aim, toggle crouch, jump, toggle flashlight/laser, toggle firing mode, hold breath, throw grenade, melee, full map, map zoom, and has macros for enabling/disabling the HUD.

In other games it often has controls such as toggle walk, toss weapon, toss money, block/parry, alternate melees, or auto-buy macros.

If you happen top have a Roccat keyboard, you can even pair the "easy-shift" function with the keyboard controls.

It's insanely useful, and after using a Roccat mouse I won't use any other.
All bike, all the time!

Spoiler Spoiler

Date of registration
: Jun 23rd 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Monday, September 28th 2015, 11:59pm

I currently use a Logitech G402. It has some ridiculously high DPI (8200 I think), 2 normal thumb buttons, and a third thumb button for changing the DPI on the fly (all of the functions are remappable using the Logitech software). It also has 2 buttons to the side of the left mouse button. However, its scroll wheel is only 2 directions. It is a light mouse and I got it for only $30 on Amazon during a sale (normal price is $40).

ToTheSun!

Be Creative.

(5,050)

Date of registration
: Mar 9th 2012

Reputation modifier: 19

Tuesday, September 29th 2015, 12:19am

It's 2015, and people still use 400 DPI because MLG.

Higher DPI = better, assuming accuracy of the sensor doesn't change.

ViperFTW

Suidae cathexis

(2,737)

Date of registration
: Jul 1st 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Tuesday, September 29th 2015, 12:45am

It's 2015, and people still use 400 DPI because MLG.

Higher DPI = better, assuming accuracy of the sensor doesn't change.

Well, there are other reasons :P

Everybody's Favourite Worthless Support and LMG Fan! :thumbsup:

Song currently stuck in my head is: Red Cold River by Breaking Benjamin!