Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

yugas42

(1,329)

Date of registration
: Sep 1st 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Tuesday, May 16th 2017, 4:29pm

It wasn't going to fit in my case so I bought a new case too.

Additions to the rig:

Zotac 1080TI Amp Extreme
Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Also upgraded monitors a few weeks ago to finish my set. Running an Asus VG248QE, and an Asus VE248Q on a Vivo dual monitor stand. Gonna be rebuilding everything tomorrow so pictures of the new setup to come.

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Tuesday, May 16th 2017, 10:53pm

Probably the correct place for this:

My system is getting pretty long in the tooth. Running an i5 4670K, 32gb of DDR 3 186X ram (needed it for a computational application). Biggest bottlneck seems to be the SLI 760 GTXs I'm running. I'm pretty torn between just waiting it out until the new PCI standard releases and everything cycles through another generation or so, or upgrading the GPU to something intermediate like a 1070.

yugas42

(1,329)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, May 17th 2017, 6:08am

My system is getting pretty long in the tooth. Running an i5 4670K, 32gb of DDR 3 186X ram (needed it for a computational application). Biggest bottlneck seems to be the SLI 760 GTXs I'm running. I'm pretty torn between just waiting it out until the new PCI standard releases and everything cycles through another generation or so, or upgrading the GPU to something intermediate like a 1070.

If you're going to replace the CPU, you're going to be replacing the motherboard and RAM as well. New sockets don't support DDR3 memory anymore.

If you wanna build a whole new thing, here are 3 part lists (mostly complete) from resident computer builder Mighty Voice.

System Build - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 1070 8GB, E... - PCPartPicker
System Build - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core, GeForce GTX 1070 8GB, Entho... - PCPartPicker
System Build - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core, GeForce GTX 1070 8GB, Entho... - PCPartPicker

And then two from me.

System Build - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Du... - PCPartPicker
System Build - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core, GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Dual ... - PCPartPicker

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, May 17th 2017, 6:45pm

If you're going to replace the CPU, you're going to be replacing the motherboard and RAM as well. New sockets don't support DDR3 memory anymore.

If you wanna build a whole new thing, here are 3 part lists (mostly complete) from resident computer builder Mighty Voice.

System Build - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 1070 8GB, E... - PCPartPicker
System Build - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core, GeForce GTX 1070 8GB, Entho... - PCPartPicker
System Build - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core, GeForce GTX 1070 8GB, Entho... - PCPartPicker

And then two from me.

System Build - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Du... - PCPartPicker
System Build - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core, GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Dual ... - PCPartPicker

Yeah, so that's the thing. I'm torn between just replacing the GPU now and then waiting until the CPU bottlenecks (I figure 2ish years?), or just toughing it out the two years and doing a full new build.

So I guess the question is more like: how worth it is to replace the GPU on an older I5 build?

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,073)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Reputation modifier: 16

Wednesday, May 17th 2017, 7:04pm

So I guess the question is more like: how worth it is to replace the GPU on an older I5 build?

Depends on what you play. Honestly, my brother is using old i7 930 with Radeon HD 7970, and most games run fine. Mostly Total Wars are being slow I hear. I can't see your i5 being a serious bottleneck for a while yet, although some games get some FPS boost from new CPUs like Skylakes.
Like yugas mentioned, your CPU upgrade would be pricey at this point, considering you would have to get new motherboard + memory + cpu.

tl;dr: Go ahead and upgrade GPU first (my two cents). My friend just upgraded from GTX 760 to GTX 1060 with same CPU, and now games are going buttersmooth.
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, May 17th 2017, 8:35pm

Depends on what you play. Honestly, my brother is using old i7 930 with Radeon HD 7970, and most games run fine. Mostly Total Wars are being slow I hear. I can't see your i5 being a serious bottleneck for a while yet, although some games get some FPS boost from new CPUs like Skylakes.
Like yugas mentioned, your CPU upgrade would be pricey at this point, considering you would have to get new motherboard + memory + cpu.

tl;dr: Go ahead and upgrade GPU first (my two cents). My friend just upgraded from GTX 760 to GTX 1060 with same CPU, and now games are going buttersmooth.

Only games I'm currently playing that really demand hardware are BF1 and Space Engineers (the latter of which I've basically given up). The rest is all stuff that runs fine on a potato. Nothing else AAA has really grabbed me but of course that is always subject to change.

BF1 is playable, but definitely not getting the full graphical experience, and lots of frame dropping with the SLI it seems. If it's not crazy to toss a new GPU into a older system I'll go ahead and pick up a 1070. Hopefully can offload the two 760s as well.

