Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Forger21

for all your voodoo needs

(512)

Date of registration
: Jul 2nd 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Wednesday, August 8th 2012, 7:04am

Asus VG236H 23" 2ms(GTG) 1920x1080 Full HD HDMI LCD 120Hz 3D $329.99 counting rebate
BenQ XL2420T Black-Red 24" 5ms (2ms GTG) HDMI 120Hz 3D-Ready LCD Monitor $391

I see that Brock 5amson already posted a link to a great gaming pc building forum thread, but since you're looking at 120hz monitors, let me quote one of the regular posters on the forum thread I used when I was building my computer:

Quoted

120hz choices are easy. If colors are super important to you and you like gloss screens, Samsung S23A700/750/950D is the right choice. The difference in the model's is the stand and how they receive the 120hz signal. 700D = worst stand, dual link DVI. 750D = okay stand, displayport. 950D = fancy stand, both dual link and displayport.

If amazing performance, input lag, and a matte screen with decent colors is your thing, then the BenQ XL2420T is the right option.
Here's the page with the quote(post #16095):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455869&page=322
Here's the opening post, it has links to some useful resources for building a pc the first time:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455869

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Forger21" (Aug 8th 2012, 7:10am)

rainkloud

jet proximity scan <3

(611)

Date of registration
: Apr 13th 2012

Battlelog:

Wednesday, August 8th 2012, 7:27am

The I5 2500k is a superior CPU for overclocking. And Bf3 is all about clock cycles. Do not try to play the game on all ultra an multiplayer if your goal is to be semi competitive (do as you will in SP) Instead go with High textures and everything else on low with the exception of Post Process on Medium. This will ensure a steady 60 fps with near zero drops. If you don't intend to OC by getting a high performance fan then the Ivy Bridge is fine but the I5 will OC better (Easy to get to 4.8ghz and many can do a stable 5ghz)

Edit: I glanced and saw people mention 120hz monitors. Excellent investment IF you are going to overclock. Otherwise you will take severe hits on Karkand maps especially, that will negate the benefits of 120hz/fps. I have the Samsung model mentioned above 23 inch 950d and can attest to its quality although the Benq is a good buy as well.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "rainkloud" (Aug 8th 2012, 7:32am)

• "sherlockwing" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jul 10th 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Wednesday, August 8th 2012, 7:33am

A phantom 410 might be too small. Since you are paying that much. Spring for a full size one.
Is it really too small?
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mana…410,3203-5.html

That's from Tom's hardware.com's review under this setting:
Test System Configuration
CPUIntel Core i7-3960X (Sandy Bridge-E): 3.30 GHz, Six Cores O/C to 4.25 GHz (34 x 125 MHz) at 1.40 V Core
CPU CoolerCoolink Corator DS 120 mm Tower
MotherboardAsus P9X79 WS: LGA 2011, Intel X79 Express, Firmware 0603 (11-11-2011)O/C at 125 MHz BCLK
RAM G.Skill F3-17600CL9Q-16GBXLD 16 GB (4 x 4 GB) DDR3-2200Benchmarked at DDR3-1600 CAS 9 defaults
GraphicsNvidia GeForce GTX 580: 772 MHz GPU, GDDR5-4008
Maximum Fan for Thermal Tests, SLI
Hard DrivesSamsung 470 Series MZ5PA256HMDR, 256 GB SSD
SoundIntegrated HD AudioNetworkIntegrated Gigabit Networking
PowerSeasonic X760 SS-760KM
ATX12V v2.3, EPS12V, 80 PLUS Gold
SoftwareOSMicrosoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
GraphicsNvidia GeForce 296.10 WHQL ChipsetIntel INF 9.2.3.1020

Which is a lot more powerful GPU/larger CPU Cooler/larger PSU and not only did 410 look fine with enough space for Airflow, it actually had the best Temperature/Noise Level

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mana…410,3203-8.html

I think as long as the Case cool fines and keep noise under control I don't really need to pay for a $180-$200+ Full Tower when I can get a $100 Mid Tower. Although I might expand in the future it is more about replacing old part with new part, therefore I don't need all the extra space for Triple SLI or 3 3TB HDD.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "sherlockwing" (Aug 8th 2012, 7:39am)

elementofprgress

Wizard moderator

(3,544)

Date of registration
: Jun 28th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Wednesday, August 8th 2012, 8:57am

From what I see your gonna be more then good. I'd check out some audio stuff. BF3 puts out some really nice 5.1 audio. I highly recommend a 5.1 speaker setup or a really nice set of 5.1 headphones.

On board auto can be hit or miss. Sound cards definitely provide Superior sound, but depending on your audio solution it may or may not make a difference.

Symthic Forum Rules
Battlefield Data Browser
Come join us on teamspeak!!!
Symthic/Team Symthic Teamspeak: TeamSym.Nitrado.net

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Wednesday, August 8th 2012, 9:20am

Looks good so far.

