Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

Date of registration
: Jan 7th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Saturday, August 8th 2015, 12:52am

@Nick 30075

That matches my expectations regarding US media (confirmation bias, hello?). Whenever I see some political program (news show etc.) from Fox it seems blatantly biased and yet it seems Americans don't notice?

I saw something on Reddit some time ago about something like 80 % of Americans trusting Fox but I couldn't find it again, but I did find this which places Fox as the most trusted network (local channels excluded), with 20 % trusting Fox "a great deal" and 29 % trusting Fox the most out of the major networks. There's likely some bias there though, as they are the most trusted major outlet by Republicans, at 58 %(confirmation bias, hello?), but the least trusted by democrats, at only 3 %.

However, it seems like a large portion (48 %) of viewers think the news outlets are less trustworthy now than before ("in the days of Walter Cronkite"), so there is still some hope.

Yeah, I recall reading a study which showed that FOX viewers know less about current world events than people who don't watch the news (they're infamous for lying to their audience).

I've mentioned these studies to diehard FOX fans and they always start talking about "liberal conspiracies to discredit the only news network which cares about America" (exact quote from one guy I talked to).

Then there's the anti-intellectual movement, and the changing of how certain topics are presented in schools to favor America, etc. Case in point--Oklahoma tried to ban the AP US History curriculum from the state because the state didn't want to acknowledge the fights over women's suffrage and the Civil Rights Movement (it's actually hilarious)--not out of anything racist but because they want to convey this impression that "America is perfect and always has been."

Purely anecdotally, I can confirm that his happens a lot in the deep south. (Important note--I went to one of the best high schools in America (SCGSSM) and I'm excluding the two years I spent there (11th and 12th grade).)

On the American Civil War--We never read a single major speech or declaration written by the Confederacy in South Carolina and only *once* in 12 years of history classes did we mention slavery with regards to the Confederacy. I bothered to read up on it on my own and recognize it as a war over slavery but people educated here have never heard about that side of things before. That's why there was so much opposition to the removal of the Confederate flag down here--we don't address the role of slavery in causing the Civil War in schools. People don't see the Confederacy as racist because no one has ever shown them that it was.

On the Texas Revolution--The majority of textbooks published in the United States come out of Texas. They have to meet Texas's publishing rules and Texas's history curriculum. Case in point--we alwasy spent more time in history class talking about the Alamo (one lost battle in the Texas Revolution) than the entirety of WWI or even the Civil War. If Texas wants to see it in its textbooks then everyone else has to learn those things too. This means dangerous things for topics like evolution and the like--if Texas, a very right-wing state, does not want to teach something in its state then the rest of the country is so impaired.

On American oppression--In 12 years of history classes, we never mentioned how the majority of Japanese Americans were placed in concentration camps during WWII.

On American's treatment of Native Americans--In 12 years of history classes, we only once talked about how America spent decades killing off Native Americans and taking their land. I've talked to a few people about it. Few of them have known what I meant and those who have told me that (exact quote) "well, they were killing each other anyways, so it's okay" and a few variants of the like--they were a less sophisticated culture so killing them wasn't wrong.

On Vietnam--We never once talked about Vietnam in any of my history classes, including one US History class I took in 10th grade focused on America's history since 1900.

tl;dr
American exceptionalism is taught to Americans who don't bother to question it. It's one of the reasons we Americans come across like idiots to the rest of the world--we don't know any better, even about ourselves.
Emperor Nick of the Cult of Defibrillation
Sith Deity of Thread-Killing

I'm basically just a degenerate weeb who doesn't post much nowadays.

I'm secretly Old Man Symthic

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Words of Wisdom (not really)

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

You're fedorable :love:

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

I have the highest postcount. Nick doesn't count.

Quoted

23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm -
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Okay
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm stabbing everyone
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Bye guys
23:44 Nick: *flips table*
23:44 Legion: Bye, happy stabbing
23:44 *** Lt_Col_Jesus quit (Quit: off to murder the public at large).

Quoted

10:41 LB: You just...reanimated Steve Jobs.
10:41 Dice: Well that would be unfortunate, I was just getting used to him being dead.

Quoted from "Pheozero"

... fuck. Damn you hindsight!

Quoted

23:58 Failure117: CAUSE IM FREEE
23:58 Nick: AS A BIIIIRD NOW
23:58 Failure117: FREEE OF NICK'S WORM RAPE

Quoted

ViperFTW: HEY LOOK
ViperFTW: AN ALIEN LASER FISH THE SIZE OF THE SUN
ViperFTW: I WANT TO SWAT IT WITH MY COMICLY LARGE SWORD
ViperFTW: WITH
ViperFTW: THIS
ViperFTW: AS
ViperFTW: MY
ViperFTW: FUUUUCKING SOUNDTRACK :DDDD
(the album in question)

DeathOfTheDodo

Veni, SMAW, Vici

(863)

Date of registration
: Jun 30th 2013

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Saturday, August 8th 2015, 1:10am

anti-intellectual

tl;dr tl;dr:

[SYM]Deathofthedodo
BE ADVISED BE ADVISED BE ADVISED BE ADVISED BE ADVISED BE ADVISED BE ADVISED

"AK Attachment Guide"

No.

