Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Date of registration
: Jun 23rd 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Tuesday, July 31st 2018, 3:07am

So I thought it'd be nice to see if we could reignite this thread, now that the Spring season is over and Summer's starting to roll out.

I've started another binge today, let's see how many shows I'll end up devouring this time. Planned is Darling in the FranXX (gonna restart the dub from ep 1, hadn't watched past ep 10 so far), finishing Violet Evergarden and Citrus (currently watching). After those I might consider Made in Abyss, despite it not being dubbed, and maybe Shinsekai Yori. Or perhaps I'll end up going for something not currently on my radar or buried deep in my list.

Citrus is so far pretty ok, although I do feel that it is not using some of the topics it touches on to full effect. It may end up relying too much on its shoujo-ai novelty factor and it could explore much more interesting topics than going from one bout of jealousy to the next. While I'm so far okay with *how* the recurring theme of sexual overreach or even assault is displayed, I would have appreciated a more consequent approach to tackling this topic. I fear it might end up being merely controversial for publicity's sake.

What's everyone else doing in regards to anime this year? Be light on spoilers, please.
Zormau - Battlelog / Battlefield 4

Memorable quotes not taken yet:

Of course, this ignores the non-constant cross-sectional first moment of area across the chest as well as non-constant material properties of the boob; it would be difficult to perform a more detailed analysis (as in, I'd have to have a shape function AND I'd need to derive a function for elastic modulus as a function of lateral breast coordinate) but whatever. It's 2am and I'm lazy.

I always believed science should be very hands on experience.

You should also answer this question I had posed in that thread: Would you be willing to pay your surgeon more if he was going to use a chainsaw for the opening incision of surgery? Clearly using a chainsaw isn't truly suited for surgery but that doesn't really matter. If he's "skilled" enough to be able to use the wrong tools of the trade, he should be rewarded for that skill right?

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(10,148)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Tuesday, July 31st 2018, 3:26am

Waiting for Shieldbro anime news and hoping Daisuke Namikawa gets lead role.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

"Skill" may indeed be the most magical of words. Chant it well enough and any desire can be yours.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Oscar

Sona tank jungle

(1,948)

Date of registration
: May 30th 2012

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Tuesday, July 31st 2018, 5:58am

I watched Legend of the Galactic Heroes in its entirety.

Well, not Gaiden and the movies, but still the same.

I've not picked up any summer seasonal show and I'm only continuing S;G0 from spring. That about sums it up.
Bro of Legion, the lurker ninja mod | Tesla FTW | RNG is evil.

Quoted from "MsMuchLove"

I find majority of the complaints I hear about this game somehow never appear in my games.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, July 31st 2018, 3:29pm

S;G0 from spring

Oh yeah, I'd totally forgotten about that one. Definitely gonna find time for it as well.

Also probably gonna rewatch the Ancient Magus' Bride, I stopped at ep. 21 or so last time to wait for the dub to finish. It was doing extremely well, and I largely liked what I'd heard of the dub. Josh Grelle delivers a fantastic antagonist and Dani Chambers really does Chise's role justice, but Austin Tindle's Ulysse/Ruth was so far unexpectedly bland.

Finished Citrus just now. Unfortunately the dominant impression I now have of it is one of disappointment.
It wasn't *bad*, but it got completely tied up in a loop of jealousy-triangle drama which the show managed to repeat THREE TIMES in only twelve episodes, with unnecessary new characters thrown into the mix every time. It had the potential to shatter the traditional romance anime mold, and at certain points came refreshingly close to being bold. Unfortunately the only things one could potentially consider "bold" about the show in the end is the focus on a same-sex relationship (which you really can't in today's anime and manga world) and the (pseudo-)incest (step-)sibling thing which have both been a thing in popular anime and manga culture for a long time now. I mean Angel Sanctuary had an actual incest romance in the 90s and I remember that one being *quite* popular at the time.
It repeatedly included themes of discovering budding sexuality, problems of sexual misconduct and assault, illicit relationships between adults and minors and cyberbullying, yet it never really did anything with those topics and reduced them to mere sidenotes in the story. And this comes from someone who defends the portrayal of Oberon's behaviour at the end of SAO's first season. That one at least made for a satisfying payoff at the end.

