Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Slanderous Jackal" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 31st 2013

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Sunday, January 4th 2015, 12:21am

Joining the army-Advise needed.

Joining the Army Reserve- I graduated last June from highschool with my goal set to become an army helicopter pilot (Preferably a Chinook). This is a long term goal. I looked for any job (MOS) I could find relating to helicopters or aviation in general to position myself with a good start toward my eventual goal.

After waiting for a good week, an MOS finally came up that I wanted- 15U, CH-47 (Chinook) repairer. I reserved the job and I ship out to basic training January 12th. From there I go to Fort Jackson, SC for around 2 months of basic, then to Fort Eustes for 4 months of AIT (Advanced Individual Training) for helicopter mechanics. All in all I'll be away for 6 months until I am sent back to Washington state to my unit.

I am both excited an nervous. The purpose if this thread is to ask anyone with any experience in the military to give me advice. I know the basics of what I will go through, however I am a little weary about the helicopter mechanic training. I have zero mechanical skills. I have no experience with helicopters or even cars. I would love to hear anyones experience in the military or with any related advice pertaining to my MOS or BCT. Yes, I know this will be nothing like Battlefield so save it.

I appreciate all replies! Thanks for being the awesome community you are!

DeathOfTheDodo

Veni, SMAW, Vici

(863)

Date of registration
: Jun 30th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Sunday, January 4th 2015, 12:33am

Trust what you think is right over what your superiors tell you what to think is right. Question authority, if not out loud then to yourself.

More life advice as I haven't been in the military, but I did a psych project on the conditioning that is done in training.

EDIT:

Also don't bring Charms into a Humvee.
[SYM]Deathofthedodo
BE ADVISED BE ADVISED BE ADVISED BE ADVISED BE ADVISED BE ADVISED BE ADVISED

"AK Attachment Guide"

No.

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,661)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Platform: PC

Reputation modifier: 17

Sunday, January 4th 2015, 12:33am

@3VerstsNorth
@Lars3

Jakakaas inttikokemuksia gogogo. Finnish conscription != 'merican army stuff ofc, but can be equally schiesse nevertheless.
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Date of registration
: Apr 12th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Sunday, January 4th 2015, 12:51am

I hadn't thought about saying this about anyone, but ignore Dodo here. Sorry Dodo!

In the military, do what you are told to do. Period. Which does not mean that you don't need to be smart. Be smart and do as well as you can, with the intended purpose in mind, what you are told to do and don't question authority, and you'll do just fine. The functioning of military is built on authority, if everyone would go on thinking what is right and what not, it would be a hell.
"Less is more? How can that be? How could less be more, that's impossible. More is more." Yngwie Malmsten
"Many bullets help." WoopsyYaya
"most rhetorically legitimate ad hominem 2015" ToTheSun!

DeathOfTheDodo

Veni, SMAW, Vici

(863)

Date of registration
: Jun 30th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Sunday, January 4th 2015, 12:57am

I hadn't thought about saying this about anyone, but ignore Dodo here. Sorry Dodo!

In the military, do what you are told to do. Period. Which does not mean that you don't need to be smart. Be smart and do as well as you can, with the intended purpose in mind, what you are told to do and don't question authority, and you'll do just fine. The functioning of military is built on authority, if everyone would go on thinking what is right and what not, it would be a hell.
I didn't say to specifically act against authority, but to actually think about what authority is telling you.

And what I said about Charms still stands.
[SYM]Deathofthedodo
BE ADVISED BE ADVISED BE ADVISED BE ADVISED BE ADVISED BE ADVISED BE ADVISED

"AK Attachment Guide"

No.

Date of registration
: Apr 12th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Sunday, January 4th 2015, 1:00am

I didn't say to specifically act against authority, but to actually think about what authority is telling you.

And what I said about Charms still stands.

Kk, yeah, think all you want but keep it there. And those charms, nailed it :D .
"Less is more? How can that be? How could less be more, that's impossible. More is more." Yngwie Malmsten
"Many bullets help." WoopsyYaya
"most rhetorically legitimate ad hominem 2015" ToTheSun!

TheMightyVoice

The Pantless Messiah Returns

(1,830)

Date of registration
: May 22nd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Sunday, January 4th 2015, 1:19am

Always treat everyone around you right. You will be stuck with them for months at a time.
Eat your heart out, Badger.

Spoiler Spoiler

<elementofprgress> yummm baby jesus
<elementofprgress> but i'd prefer jesus with ketchup

<cloon> women are allowed to play hockey?
<daddygreeenjeans> body checks are a fundamental part of women's suffrage

<Riesig> "... I'M GAY..."

steamboat28: the doctors at the ER found my nipples, too!
steamboat28: it just..y'know...took them a razor and two orderlies.

<Legion> And damn, now I really want some [redacted] penetrator measurements

<Rezal> peipin, why did you tell them you brought your phone?
<Pepin_the_Short> Because there’s like a one in five chance of getting searched on the way out
<Pepin_the_Short> And trying to sneak the fucker out is way worse than letting them look at Cloon’s dick pics.

17:52:08 <Rezal> Unfortunately, this video is not available in your country because it could contain music, for which we could not agree on conditions of use with GEMA.
17:52:15 <ToTheSun> lolgema
17:52:15 <TheMightyVoice> lolgema

<Legion> But I literally am Hitler right now
Somehow my bullets are magnetically attracted to popular Youtubers, but theirs rarely seem to hit me.

Krolman

Cannot into Rankine

(501)

Date of registration
: Dec 19th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 8

Sunday, January 4th 2015, 3:17am

yeah what

@3VerstsNorth

said you are the army's bitch , you will do as you are told, have your commanding officers opinions(unless against geniva), and if you want a certain position brown nose correctly by being smart but not too smart at the correct times basically someone smart but willing the learn from someone even though they are intelligently inferior. (well I personally never recommend a military route but do what you want)... unless things have changed since the 1970's(looking at the education system I dought it) and are different in the USA.
Apparently we do have a facebook... You should go ahead and like it

Oh look and a twitter... Yeah follow us there too pls

If only people would talk back it wouldn't be so lonely.[In B4 I get overwhelmed]

"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish." - Euripides, Bacchae

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."- Harlan Ellison

Things that I support

Hardline is a fun and sometimes silly Cops and Robbers sorta thing and I think that's great. Or it would be if it didn't suck.

intel best ethernet controllers

ammo regen pls

TL;DR: all vehicles in BF4 are screwed up in some way or another.

I know I shouldn't be surprised that something like that even exists but.... 8|

You're just a spreadsheet baddie.

Date of registration
: Oct 2nd 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Sunday, January 4th 2015, 10:32am

My service was a bit different thqn yours so...
Well do what you are told, don't bitch about anything because it will bite you in the ass, eat and drink whenever possible and don't return from leave wasted or high.
Also if this is your goal you want and are willing to work hard to get there so no problem there.
I wanted to be a sniper so I worked hard during basic training and ended up as a sniper squad leader. It pays off. Also have fun :)
Lime Neeson is a shämän

Date of registration
: Sep 3rd 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Sunday, January 4th 2015, 12:44pm

Do what you are told without bitching so your officers know they can depend on you. However, do bitch, moan and complain to your fellow privates so they know you're human and that they can depend on you.

Show initiative, but don't volunteer for stupid shit just because you want to prove yourself.

Always make sure your gear is in the best condition, and that you are wearing the right amount of clothing.

If you get a pebble in your boot, take it out immediately instead of pridefully marching along and getting blisters.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Jais" (Jan 4th 2015, 12:54pm)