Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Date of registration
: Dec 23rd 2014

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Friday, May 27th 2016, 5:17pm

Soo 1080 founder's edition turns out to be 800 in Finnish stores. Can't wait to see the price tag of 1080 Ti :v. Kind of odd that among founders editions there are the usual "non-founder" ones with aftermarket coolers, but I thought those were to be released later on. At least these product descriptions do not mention anything about them being founders editions. They are also 800 too, while I thought the non-founder ones should have been 100 cheaper or smth.

Anyways, with a price tag like that I would say it's nothing astonishing. Similar improvement from last generation as there was before 9xx and the price goes straight to 980 Ti levels. 1070 seems interesting enough tho.

Yeah I found them online today too. And those will be released later, they exist already though, Jimm's for example has their delivery estimate as "not confirmed".
Where flesh fails, machine endures.

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,584)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Reputation modifier: 17

Friday, May 27th 2016, 6:12pm

Yeah I found them online today too. And those will be released later, they exist already though, Jimm's for example has their delivery estimate as "not confirmed".

Yeah I guess they are just shown there so people can see what's coming, but they are priced at 800 nevertheless. I guess they will update the prices.

But yeah, if Polaris won't deliver any reasonable upgrade to my HD7970 I might even go with nvidia this time (*shivers*)... It's not that I really need an upgrade, but I promised my brother gets a new GPU this summer.
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

LucidNonsenze

Elite (Not Really)

(708)

Date of registration
: May 14th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Friday, May 27th 2016, 7:14pm

Yeah I guess they are just shown there so people can see what's coming, but they are priced at 800 nevertheless. I guess they will update the prices.

But yeah, if Polaris won't deliver any reasonable upgrade to my HD7970 I might even go with nvidia this time (*shivers*)... It's not that I really need an upgrade, but I promised my brother gets a new GPU this summer.
You have to admire how competitive AMD have kept the 7970, can still play new games on high with 60fps 4 years later, it pretty much matches the GTX 780, a newer more expensive card.

My main concern with going nvidia is how poorly they seem to optimise older cards these days, my poor ex-flatmates GTX 660 (was mine before) used to compete with7870/270x and now its miles behind and can barely rum 40fps in some new releases on low with a 20% overstock.

Signature

BF4, PC.

AMD FX8350 at 4.4GHz.
AMD R9 280x MSI Twin Frozr OC'ed to 1150MHz Core. 1700MHz Memory.
8GB Crucial RAM 1600MHz CL9-9-9-24 1T.
1TB 7200 RPM HD
Logitech G400 mouse.
MSI 990 series motherboard
1920 x 1080 IPS Monitor.

Date of registration
: Feb 25th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Friday, May 27th 2016, 7:37pm

You have to admire how competitive AMD have kept the 7970, can still play new games on high with 60fps 4 years later, it pretty much matches the GTX 780, a newer more expensive card.

My main concern with going nvidia is how poorly they seem to optimise older cards these days, my poor ex-flatmates GTX 660 (was mine before) used to compete with7870/270x and now its miles behind and can barely rum 40fps in some new releases on low with a 20% overstock.

not only the 7970, but also the 7950 3gb

in general the 79XX series is pretty good.
"I'm just a loot whore."

stuff mostly unrelated to BF4 that interests nobody

bf4
on 13/05/2016
23rd M320FB user on pc(13/05/16)
rush mode score RANK:2794 TOP:2% OUT OF:215398
obliteration mode scoreRANK:994 TOP:1% OUT OF:159466
handgun medals RANK:2236 TOP:2% OUT OF:143874
longest headshot RANK:9512 TOP:4% OUT OF:257589
recon score RANK:10871 TOP:4% OUT OF:274899
general score per minute RANK:10016 TOP:4% OUT OF:294774

bf3
31/3/2012 4:58:

Headshot distance RANK:493* TOP:0%
Revives per assault minute RANK: 6019 TOP: 3%
Headshots / kill percentage RANK:25947 TOP:13%
MVP ribbons RANK:18824 TOP:11%

*= 6 if we not count the EOD BOT headshots

@kataklism

ARGUMENT DESTROYED 100

ENEMY KILLED [REASON] JSLICE20 100

WRITING SPREE STOPPED 500

link to full-size old avatar:
http://i.imgur.com/4X0321O.gif

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,584)

Date of registration

Friday, May 27th 2016, 9:37pm

@iota-09
@LucidNonsenze
Yeah gotta agree on that. I'd hazard a guess it's the CNG architecture that was introduced in 78xx/79xx series, and it has been the same more or less. Meanwhile Nvidia seems to change architecture/"core" with each new generation and thus each gen needs separate set of drivers (meanwhile 7970 still uses the same ones R9 3xx use etc).
But yeah, it can even run games on [email protected] decently as long I put things to lowest settings. My overclocking attempts also went quite well and they gave considerable results, but I am too much of a snob to stand the louder fans.
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

LucidNonsenze

Elite (Not Really)

(708)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, May 28th 2016, 1:37pm

I'd hazard a guess it's the CNG architecture that was introduced in 78xx/79xx series, and it has been the same more or less. Meanwhile Nvidia seems to change architecture/"core" with each new generation and thus each gen needs separate set of drivers (meanwhile 7970 still uses the same ones R9 3xx use etc).
Yeah that's probably some of the reason. Also AMD has sacrificed efficiency to remain ahead in price performance. AMD seemed to go with lots of the same architecture highly refined, allowing cheaper mass production with the added bonus of efficiency in driver compatability. Nvidia on the other hand seem driven to go for much superior energy efficiency via updated architectures, leading them to sacrifice the price/performance and quality of drivers on older cards. Or maybe due to their superior market share they feel confident they can shaft those with older cards via gimped drivers in new games to encourage upgrading, a sensible business tactic provided word never leaks, though a bit shit for consumers. We'll never know for sure either way most likely.