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, August 8th 2015, 3:01am

anti-intellectual

tl;dr tl;dr:

I just spent 20 minutes trying to re-find an article I read on the south's involvement in the 2000 election. I spent 20 minutes and can't find it :( . It spent a lot of time talking about the anti-education nonsense that goes on down south.

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

Quoted

Quoted

10:41 Dice: Well that would be unfortunate, I was just getting used to him being dead.

Quoted from "Pheozero"

Quoted

Quoted

(the album in question)

C0llis

Up and down. Bounce all around

(3,334)

Date of registration
: Apr 15th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Saturday, August 8th 2015, 3:25am

@NoctyrneSAGA
@Nick 30075

Thank you both for interesting insight. By not being an American (and only being able to put up with so much of American "news") I appreciate the insight into how you experience it.

Especially the things you wrote about the historical curriculum you have had was very interesting, Nick. Excluding things from the curriculum in that fashion is rather Orwellian and with all that's going on about NSA, CISA and such it seems like 1984 is more relevant than ever.

I won't dwell on this subject though as it's just asking for a rule 12 report.

Also, I'm by no means saying that politics in Sweden(/Europe) isn't shit too, it's just that "everything is bigger in the USA".

Things people said

And reading Youtube comments still gives me Turbo Cancer.

It really is quite frustrating when Helen Keller sets up her LMG in the only doorway in/out of an area.

What kind of question is that? Since when is cheese ever a bad idea?

Hardline is a fun and sometimes silly Cops and Robbers sorta thing and I think that's great. Or it would be if it didn't suck.

MrT3a

The only man who ever reported his own post!

(920)

Date of registration
: Jul 19th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Sunday, August 9th 2015, 1:20am

Well... As said, thanks for the insights.
About Europe, we really are a fragmented community, each country willing to do things in its own ways. France is a good example, our governments always try to postpone application of European laws.

I got sick of reading news. Too many things I read were fucked up, and nothing I could do about it. Too much frustration.
I tried to keep a critical eye on news by reading multiple networks, from different countries, but even that was too much.

On topic : https://youtu.be/C8yC02d7UZY?t=10m9s
I seriously cried from laughing ^^
Stats thingy

Quotes of wisdom (maybe)

I'm a battlefield player, good sir. I don't play metro.

PC is no longer PC master race. It's PC mustard race, because consoles need to ketchup :'D

DICE gave so much into making commander better, but lemmings be lemmings I guess.

As a good guy that don't want to use overly glitched weapons, I'll quit using the MTAR and switch to the ACWR until it's fixed

The world needs more people like you

+1, I think we're all in agreement that more MrT3as would be an awesome thing :love:
Although if that was the case they'd use up so much of the world's awesome that there'd be none left for the rest of us! :D

yes, I know, I'm a big-ass hypocrite

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "MrT3a" (Aug 9th 2015, 1:22pm)

ToTheSun!

Be Creative.

(5,050)

Date of registration
: Mar 9th 2012

Sunday, August 9th 2015, 3:18pm

This is both hilarious and sad at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BnbwUT7lBg
1:00 - Yelling "WE'RE REASONABLE!" is how you DON'T want to get the point across.

ViperFTW

Suidae cathexis

(2,737)

Date of registration
: Jul 1st 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Sunday, August 9th 2015, 3:51pm

1:00 - Yelling "WE'RE REASONABLE!" is how you DON'T want to get the point across.

After Senator Sanders
After Senator Sanders
After Senator Sanders
After Senator Sanders
After Senator Sanders
After Senator Sanders
After Senator Sanders
After Senator Sanders
After Senator Sanders

:D

----------

Doge meme does my fucking head in...But this actually managed to get a hell of a laugh out of me :D

Everybody's Favourite Worthless Support and LMG Fan! :thumbsup:

Song currently stuck in my head is: Red Cold River by Breaking Benjamin!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "ViperFTW" (Aug 9th 2015, 4:46pm)

Mofixil

Sometimes I just get blinded by hate. And tears.

(377)

Date of registration
: Jul 27th 2013

Reputation modifier: 9

Sunday, August 9th 2015, 5:07pm

Decided to play a bit of BF4 with my friends, shortly after, server changed rules to no-shotguns.
Dunno who was more mad, the madmin or everyone else on the server.

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Sunday, August 9th 2015, 7:51pm

My luck is hilarious, I either have streaks of really good luck or streaks of really bad, I don't have much in the middle.

I got in a wreck yesterday. Car might be totaled, depends on how much damage was done to the frame. Stopped at a traffic light, the guy tried to change lanes through me. (his fault)

-__-

I had finished unpacking the moving truck two hours before the wreck.

WELCOME TO AUSTIN, FOLKS.

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

Quoted

Quoted

Quoted from "Pheozero"

Quoted

Quoted

(the album in question)

ToTheSun!

Be Creative.

(5,050)

Date of registration
: Mar 9th 2012

Sunday, August 9th 2015, 8:23pm

WELCOME TO AUSTIN, FOLKS.

Guess nowhere is safe from the hillbillies.