Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

TheLB95

Railgun Engineer

(871)

• "TheLB95" started this thread

Date of registration
: May 5th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Friday, July 6th 2012, 10:09pm

Anyone know where to learn code?

So I've dabbled with the idea of eventually making my own game for a while now, problem is, I can't code for shit. Basic Java and a tiny bit of C# and that's about as far as my knowledge goes. Even then I can only really read it and assume what it does.

Does anyone here know where I might be able to learn code for myself? I'm currently in school (A levels in September) so a course is out of the option and the internet is a wonderful thing, but the problem is it's so clogged up with shit looking for things is annoying as hell. And believe me, I've tried to find a decent guide.

I'd like to code in C++ but I understand that C would be the best place to start then move up through the languages.

So, anyone have any advice/help?

PC master race!

CPU; Intel i7 2600K @4.3GHz
CPU Cooler; Corsair H60 cooler
Memory; 12GB 1866MHz Corsair RAM
GPU; ASUS GTX 670 (slightly OC'd)
Mobo; ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
Storage; 240GB Corsair Force 3 SSD + Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD (7200RPM)
PSU; Cooler Master GX 650 Bronze

Athemoe

(1,417)

Date of registration
: Jul 6th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 16

Friday, July 6th 2012, 10:22pm

I've been coding for 2 years now and believe me, making games is hard, even for me. The best I can do is a basic version of Space Invaders. Just try the basics and start making small apps, like number + number = answer. Or swap text boxes when you try to click it. Then move on to nests and system.random. Coding is hard, you can't learn it in one day. Also, c+ + isn't easy to start with. Try vb.net. It's way easier to understand its logic.

Contortrix

Professional Ninja

(507)

Date of registration
: May 27th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Friday, July 6th 2012, 10:26pm

Actually, at university they start you off with Java, then have you read books about everything else.
In school we did Turbo Pascal to get into how linear programming works for half a year, then we did 2 years java.

Java, as far as my understanding goes, is easy to learn and teaches you all the things you need to know about object oriented coding.
I had that one guy in my class, who was basically a script kiddie and hanging out in hacker forums and he always wanted the teacher to teach us C++. The teacher thought that was a pretty bad idea. Like "Don't even get me started."

Thing is, what language to start with and what languages are good in general, depends largely on whom you are asking.
And I don't think starting with C is an especially good idea, but I am really no authority.

Date of registration
: Dec 28th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Friday, July 6th 2012, 10:38pm

I've been on/off developer for 10 years, C+ is a good way to go, but you first need to figure out what you want to be doing end game. Just cause you can progam ABC, you still need to deal with graphics, sound, animation, AI, it goes on for awhile.

Most Devs just go out and get themselves a SDK/Engine to base their games on. Some engines are more key to what genre your aiming for. The bigger and richer devs companies have the man power to take something like Unreal Engine, and turn it to RTS/Space Opera ect.

There are of course engines out there that require almost zero knowledge of coding, because most of the code is pre-developed by the open source community behind the engine. Theres a few that come to mind but I can't remember their name at all LOL, sad I know.

Best thing you could do is just go out and buy a beginners guide to C+/Flash/vB and go from there. College courses can refine what you learned from the books. There is of course tons of online resources to broaden your mind. The best site I can offer is the goon SA forums for programming. - http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdi…php?forumid=202 total gold mine btw, it may take you years to want to even make a comment or make a thread LOL.

But honestly, figure out what you want to be doing with said knowledge firsthand, if you want to do programming and working for a company than its worthwhile. If you're thinking of doing small indie stuff, than just keep it a hobby and work on a field of study that makes you money first lol.

Date of registration
: Apr 26th 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Friday, July 6th 2012, 10:40pm

I disagree with the suggestion of VB.NET. Yeah its easy, but its just not very good if you plan to move on to C/C++ later.

Delphi is much better, and just as easy, and also doesn't require a huge framework to run simple code like VB.NET does.

