Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Date of registration
: Nov 15th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Monday, April 1st 2013, 4:01pm

IMO it's part of the fun of joining the master race. You have to be willing to fiddle with stuff and things breaking, bla bla bla.

Have you sent a support request to asus, Aeno?
Finesse

You do not have it.

Sleeper case...

[email protected]
Noctua NH-U14s

Asus Z97-I plus
2x8GB DDR3-1866

eVGA GTX 670 blower, can't remember what edition
Assortment of HDDs and SSDs
Silverstone SFX 600w

Aenonar

Data Analyzer

(2,795)

Date of registration
: Dec 16th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Monday, April 1st 2013, 4:05pm

If changing ingame settings to significantly lower values has close to zero effect on FPS, it only points at bandwidth problem with PCI-e.

ASUS - P8H77-V LE
There, downloads for your board. There is BIOS update utility there, BIOS-Utilities section. The actual BIOS file is right above that.
Also, doesn't your board have "direct flash" feature by chance? Mine does, I'd just hit some key during POST and flashing utility starts. But using a standalone program for it works just fine, i's just pain in the ass: you need to create bootable CD/flash drive, put both the BIOS file and the flashing utility there, boot, and type some DOS commands like a dick.

The only thing I found in BIOS that could possibly have anything to do with PCIe speed was NB PCIe Configuration with a 4x header which was set to auto... I changed it to 3rd generation and now GPU-Z says I'm running BF3 at 4x 2.0...

This is weird. I was just writing a reply saying you should stick with auto, because most of the PCI-e slots have shared bandwidth, and by setting a fixed speed you could cause some compatibility problems, but after reading this... WTF.

What I would try at this point:
1) Flash the BIOS (remember to load optimized defaults after!!!!!).
2) Try experimenting with various settings for the blue (or whichever the main is supposed to be) slot (auto, gen2) with the sound card still removed. Or also slap the card in any slot that fits.
3) It shouldn't have any impact on this, but just to be perfectly sure: disable all features you don't need. That includes the CPU integrated graphics, any extra SATA controllers (my board has some Marvell shit in addition to the native Intel one for example), the integrated sound chip, that sort of things.
4) Try running Windows temporarily without any stuff running in the background. It's often called "clean boot", and here is how to do it (borrowed from lotro support).
5) Do a clean Windows install. Sometimes shit goes bad somewhere and there's no way to fix it.

Alternatively borrow ANY PCI-e 2.0 capable graphic card from someone.

edit: After some reading around it seems like (at least some if not all) nVidia cards switch to PCI-e 1.1 when idle. Thus, it's perfectly normal. But just that, not the x4 speed.

I did flash BIOS properly (might have missed saying that... Shortly after that I got that boot failure...) and there wasn't any difference whatsoever... Might even have lost it now because I tried to repair windows to get it to start...

Clean boot, well, doubt that will really do much bit I guess I could try.. Nothing changed to the FPS even when I fired up all my normal stuff that should have slowed it down if it could :>

Don't think I even installed the motherboard graphic or sound stuff because I had separate things for that.

Don't have any spare graphic cards atm : / Though my father has the exact same on his comp but still with older stuff around it... Going to test his and see if there's something to that graphic card...

Really don't feel like reinstalling windows D; Pain in the ass to get it to run the way I want.. I just hate Win 7 layout etc >.<

Quoted

(14:06:57) Riesig: I should stop now. People might get sig material again

Riesig

Random Signature Generator

(798)

• "Riesig" started this thread

Date of registration
: Mar 8th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Monday, April 1st 2013, 4:11pm

I'd say rarely.
To someone who would be likely to build his PC once and leave it as it is, I'd say it won't really come to terms like that. But you never know.

To someone who tinkers with his PC alot and sometimes, blow stuff up, like me, regularly. :P
I'm a tsundere tentacle

Aenonar

Data Analyzer

(2,795)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, April 1st 2013, 4:19pm

I don't know, but 30fps for a GTX 550Ti in Battlefield 3 on nearly the lowest settings seems a bit slow.
My friend gets 50-60FPS on low settings with his GT550M
Which is definitely not better than a GTX 550 Ti.

Also, you didn't insert your GPU into the bottom PCIe x16 slot in your motherboard, right?
Because that bottom x16 slot actually runs at x4 speeds.

Nope

IMO it's part of the fun of joining the master race. You have to be willing to fiddle with stuff and things breaking, bla bla bla.

Have you sent a support request to asus, Aeno?

Going to do that tonight if everything else fails, which it looks like it does ;>

And just checked my fathers 550Ti on an older ASUS board, worked fine with 16x although it was stuck at PCIe 1.1 :| /lol

Quoted

Octopuss

Rocktopus

(274)

Date of registration
: Feb 16th 2013

Reputation modifier: 9

Monday, April 1st 2013, 5:41pm

Why don't you try to switch the cards between those two PCs?

Anyway, since the card obviously worked fine in an older PC, I'd say your board is fubar.

Aenonar

Data Analyzer

(2,795)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, April 1st 2013, 8:20pm

Why don't you try to switch the cards between those two PCs?

Anyway, since the card obviously worked fine in an older PC, I'd say your board is fubar.

He's kinda using it :P

Just sent in a report to ASUS... fucking annoying form to fill out where half the "where the hell do I find this info?" didn't work... -.-'

Quoted

Octopuss

Rocktopus

(274)

Date of registration

Monday, April 1st 2013, 8:31pm

Just wait until he goes away then :P

Good luck with the support, I am sure they will ask you to do loads of retarded things and as lots of stupid questions.

Aenonar

Data Analyzer

(2,795)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, April 1st 2013, 8:45pm

Just wait until he goes away then :P

Good luck with the support, I am sure they will ask you to do loads of retarded things and as lots of stupid questions.

Yep... hate support... :| you never actually get any help from them hence why I just asked here instead.. ;>

Quoted

Octopuss

Rocktopus

(274)

Date of registration

Monday, April 1st 2013, 9:13pm

At least you will have answers to most of their questions ready :P

Date of registration
: Nov 15th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Monday, April 1st 2013, 9:19pm

lol

when I had my laptop power issue, I asked support of nvidia, intel, and msi, none of them had a clue...

After some time I realized the CPU was clocking weirdly, and it was happening worse with higher power loads. When I googled the power issue I got a huge flood of forum issues and some obscure driver which fixed it...

Just wait around, hang tight.
Finesse

You do not have it.

Sleeper case...

[email protected]
Noctua NH-U14s

Asus Z97-I plus
2x8GB DDR3-1866

eVGA GTX 670 blower, can't remember what edition
Assortment of HDDs and SSDs
Silverstone SFX 600w