Signature

BF4, PC.

AMD FX8350 at 4.4GHz.
1TB 7200 RPM HD
Logitech G400 mouse.
1920 x 1080 IPS Monitor.

Date of registration
: Aug 1st 2015

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 2

Saturday, May 28th 2016, 7:29pm

I am getting some fishy behavoir from my 980 Ti, it never goes above 50% usager in BF4 even when i am at 110 FPS, my monitor is 144Hz. It shouldnt be cpu bottleneck because i have a 6600K, any ideas?

LucidNonsenze

Elite (Not Really)

(708)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, May 28th 2016, 8:01pm

I am getting some fishy behavoir from my 980 Ti, it never goes above 50% usager in BF4 even when i am at 110 FPS, my monitor is 144Hz. It shouldnt be cpu bottleneck because i have a 6600K, any ideas?
I used to have the exact same issue with my 280x, CPU, GPU, RAM and HDD usage all relatively low but low FPS. It's been so long since it fixed I can't even remember how it happened for sure. I think it was when I flashed my BIOS to a newer version to fix the issue the MSi 280x had with the original bios and VRM overheating. Yet I remember other games more demanding running smoothly.

It works perfectly now with DX11 in BF3 and BF4 my average FPS is around 70 - 90 with most settings turned up to ultra.

Check to see if your specific model of card has any such issues, check GPU core temp and VRM temp at load as well. Use GPU-Z to find if PCI-E lanes are running to full potential.

Signature

BF4, PC.

AMD FX8350 at 4.4GHz.
1TB 7200 RPM HD
Logitech G400 mouse.
1920 x 1080 IPS Monitor.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "LucidNonsenze" (May 28th 2016, 8:19pm)

Date of registration
: Dec 8th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Sunday, May 29th 2016, 3:05am

Somewhat relevant: Just a though- Sometimes I regret upgrading to 1440p from 1080p for gaming purposes. If you are thinking of buying a 1440p monitor, you might want to take a few things into account. : buildapc

Source code

<---|Professional CS player| --------------- |Moderate/Gamer for fun| ---------------- |NYSE Broker|--->
-The further right you fall the more you will value the 1440p
-Those towards the left side of the spectrum should seek 1080p 120hz+
-Those in the middle need to do some soul searching and figure out where to make the compromise

At least, the "dilemma" described by the first post fits me. I got a 2nd GTX 980 to run SLI, thus giving my computer 50% -> 80% more 3D power depending on how good NVIDIA drivers + game engine programming are. At the same time, I got a 1440p @ 144Hz monitor to replace 1080p @ 60Hz, which then requires my computer to push ~78% more pixels. Running the same games at the same settings, just with increase in resolution, meant pretty much all the extra horsepower (from the SLI) went into pushing the extra pixels (from "upgrading" the monitor). My net performance gain is already at pretty much 0 already, and future more demanding games will lower that even more, I expect into negative territories.

I kinda knew that going in, and was convinced that I would be happy with a 24in 1080p @ 144Hz monitor. Unfortunately I also want IPS and no such panel exists. Currently the only IPS "gaming" panel available is this AU Optronics job, and for now it's only available in 27in 1440p @ 144Hz.

I currently play BF4, R6: Siege, Mount & Blade and Dragon Age: Inquisition. Nothing that screen real estate would be critical like Strategy or stuffs like Diablo. You can say that I'm right in the "left-middle" part of that line, and especially in BF4 due to my chosen play style I need all the advantages I can get.

Thus, just this morning, I changed all the in-game resolutions to 1920x1080 @ 144Hz, scaling up to the 27in. The blurring on the text and lines are noticeable (due to scaling) and I'm sure I'll be fed up soon, but (anecdotally) the only BF4 round so far is a 30-kills 33%+ weapon accuracy job with a suppressed QBU-88 on Hangar 21 outside. I'll take that for now.

Because, the alternative is to throw even MORE horsepower at the rig... sell the 980s and try to get a 1080... then another 1080... that's just ridiculous....

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,584)

Date of registration

Sunday, May 29th 2016, 12:49pm

@Veritable
I'm honestly quite surprised with that myself too. Like I have mentioned, I haven't had any trouble running my games at [email protected] with my HD7970. Sure, I have to set graphical settings to their lowest but unless the game is very badly optimized (*cough*The Culling*cough*) I can play games at native resolution with +100Fps most of the time, which does dip under 60fps at high action parts (explosions, particles, post-process effects, you name it). However all in all I am completely happy with the setup, and it should get even better when I get 480x or similar.

Maybe it's the fact you're using SLI? I hear it should be good (at least better then crossfire) but has its own quirks with bunch of games and whatnot.