Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Talent" started this thread

Date of registration
: Feb 4th 2012

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Tuesday, March 25th 2014, 8:55am

Laptop Advice

Hello All,

I need help deciding what laptop to buy. I'm looking for something I can play games on, watch movies, open a lot of tabs for my research, speed speed and more speed, and do homework. Now I'm on a college budget, so I'm looking for something $800 or less. I've picked some laptops out that I believe has what I need, but I'm not that tech-savy and need your assistance. Here they are, and don't be too shy to send me some recommendations:

Dell XPS 14 in: $737

Max Screen Resolution 1600x900 pixels
Processor 2.4 GHz Core i7 3537U
RAM 8 GB DDR3
Hard Drive 500 GB SATA
Wireless Type 802.11A

HP Envy 4-1130us Ultrabook: $649

Screen Resolution 1366_x_768
Max Screen Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels
Processor 2.6 GHz Core i5-3317U
RAM 6 GB DDR3
Hard Drive 500 GB HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
Graphics Coprocessor Intel HD graphics 4000
Graphics Card Ram Size 1664 MB
Wireless Type 802.11bgn

HP Pavilion 14-b110us 14-Inch Sleekbook: $419

Screen Resolution 1366 x 768
Max Screen Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels
Processor 2.4 GHz A-Series Dual-Core A4-4355M
RAM 4 GB DDR3
Hard Drive 500 GB SATA
Graphics Coprocessor AMD Radeon HD 7400 G
Wireless Type 802.11bgn

ProBook 440 G1 Notebook: $681

Processor: Intel Core i5 (4th Gen) 4200M / 2.5 GHz
Hard Drive: 500 GB HDD / 5400 rpm
RAM: 4GBDDR3 SDRAM
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4600

If you notice I'm partial to 14 inch screens and non-touch screens.

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,611)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Platform: PC

Reputation modifier: 17

Tuesday, March 25th 2014, 9:16am

Depends on what kind of games you want to play. If source/valve games like TF2 and CSS are the "top" you'd play, then Intel's 4000 HD Graphics is enough (Not sure what is AMD's equivalent). If you really need speed and hate to wait for HDD to spin up you should really get a laptop with small SSD or hybrid storage. No matter how fast your computer is, slow HDD will not let it run like a wind. Higher resolution is nice to have and helps reading text, but it's not really _THAT_ necessary if you want to savor pennies. I am personally devving symthic on my 300€ ASUS laptop on weekends, and it is not really slowing me down too much (just the fact my games are on my desktop).
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

ToTheSun!

Be Creative.

(5,050)

Date of registration
: Mar 9th 2012

Reputation modifier: 19

Tuesday, March 25th 2014, 9:25am

if you want to savor pennies

I read this in an unintended manner.

Date of registration
: Jun 25th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Tuesday, March 25th 2014, 10:45am

MSI has some pretty damn good ones with good cash:power ratio.

IG

Always trust a Tork!

(1,364)

Date of registration
: Dec 24th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Tuesday, March 25th 2014, 5:07pm

What type of games you play is important.
I seriously doubt any 800 dollar laptop is gonna run BF4 properly, maybe at low settings... But I don't think any 800 dollar laptop will give you a pleasant experience.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, March 25th 2014, 7:09pm

I seriously doubt any 800 dollar laptop is gonna run BF4 properly, maybe at low settings... But I don't think any 800 dollar laptop will give you a pleasant experience.

Depends on what kind of games you want to play. If source/valve games like TF2 and CSS are the "top" you'd play, then Intel's 4000 HD Graphics is enough (Not sure what is AMD's equivalent). If you really need speed and hate to wait for HDD to spin up you should really get a laptop with small SSD or hybrid storage. No matter how fast your computer is, slow HDD will not let it run like a wind. Higher resolution is nice to have and helps reading text, but it's not really _THAT_ necessary if you want to savor pennies. I am personally devving symthic on my 300€ ASUS laptop on weekends, and it is not really slowing me down too much (just the fact my games are on my desktop).

I probably won't play FPS games, maybe LoL, Dragonsnest, and some browser based games.

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Tuesday, March 25th 2014, 7:34pm

Quite frankly, having an SSD is the most important thing in a laptop used for work these days. Laptops spend a lot of time getting shutdown and rebooted if you're using them as mobile computers as well. SSD is also super useful if you need to boot a computer to show something in a meeting, etc.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, March 25th 2014, 7:52pm

Quite frankly, having an SSD is the most important thing in a laptop used for work these days. Laptops spend a lot of time getting shutdown and rebooted if you're using them as mobile computers as well. SSD is also super useful if you need to boot a computer to show something in a meeting, etc.

They're quite expensive, I'm on a $800 budget. >.<

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Tuesday, March 25th 2014, 8:07pm

I got an i5, 4 gb ram ultrabook with SSD and intel HD4000 for 600$

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, March 25th 2014, 9:24pm

I got an i5, 4 gb ram ultrabook with SSD and intel HD4000 for 600$

You know, I think that Dell XPS I posted has SSD. It's graphics card is ambiguous though, it doesn't show what it is. Of the computers I posted which do you think is best?