C0llis

Up and down. Bounce all around

(3,334)

Date of registration
: Apr 15th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Wednesday, May 17th 2017, 8:50pm

@tankmayvin

I also have a i5 4670K system. I used to run two 770's in SLI but upgraded to a 1070 this March.

The jump in performance was noticeable, a lot of it was due to no longer being hampered by the measly two gigs of RAM. The better thermals of not running SLI are also welcome.

So TL;DR would be: going from SLI 760/770's to a 1070 on a 4670K rig will net you a noticeable performance increase, the CPU won't bottleneck you for regular gaming.

Things people said

And reading Youtube comments still gives me Turbo Cancer.

It really is quite frustrating when Helen Keller sets up her LMG in the only doorway in/out of an area.

What kind of question is that? Since when is cheese ever a bad idea?

Hardline is a fun and sometimes silly Cops and Robbers sorta thing and I think that's great. Or it would be if it didn't suck.

yugas42

(1,329)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, May 17th 2017, 10:11pm

Finished rebuilding my system a few hours ago and haven't really gotten a chance to push it yet, but I can say the Enthoo Pro case is a joy to build in. It really makes you look better than you are at cable management. Went with white LED fans this time and they're a lot more mild than the blue that used to light the entire room before.

Spoiler Spoiler

edit: Just finally got to play some DOOM. Old GPU on medium settings was around 12-14 FPS, new is 170-190 on high/ultra. Good times.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "yugas42" (May 17th 2017, 11:06pm)

TheMightyVoice

The Pantless Messiah Returns

(1,830)

Date of registration
: May 22nd 2012

Battlelog:

Thursday, May 18th 2017, 5:06pm

CPU bottlenecking is getting interesting. While older decent unlocked Intel processors aren't necessarily huge bottlenecks in a lot of triple-A games, some games, largely F2P games run on older less advanced engines that utilize 1-2 cores at most, so generational IPC improvements and newer Intel processors such as the 7600k and 7700k are able to push 4.8+ Ghz on nearly all processors, with many able to push 5 and beyond. This can be used to brute force higher frame rates out of such games. Conversely, in many of the current generation Triple-A games and for many to come, greater CPU core counts help prevent microstutters and frame dips, and also assist in multi tasking (IE Streaming while gaming, watching videos, or streams while gaming).

Really, the decision to upgrade platforms is one that depends on what you have now and what you play. If I was upgrading my computer today and not several months ago, I'd have a rough time deciding what I wanted to do CPU wise because of the games I play.

tl;dr - New Intel CPUs (Kaby Lake) can boost performance in very CPU intensive games that don't use many cores, new AMD CPUs can run newer Triple-A games more smoothly and blow away Intel in price-performance.

If your CPU is overclockable and only two or three generations old you shouldn't have to worry about CPU bottlenecking for a little while, but I wouldn't suggest spending $750 on a graphics card for that platform, either. If you want a full breakdown of what I think is best for your use case, feel free to pay me :>
Eat your heart out, Badger.

Spoiler Spoiler

<elementofprgress> yummm baby jesus
<elementofprgress> but i'd prefer jesus with ketchup

<cloon> women are allowed to play hockey?
<daddygreeenjeans> body checks are a fundamental part of women's suffrage

<Riesig> "... I'M GAY..."

steamboat28: the doctors at the ER found my nipples, too!
steamboat28: it just..y'know...took them a razor and two orderlies.

<Legion> And damn, now I really want some [redacted] penetrator measurements

<Rezal> peipin, why did you tell them you brought your phone?
<Pepin_the_Short> Because there’s like a one in five chance of getting searched on the way out
<Pepin_the_Short> And trying to sneak the fucker out is way worse than letting them look at Cloon’s dick pics.

17:52:08 <Rezal> Unfortunately, this video is not available in your country because it could contain music, for which we could not agree on conditions of use with GEMA.
17:52:15 <ToTheSun> lolgema
17:52:15 <TheMightyVoice> lolgema

<Legion> But I literally am Hitler right now
Somehow my bullets are magnetically attracted to popular Youtubers, but theirs rarely seem to hit me.

Date of registration
: May 10th 2017

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 1

Tuesday, May 23rd 2017, 4:04pm

Hi folks! As in question - I am beginner and I want to buy a new Keyboard in the £150-200 max range. I know that should get a > £400 one but I'm student without too much money to spend.
Now had a quick look at Corsair K70
Top 5 best Gaming Keyboards - reviews on Bestadvisers.co.uk
Seems like a pretty good product
But what's the difference between the k70, k70 lux and the k70 rapidfire?
would appreciate the help