I really hate the [ quote ] system on this forum.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, July 6th 2012, 10:49pm

That's why the guy needs to figure out what he wants to do first. The point I want to say is each language is used for different things. That's what I should of said in my earlier comment and not just start spewing out all the different languages they have these days.

-Edit, not to start contradicting myself, but saturation of different languages is a good idea. I know from firsthand experience I hate working with java anything, Honestly though... It's easy as hell to say I want to make games, but have no coding knowledge HELP!, and than have the community try to make pointers out... this has been done well over millions of times lol already lol on thousands of forums, chat rooms ect. lol.

Main problem though, since you asked in a public forum of people who mostly just game, and not actually make their bread & butter to eat with coding will usually tell you to use A,C,B,D to do stuff. It's easier to find an actual gaming community that makes games, and exactly what kind of stuff you want to be working on, and get pointers from them.

Cause yea, you could go the route with C+ first (I did at first) Than I did heavy heavy java(made a lot of scripts for companies for their sites)Than flash(started making full flash sites, than learned you could make some sick ass games too). Like I said before each language normally has a main use for something, and most of the time its not gaming, but it gives you a good idea of what is what.

But I for one need more info than just "I want to make X please help me figure it out". Cause I am technical person brah.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Brock 5amson" (Jul 6th 2012, 11:01pm)

Date of registration
: Apr 26th 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Friday, July 6th 2012, 11:08pm

If you're hoping to move to C/C++ one day, Delphi is the perfect stepping stone. That's all I was saying.

I really hate the [ quote ] system on this forum.

TheLB95

Railgun Engineer

(871)

• "TheLB95" started this thread

Date of registration
: May 5th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Saturday, July 7th 2012, 12:01am

Thanks for the responses, truth be told I wasn't expecting any lmao.

I know that I'm not going to go straight out and instantly go coding in C++ by reading one book, and I'll look into the progression.

PC master race!

CPU; Intel i7 2600K @4.3GHz
CPU Cooler; Corsair H60 cooler
Memory; 12GB 1866MHz Corsair RAM
GPU; ASUS GTX 670 (slightly OC'd)
Mobo; ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
Storage; 240GB Corsair Force 3 SSD + Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD (7200RPM)
PSU; Cooler Master GX 650 Bronze

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

Date of registration
: Jan 7th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Saturday, July 7th 2012, 6:34am

I learned to program in Basic and, well, yeah, don't do that.
Emperor Nick of the Cult of Defibrillation
Sith Deity of Thread-Killing

I'm basically just a degenerate weeb who doesn't post much nowadays.

I'm secretly Old Man Symthic

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Words of Wisdom (not really)

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

You're fedorable :love:

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

I have the highest postcount. Nick doesn't count.

Quoted

23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm -
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Okay
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm stabbing everyone
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Bye guys
23:44 Nick: *flips table*
23:44 Legion: Bye, happy stabbing
23:44 *** Lt_Col_Jesus quit (Quit: off to murder the public at large).

Quoted

10:41 LB: You just...reanimated Steve Jobs.
10:41 Dice: Well that would be unfortunate, I was just getting used to him being dead.

Quoted from "Pheozero"

... fuck. Damn you hindsight!

Quoted

23:58 Failure117: CAUSE IM FREEE
23:58 Nick: AS A BIIIIRD NOW
23:58 Failure117: FREEE OF NICK'S WORM RAPE

Quoted

ViperFTW: HEY LOOK
ViperFTW: AN ALIEN LASER FISH THE SIZE OF THE SUN
ViperFTW: I WANT TO SWAT IT WITH MY COMICLY LARGE SWORD
ViperFTW: WITH
ViperFTW: THIS
ViperFTW: AS
ViperFTW: MY
ViperFTW: FUUUUCKING SOUNDTRACK :DDDD
(the album in question)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, July 7th 2012, 7:16am

I learned to program in Basic and, well, yeah, don't do that.

LOL least it wasn't HTML! Oh snap!