Spoiler Spoiler

I had such high hopes after the first episode that we might get to explore Mei's aberrant sexual behaviour... I mean we see her relaying a kiss someone forced upon her to Yuzu in exactly the same manner, which raises very interesting questions about her past: dysfunctional sexual behaviour is often the result of traumatic experiences in this area of life, and I was very much looking forward to getting into Mei's past, finding out what damaged her and eventually starting to mend it. If SAO can tackle PTSD, then surely a romance anime could as well...

As it stands it's a disappointingly average romance anime with interesting topical allusions that are regrettably used poorly. If there's a second season eventually (source material is still ongoing) we may see that change, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

On to different shows!

Of course, this ignores the non-constant cross-sectional first moment of area across the chest as well as non-constant material properties of the boob; it would be difficult to perform a more detailed analysis (as in, I'd have to have a shape function AND I'd need to derive a function for elastic modulus as a function of lateral breast coordinate) but whatever. It's 2am and I'm lazy.

You should also answer this question I had posed in that thread: Would you be willing to pay your surgeon more if he was going to use a chainsaw for the opening incision of surgery? Clearly using a chainsaw isn't truly suited for surgery but that doesn't really matter. If he's "skilled" enough to be able to use the wrong tools of the trade, he should be rewarded for that skill right?

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(10,148)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Tuesday, July 31st 2018, 9:50pm

?????4??????????2018????????? ?????????????? | GUNDAM.INFO

New IBO Projects. Plural apparently.

Hyped for this and Shieldbro.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

"Skill" may indeed be the most magical of words. Chant it well enough and any desire can be yours.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, July 31st 2018, 10:57pm

Gundam kinda has the same problem as Legend of the Galactic Heroes - they're massive works which makes them hard to access.

Just watched the Psycho Pass movie (dubbed). It's so nice not to be disappointed. Good movie, great franchise. Love the psycho-social thought experiment it's running, I mean it's like both a dystopia and a utopia at the same time.
Pacing, story, visuals, action scenes, really nice overall package.

Also makes me hot for Cyberpunk 2077

On to different things! Hopefully of similar greatness!

Edit:
Watched Shinsekai Yori - bloody fantastic. Not a spectacular show in terms of visuals, but with a consistent and good aesthetic. Great characters, great soundtrack (should have used more from the New World Symphony than just the second movement tho), great story. There's a distinct lack of plot armor, which is part of the reason why I very often found myself completely unable to predict what would happen next. The final arc wasn't the strongest, but overall it ended better and more satisfying than most.

Which brings me to the other show I watched the last few days... or more like within the last 25 hours:

Darling in the FranXX.

Oh I had loved the first ten episodes earlier this year and decided to wait for the dub to finish so I could binge it. The final episodes of the "first half" were really great as well, and up to a certain point I had hopes that this might be my new number 1 faviourite anime.

I was not prepared for that certian point. I had read comments and seen video titles complaining about an annoying plot twist, but really, I was not prepared for VIRM (no, the name is not a spoiler as you will not know what it is before it appears). After that my enjoyment took a complete nosedive. The "grounded" story still remained very enjoyable and interesting, but the VIRM story was utter bullshit. I won't go into more detail, because I'd still recommend it as the first 19 episodes made for one of the most enjoyable anime experiences I'd had, but hell am I mad at whoever came up with that bullshit plot twist.
Sadly, while I can't understate how incredibly much I enjoyed it through episode 19, this is kinda how I feel right now:

Now... on to less frustrating things I hope.

This post has been edited 5 times, last edit by "Zormau" (Aug 4th 2018, 1:04am)

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

Date of registration
: Jan 7th 2012

Battlelog:

Tuesday, August 7th 2018, 8:37am

D4C or King Crimson--which is the more OP stand?
Emperor Nick of the Cult of Defibrillation
Sith Deity of Thread-Killing

I'm basically just a degenerate weeb who doesn't post much nowadays.

