Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Pepin the Short

Sexy (Legal) Secretary

(389)

Date of registration
: Oct 21st 2012

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Thursday, January 17th 2013, 11:03pm

I feel really bad for people who got into the Song of Ice and Fire at the first or second books. Especially after, at the conclusion of the fourth, Martin promises to have the fifth ready and published in only a year or two. That is, by 2007.

Suiizide

Resident Pro

(744)

Date of registration
: Dec 30th 2011

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Friday, January 18th 2013, 3:11am

The most recent one was utterly pointless in my opinion. Very little of interest happened. I do suppose it is probably a necessary evil to set it up for the following books, but that doesn't stop it being dull.

@rhu MBotF is finished. Read it.

Sig

The T-90 is a challenge, the BTR-90 is going to kill everyone in a 100 meter radius and go flying off a hill into a helicopter only to drive off while the corpse of the Cobra it just went through is being dragged through the beach on Oman.
The game will include a fully automatic An-94 launcher, literally firing Abakans at 600 RPM.
clicky
I expect rep.
If J3ST3R is dead, I think I just heard the entity that is grammar let out a sigh of relief...
To say nothing of the inordinate expense incurred by adding functionality to the gun that I may not ever use.
IKEA is the problem! Its all Desksdesksdesksdesksdesksdesksdesksdesks but oh, oh the second you say you want a table they chuckle and say "A table? You mean a kitchen table? How about a bedside table? Oh! Oh you must mean a dining room table!" and I'm like "NO! NO I JUST WANT A STANDARD, BLACK, BORING TABLE!" and they look at me then smile and go "You mean this? 170..." :(
Also, why does the RANDOM thread have a topic?

Why do fish have legs?
Fucking dutch.

Date of registration
: Jun 20th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Friday, January 18th 2013, 3:48pm

Originally, GRRM was going to do a time skip past the period where the last two of these books occurred, resulting in five books not seven. Can't blame him too much, but I think he either got greedy or his editor was fired (actually don't think he has one anyway) and he just said screw it and wrote 1500 pages of travelogue because he could. A friend tried to get me into these back in ~2005, but I resisted until about 2009 and I am still annoyed at how long he takes putting these out. Maybe because he spends so much of his time trying to sell trading cards and calendars that are six years old?

@Suiizide I just started Sigmar so it may be a bit till I get to my next material. It is a little cheesy to me (maybe a lot cheesy) so it is possible that my interest may wane. I'll try to keep your suggestion in mind. Thanks though.

Edit: MBotF is ten books with five others by another author considered canonical? That may be tough to pull off. Our library system may have them all, but finding the time could be tough. Healthy time that is. I obsess over reading far more than I do over gaming and I feel like I have a serious addiction problem with gaming. ;(
Cats are cute; however, they tend to keep all the fucks to themselves

Rarity - LOL

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "rhu" (Jan 18th 2013, 3:53pm)

Suiizide

Resident Pro

(744)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, January 18th 2013, 5:42pm

They co-developed the idea for it, originally as a tabletop RPG if I remember correctly. Erikson wrote the main series itself, and by most peoples standards, writes better as well. Esslemont writes canonical additions that help to explain a lot of the back story and lore, which believe me, there is a LOT. Reading Erikson's work should be the primary goal, as Esslemonts doesn't develop the main plot in any way, just helps to provide some more information.

As for acquiring books, I use an Amazon Kindle. Arguably the best purchase of my life.

Sig

The T-90 is a challenge, the BTR-90 is going to kill everyone in a 100 meter radius and go flying off a hill into a helicopter only to drive off while the corpse of the Cobra it just went through is being dragged through the beach on Oman.
The game will include a fully automatic An-94 launcher, literally firing Abakans at 600 RPM.
clicky
I expect rep.
If J3ST3R is dead, I think I just heard the entity that is grammar let out a sigh of relief...
To say nothing of the inordinate expense incurred by adding functionality to the gun that I may not ever use.
IKEA is the problem! Its all Desksdesksdesksdesksdesksdesksdesksdesks but oh, oh the second you say you want a table they chuckle and say "A table? You mean a kitchen table? How about a bedside table? Oh! Oh you must mean a dining room table!" and I'm like "NO! NO I JUST WANT A STANDARD, BLACK, BORING TABLE!" and they look at me then smile and go "You mean this? 170..." :(

Why do fish have legs?
Fucking dutch.

Pepin the Short

Sexy (Legal) Secretary

(389)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, March 22nd 2013, 11:12pm

If this counts as a necropost, I don't really care, because I finally finished A Memory of Light, and God damn do those books take a long time to read.

That book was marvelous. I loved damn near every bit of it. I can't recommend it to anybody in good conscience, because appreciating it means having to read all of the series' preceding four million words. And, if fantasy is not your cup of tea, that is not an ordeal I would wish upon my worst enemy.
Still, it was amazing. Know that I am being completely serious when I say that there was more than one point where I had to stop reading, set the book down, and cry.

I shed tears. I hope you two are happy, Jordan and Sanderson.

Suiizide

Resident Pro

(744)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Sunday, March 24th 2013, 2:23am

I'm working through number 8 right now. I don't read slowly, but I don't very often any more. When I do read I put away about half a book at a time.

As for tears, I've shed tears already this series, and seeing what Rand has to become makes tears well up at the thought. Along with A Song of Fire and Ice and the Malazan Book of the Fallen, this is one of those few series that can touch me that deeply.

Sig

clicky
I expect rep.

Why do fish have legs?
Fucking dutch.

Pepin the Short

Sexy (Legal) Secretary

(389)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Sunday, March 24th 2013, 3:28am

I know that feeling.
I consume even a massive tome like any of the Wheel of Time titles like a man dying of hunger. The only way to read any faster would be to literally eat the damn thing. But then I go weeks without even picking up a book.

I've said it before, even in this thread, that the only other series that moved me so profoundly was The Kingkiller Saga. Both of the currently-published books, on more than one occasion, were so powerful that they could make a grown man; even a cynical, salty old bastard like myself; weep.
Part of it comes through the blitzkrieg attachment that you gain to a character that has more or less been tortured to death (see: The Hunger Games), but the fact that it's a cheap shot doesn't make it any less effective.

Suiizide

Resident Pro

(744)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, March 25th 2013, 8:27am

I know that feeling.
I consume even a massive tome like any of the Wheel of Time titles like a man dying of hunger. The only way to read any faster would be to literally eat the damn thing. But then I go weeks without even picking up a book.

I've said it before, even in this thread, that the only other series that moved me so profoundly was The Kingkiller Saga. Both of the currently-published books, on more than one occasion, were so powerful that they could make a grown man; even a cynical, salty old bastard like myself; weep.
Part of it comes through the blitzkrieg attachment that you gain to a character that has more or less been tortured to death (see: The Hunger Games), but the fact that it's a cheap shot doesn't make it any less effective.
I am the exact same in my reading habits.

Sig

clicky
I expect rep.

Why do fish have legs?
Fucking dutch.