Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "Iwo_Jima" started this thread

Date of registration
: Mar 25th 2014

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Monday, August 13th 2018, 1:51pm

Perhaps a superfluous question: why isnt symthic doing stats on PUBG?

Looking at the popularity and percieved big competitive scene of PUBG, I wondered... wouldn't there a big demand for weapon statistics with PUBG players and, isnt Symthic one of THE places to pop up in mind when thinking about that?
RIP Sraw

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,661)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Reputation modifier: 17

Monday, August 13th 2018, 7:32pm

I did look into this back when PUBG was released, but my interest faded especially when other sites (back then pubg.me) provided exactly this. Nowadays other sites like this one provide up-to-date info in convenient form.

On top of this I'd rather not take any more games "under my wing" when it comes to updating webpages: There was enough doing with SWBF and BF games at the time, and my time for Symthic has been decreasing all the time :( .

But, while we are on this topic, I wonder if there would be need for general "one-stop site" for such info on FPS games? An open framework where people can submit their data-minings and then, after some reviewing, would be published on some site. Symthic in its current form is way too closed for this.
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

BeefVellington

The Real Yugas

(282)

Date of registration
: Feb 15th 2017

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 4

Tuesday, August 14th 2018, 6:49am

But, while we are on this topic, I wonder if there would be need for general "one-stop site" for such info on FPS games? An open framework where people can submit their data-minings and then, after some reviewing, would be published on some site. Symthic in its current form is way too closed for this.

That's a great idea. It'd be a fantastic way to get Symthic back in the spotlight. I also really want to see Rainbow Six Siege get a legit stats page and crowdsourcing seems like a good way to accomplish this.

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,305)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 16

Tuesday, August 14th 2018, 3:44pm

I would prefer one site for every game because symthic offers more than just the numbers but also insights, interpretations and opinions based on them in a controllably small environment. If it was for half a dozen games that are actually played the community would also increase by at least that amount.

I think such a site would soon attract such a large crowd, if it is more than the bare numbers, that it would be indistinguishable from sites like reddit, or the appropriate game forums. And I think symthic is worth more than that.

As far as PUBG goes, I dare say the ship has pretty much sailed. You would need dedicated people playing the game to either test the stuff by hand, extract it from the game files, or collect the data from other sources already available, which is quite the work. I think with the many variables in PUBG the raw numbers in the current style would not be totally relevant. There are just too many things to consider in the gunplay of PUBG.

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,661)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Reputation modifier: 17

Tuesday, August 14th 2018, 5:44pm

@VincentNZ

This is why I wanted to discuss about this before even planning to do anything bigger. Valid points there!

Just to confirm I understood you correctly: Symthic should stay small-ish site to avoid being clustered like Reddit or Battlelog, completely focused on the "game science" part with support for "stats" for specific game?

I too would like to keep community like that, and I agree being too big could be bad. There seems to be groups like this under other game/genres as well, but in this form (forum posts) all this info gets buried way too easily and deserve more attention. Stuff like 3VN's tickrate analysis shouldn't be find-able only with very specific googling! It should still contain comments, because people could be getting things wrong (e.g. first vehicle stats on Symthic).

At the same time I'd like to support Symthic-like sites as well: People seem to be doing somewhat redundant work by creating/hosting separate sites, and each of them (?) doing their own extraction scripts for the data they want. Many sites are ran with monetization of sorts (ads), including Symthic, which may cause this behaviour of not sharing creations openly. I wish we had open-source alternative to this so people wouldn't have to start from scratch each time they want to "make stats" for a game.

Maybe one day game devs are allowed to share info like this openly in their games, making all this obsolete ^^
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,305)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 16

Wednesday, August 15th 2018, 12:52am

Yeah, I want it to stay small, because I like the numbers here that provide a solid foundation for discussions but are still open to interpretation and opinions. Like debating whether negative spread is a solid idea or not. With a larger community the numbers might be pushed in the background, because some people might be half-informed or not at all, and most of the time is spent educating people on the issue.
I mean on battlelog people generally grasp the rough idea of stats for a BF game, but important details might be missed, that is why people often talk past each other, which is rarer here. And symthic is small enough so that everybody knows the general opinion of others, like I know who would agree with me when saying that suppression mechanics are generally a good thing.

But of course, if something like symthic would work on a large scale, I would love it, as people work and post close to scientific here and that deserves more exposure. Discussions here are also usually very valid, even if they become heated. I think the points created here are very valid because they stem from good general knowledge.

In any case, regardless of how this site will work in the future I am very glad it existed when I got interested in the game stats in 2012. Stuff like this is very important and I would asssume the traffic on this site is bigger than one would expect.