Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Watcher-45

He's watching...

(758)

• "Watcher-45" started this thread

Date of registration
: May 5th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Sunday, November 10th 2013, 8:04am

Gaming mouse - MMO for FPS?

Hey guys, the time has come for me to get a new mouse. Looking for some help here, as I don't claim to know everyone that makes gaming peripherals.

My current and very loved mouse is this: A Cooler-Master CM Storm Inferno.

Let me give you a quick rundown on it, it will help you help me find something similar.

There is the left/right/wheel, the 3 middle buttons are DPI and profile, there is a left shoulder and right shoulder, and the left side has your typical "back" and "forward" and the rearmost side key is a function key branded the "Storm Tactics" key. Easily defined, it is like a Shift key that allows you to add a second programming to any of the other keys. This plus macro ability lists it as a MMO type mouse, but I've found it works extremely well in FPSs with a lot of functions like BF3/BF4.

Here is the way I have it set up for BF3:

Left click = fire. +ST = knife attack.
Right click = jump. +ST = crouch-toggle
Wheel-click = ADS toggle
"Back" = throw grenade
Left shoulder = firing mode. +ST = laser/light on/off
Right shoulder = hold-breath. +ST = map on/off
I don't use the "forward" button because my thumb can't reach it too well without changing my grip.

Anyway, the left click switch wore out. It still works fine, but feels like garbage. I went to the place I got it to get a replacement and they were out of stock. After browsing through what they had I got this: A Coolermaster CM Storm Sentinel Advance II.

What called me to it was it was on sale with a $20 rebate, and it also had the same "Storm Tactics" key like the Inferno had.

After unboxing it, downloading the software, and starting to think about how to outfit it, I have realized that I am unwilling to lose any of the function that I had with the Inferno and the Sentinel just doesn't have enough buttons. It's going back to the store for a refund.

All of the mice I am typically finding that have extra buttons have way too many and/or are laid out for only thumb use (such as the Corsair M95), or the buttons that are on top along side the left click button seem like they aren't set well to use in an FPS (like the Logitech G700s).

Does anyone know of any company that makes a mouse with shoulder buttons like the Inferno? Ideally I'd like to utilise my index and middle finger for more than just left and right click.
Does anyone else besides CM Storm make a mouse with the "Storm Tactic" type functionality key?

The closest thing I've been able to find is the Genius GX-Gaming Gila, but I don't know how I feel about buying an alien mouse online. I know I like the feel of the Inferno, so if I just decide to replace it directly I'll get it on Amazon. But if I order a Gila and hate it then I gotta box it back up and ship it back and wait for a refund and blah blah blah.
Plus I've never heard of Genius, and I don't know what kind of track record they have.

Any recommendations? Thanks guys :thumbsup:
All bike, all the time!

Spoiler Spoiler

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Watcher-45" (Nov 10th 2013, 8:11am)

Riesig

Random Signature Generator

(798)

Date of registration
: Mar 8th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Sunday, November 10th 2013, 8:30am

I'm a tsundere tentacle

Date of registration
: Mar 9th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 4

Sunday, November 10th 2013, 8:46am

Or the Roccat Kone XTD...

And maybe this one: Razer Ouroboros Gaming Mouse - Ambidextrous Mouse for Gaming - Razer United States Not sure if it fits you perfectly, but you can costumize it as hell. (Maybe also the Razer Orochi)

Watcher-45

He's watching...

(758)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Sunday, November 10th 2013, 9:09am

That Roccat Kone looks good, but I wish it had more buttons.

As is it would be difficult for me to make a nice arrangement for everything I want, if it had one extra thumb button it would be great!

Looks like I could easily make it work with some minor re-arranging and creative scroll button use.

I don't know how I feel about Razer products. I've heard a lot of good/bad about them, and the whole customizability thing is kind of gimmicky to me. I did try a Cyborg RAT back in the day and could never get it to feel right.

I'm not opposed to buttons on either side, though. My first mouse was a basic Microsoft one with one left side button and one right side button and as I recall I used them each for something in game.

"Sniper" buttons piss me off. The RAT I had featured one and they intelligently did not allow you to reprogram it and it was the only side button. Total waste.
The Roccat says you can reprogram it, the Razer doesn't but I am hoping you can.

Thanks for the links, guys.
All bike, all the time!

Spoiler Spoiler

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Watcher-45" (Nov 10th 2013, 9:26am)

Octopuss

Rocktopus

(274)

Date of registration
: Feb 16th 2013

Reputation modifier: 9

Sunday, November 10th 2013, 9:22am

Just out of curiosity, how do you use those advanced functions in BF4? Do you map those "easyshift" functions to specific keyboard key or something, or how do you use it ingame? My mouse has similar features, but I am pretty clueless how to make it work.

Watcher-45

He's watching...

(758)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Sunday, November 10th 2013, 9:31am

Just out of curiosity, how do you use those advanced functions in BF4? Do you map those "easyshift" functions to specific keyboard key or something, or how do you use it ingame? My mouse has similar features, but I am pretty clueless how to make it work.

Yeah, most of them are bound to keyboard letters/keys.

For example, I set "knife" to the key "K" in game, and on the mouse I set "Storm Tactics" + "Left Click" = "Keyboard: K".

I've found that most games do not recognize advanced mouse inputs like scroll wheel tilt, but if you set the controls you want in game to keyboard assignments and set the mouse buttons to replicate keyboard inputs through the mouse software, then you have those controls on the mouse.
All bike, all the time!

Spoiler Spoiler

Octopuss

Rocktopus

(274)

Date of registration
: Feb 16th 2013

Reputation modifier: 9

Sunday, November 10th 2013, 9:34am

The problem with BF4 in particular is that it only recognizes five mouse buttons (according to Reddit post by Demize99). From my own experience these are the normal click buttons, thumb buttons, and wheel click. Pretty lousy if you ask me. Mice are so much more advanced these days.

Riesig

Random Signature Generator

(798)

Date of registration
: Mar 8th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Sunday, November 10th 2013, 9:46am

Please, Savu master race.

It has a perfect sensor

Everything else is inferior, even the KOne
I'm a tsundere tentacle

Date of registration
: Mar 9th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 4

Sunday, November 10th 2013, 9:52am

The problem with BF4 in particular is that it only recognizes five mouse buttons (according to Reddit post by Demize99). From my own experience these are the normal click buttons, thumb buttons, and wheel click. Pretty lousy if you ask me. Mice are so much more advanced these days.
That's why gaming mice have nice software, where you can set it up. No need for the ingame settings.

Watcher-45

He's watching...

(758)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Sunday, November 10th 2013, 10:20am

Please, Savu master race.

It has a perfect sensor

Everything else is inferior, even the KOne

But... it's so...

... Basic.

Actually the more I am thinking about it the Kova might be more user friendly for me as I can use the right side buttons with my ring finger. I am not really digging the optical sensor, though.

On the subject, I've typically used laser mice. I was always under the impression that laser>optical for more precision. I've only ever had one optical mouse, and to me it felt like as the mousepad got dirty and worn out the mouse would start to stutter and go in slightly wrong directions whereas the laser would more or less see through the surface imperfections.

Am I wrong? Was it just a shitty mouse? Has optical gotten better?
All bike, all the time!

Spoiler Spoiler