The I5 2500k is a superior CPU for overclocking. And Bf3 is all about clock cycles. Do not try to play the game on all ultra an multiplayer if your goal is to be semi competitive (do as you will in SP) Instead go with High textures and everything else on low with the exception of Post Process on Medium. This will ensure a steady 60 fps with near zero drops. If you don't intend to OC by getting a high performance fan then the Ivy Bridge is fine but the I5 will OC better (Easy to get to 4.8ghz and many can do a stable 5ghz)

Edit: I glanced and saw people mention 120hz monitors. Excellent investment IF you are going to overclock. Otherwise you will take severe hits on Karkand maps especially, that will negate the benefits of 120hz/fps. I have the Samsung model mentioned above 23 inch 950d and can attest to its quality although the Benq is a good buy as well.
Maybe it's just me not being a lucky i5/i7 owner, but I didn't see much performance increase from going from 3 GHz to 3.6 GHz on my Athlon II x4 640. And textures can easily be kept at ultra, and mesh quality should be at high or ultra. And what do you mean by postprocess? The FXAA?

And is there something performance-intensive on the Back to Karkand maps? I played on Sharqi yesterday and noticed I dropped to ~30 fps sometimes... Damn it was hard to play with such FPS, I feel bad for console players who are locked to 30 FPS max :S

Riesig

Random Signature Generator

(814)

Date of registration
: Mar 8th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 16

Wednesday, August 8th 2012, 9:56am

Ghz aren't a linear measurement of how good a CPU is.

A 3.6Ghz Athlon II is inferior to a 3.3Ghz i5 2500, on processing power alone. But on a gaming point of view, an Athlon is capable of running JUST ONE CPU hungry application.
It can't multi-task as well as the newer generation of processors.
I'm a tsundere tentacle

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Wednesday, August 8th 2012, 9:58am

Ghz aren't a linear measurement of how good a CPU is.
Oh really? I was just pointing out that I didn't get much of a performance increase in BF3 from going from 3 to 3.6 GHz.

Riesig

(814)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, August 8th 2012, 9:59am

Definitely.

BF3 is still a GPU intensive program. Like with most games.
I'm a tsundere tentacle

rainkloud

jet proximity scan <3

(611)

Date of registration
: Apr 13th 2012

Battlelog:

Wednesday, August 8th 2012, 3:03pm

Definitely.

BF3 is still a GPU intensive program. Like with most games.
Sadly this is an all too common misperception about a lot of games. Nvidia and ATI love when you say that too. Unfortunately the truth is that Bf3 is bottled by CPU rather than GPU. The GPU mainly benefits all the graphic effects stuff. AA, ultra settings etc. However in multiplayer its all the calculations from 64 players plus the geometry of all the destructible stuff that kills your frames via cpu. Should you doubt this you can take the Sharqi TV tower test: Climb to the roof and look out at the playing field. Type render.drawfps 1 and then render.drawperfoverlayvisible 1 into console (`) Look around until you find the point at which your fps consistently drops to the lowest. You'll notice that you happen to have a lot of destructible buildings in view and that your CPU will be stressing on the perf overlay.

You can also see drastic increases/decreases by playing with the Mesh settings. This effects draw distance and mesh complexity. On Karkand maps you will see a drastic difference in fps from low to ultra. ( I said earlier to drop the Mesh to low but medium is actually better since your draw distance is maxed at medium. any further increase just effects the details and draw distance of buildings but at the cost of huge fps) As far as ghz goes, Riesig is right when he says the its not a good indicator but only when comparing different architectures (amd vs intel) When comparing within Intel chips there is a huge difference between a chip at 3ghz and one at 5. Remember that we don't care about average fps but rather minimums (how far it dips) and to test this you can go to Sharqi tower and look at the fps you get with a 3ghz vs a 5ghz. Difference is very significant.

Of interest as well is the perfoverlay graph. One yellow line and one green. Yellow is cpu and Green Gpu. Whatever line is higher is the one that's bottlenecking your system. A good rule to remember is that clock cycles do the work. So if you have a choice between a better graphics card or CPU always take the CPU. I run SLI 680's and the benefit you get from adding that card is significant but its only about 20-25% more and not 100% like logic would dictate. Now if I want to run around with everything on ultra they certainly help but then you're introducing all this extras that just confuse the scene even more which is not desirable in an multiplayer fps.

@Santewi Yeah Post is FXAA. Textures at ultra is fine but then you're losing frames for a very small benefit in pic quality over high. Only a few frames but every one counts so I would stick with high. Mesh on high/ultra is a big big no no. Huge hit in fps especially on karkand maps. No tangible benefits as draw distance for enemies is maxed at medium. The only thing that changes is details on units/buildings and building draw distance.

Riesig

(814)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, August 8th 2012, 3:16pm

My life is a lieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
http://www.techspot.com/review/458-battl…ance/page7.html

Yeah, their methodology is Single Player's Go Hunting sequence so your point about multiplayer is valid.
I'm a tsundere tentacle