Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "KriegZik" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jun 6th 2015

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 1

Wednesday, June 17th 2015, 9:45pm

Need some help choosing a PC

Hello everyone, so I'm looking into buying a new PC and I found this for 700 € (790 $), the thing is I have no idea if it's good and what this shit means :-P

Processor 1 Intel® 6 Core Xeon 5660 2.8GHz (with the possibility to add a second processor)

System disk Seagate Barracuda 500 Gb 7200 new

RAM Memory 16 GB DDR3 PC3 10600 Rdimm Samsung with error correction

Nvidia FX3800 1GB Graphics 1 DVI + 2 Display Port (VGA et HDMI with ad hoc cable)

Extra space : 3 racks for 3,5" Hardrives + 2 for 5.25

DVD CDROM +/-RW ; 9 USB ; Ethernet ;
1110 Watts Supply
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit installed and updated

Includes a keyboard, a mouse, supply cable and a box for the PC with two keys

So : is it worth it ?

Thanks already :-)
"Si tu arrive à comprendre ce qu'y est écrit sans utiliser d'outils de traduction, tu a mon respect"

The McGoat

The McMoose Murderer

(563)

Date of registration
: Apr 26th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Wednesday, June 17th 2015, 9:50pm

Is that an old server? Xeon processors and ECC memory are server grade components.

Unfortunately, pretty much everything there is obsolete for gaming. I can put something together for you if you give me a budget.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, June 17th 2015, 10:00pm

What's obselete about it ? :-/
"Si tu arrive à comprendre ce qu'y est écrit sans utiliser d'outils de traduction, tu a mon respect"

Mofixil

Sometimes I just get blinded by hate. And tears.

(374)

Date of registration
: Jul 27th 2013

Reputation modifier: 8

Wednesday, June 17th 2015, 10:03pm

You don't need ECC for gaming, not at all. There's no sensitive data processed that needs to be valid at all times, and even if, there's hundreds of other samples coming, so a small error is mostly unnoticeable.

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(5,876)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Reputation modifier: 16

Wednesday, June 17th 2015, 10:07pm

You don't need ECC for gaming, not at all. There's no sensitive data processed that needs to be valid at all times, and even if, there's hundreds of other samples coming, so a small error is mostly unnoticeable.

This pretty much. However if you have it there for free already there's no pointing in changing to anything else. Same for the processor as it seems to have 6 cores, which is more than enough for any consumer use. Also xeon's larger caches and faster interconnects compensate for lower frequency.
Just get a better GPU for that and you should be good to go. Sounds pretty damn good deal to me if that all is just 700€.
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, June 17th 2015, 10:21pm

Danke for the answers :-)
But what about the graphic card, is it good ? (Btw is a gpu and a graphic card the same thing ? I'm really un-expierenced) and how much would a good GPU cost ?

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(5,876)

Date of registration

Wednesday, June 17th 2015, 10:26pm

Danke for the answers :-)
But what about the graphic card, is it good ? (Btw is a gpu and a graphic card the same thing ? I'm really un-expierenced) and how much would a good GPU cost ?

To be nitpicky and accurate GPU is the chip on the video/graphics card, and "graphics card" is the whole thing. The one on that is very basic and old one which won't be running modern AAA games but NVidia GTX 960 / AMD R9 270x would be a budget start and is around... 200-ish euros? Don't know your prices. If you can afford it you could get GTX 970 or AMD 280x (or even 290x) for ~400€ and it would run any modern and upcoming games with no problems.
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, June 17th 2015, 10:36pm

Okay, merci :-)
So to sum it up : if I change the GPU to a better one, then it's a good PC and the offer is worth it ?

Date of registration
: Apr 6th 2012

Battlelog:

Wednesday, June 17th 2015, 10:38pm

No.
[Aristocrat's Shoes]
TLDR -
Teamwork is where players function by themselves, but their effectiveness is multiplied when they work together. Not a checklist of "did we bring a healer so we can start playing?"

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(5,876)

Date of registration

Wednesday, June 17th 2015, 10:40pm

No.
I dunno, with that CPU (even being a server cpu it's pretty good) and that amount of memory for 700€...