I'm secretly Old Man Symthic

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Words of Wisdom (not really)

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

You're fedorable :love:

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

I have the highest postcount. Nick doesn't count.

Quoted

23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm -
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Okay
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm stabbing everyone
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Bye guys
23:44 Nick: *flips table*
23:44 Legion: Bye, happy stabbing
23:44 *** Lt_Col_Jesus quit (Quit: off to murder the public at large).

Quoted

10:41 LB: You just...reanimated Steve Jobs.
10:41 Dice: Well that would be unfortunate, I was just getting used to him being dead.

Quoted from "Pheozero"

... fuck. Damn you hindsight!

Quoted

23:58 Failure117: CAUSE IM FREEE
23:58 Nick: AS A BIIIIRD NOW
23:58 Failure117: FREEE OF NICK'S WORM RAPE

Quoted

ViperFTW: HEY LOOK
ViperFTW: AN ALIEN LASER FISH THE SIZE OF THE SUN
ViperFTW: I WANT TO SWAT IT WITH MY COMICLY LARGE SWORD
ViperFTW: WITH
ViperFTW: THIS
ViperFTW: AS
ViperFTW: MY
ViperFTW: FUUUUCKING SOUNDTRACK :DDDD
(the album in question)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Thursday, August 9th 2018, 1:34am

I never took an interest in Jojo's... sorry.

I've been watching Log Horizon the last few days. Currently in the middle of season 2, good fun. I like politics in a show if they're not the only focus (e.g. Spice and Wolf, Black Lagoon's Japan arc) and the MMO-aspects and mechanics get me giddy quite often. Battle for Azeroth hype. Looks like I'll be maining my rogue for the time being.

Also took the time to watch My little Monster/Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun today. Quite unusual as romantic comedy goes if you ask me, and not just because both parties of the designated couple have confessed to another by episode 2.
The characters were quite interesting to me. Not only would I say that our female lead is quite unusual in her razor focus on academic success and career, her cold attitude seems quite natural as well. The male lead on the other hand is really awkward. Mostly oblivious to the inappropriateness of his violence, driven by urges and sometimes severely lacking selfcontrol, often tone deaf, yet always truthful and sincere. It does appear that he is somehow delayed in his emotional development. I do believe he has an autistic streak, and I don't mean that as an insult to the character, but rather as praise for the author for doing it *right*. It would explain a lot of his character quirks that just don't really work without some form of mental disorder.
While the comedy side of the show never really got more than a chuckle out of me (it just wasn't all that funny), the sincere attitude of the characters and especially their openness towards themselves and another when talking about their feelings really sets this show apart from many other romcoms. This time it's not the characters being stupid and lying to themselves and others about their feelings that creates the drama, but them being actually complicated persons with issues and divergent goals and values.
Oh and it also looks pretty damn gorgeous, loved the character designs.

Watcher-45

He's watching...

(758)

Date of registration
: May 5th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Friday, September 28th 2018, 1:23pm

Anyone watch "Made in Abyss"?

The big draw, of course, is the juxtaposition of the art style and the story content, but I did find the environment/lore quite interesting, the characters quite likeable, and the story rather interesting. The pace and sensation of time can be a little hard to follow sometimes, but interestingly enough they have a bit of a lore friendly way of explaining that away, almost like the Dark Souls "time is convoluted" thing but not as, I guess, important to understand, though the ramifications of which may become more important later on.

If you haven't looked into it, the best way to describe how they use the visual design to their advantage is to imagine Berzerk made with the art style of Fairy Tail, replace Guts with Lucy, but keep the same story, events, timeline, and lore.
Made in Abyss uses a lot of cute and loveable characters and does these horrible and twisted things to them, and in that way it makes quite a spectacle. At first you think the character design is to relieve the viewer of the harshness of the environment, and while in some cases it does the reality is it's primarily to make the environment even more terrible. And it works, quite efficiently.

The story is simple; a girl adventurer needs to find her mother, and in doing so must traverse a fantastical cursed lanscape and avoid the dangerous creatures and natural hazards.
It's the characters and the nature of the world around them that really makes the experience, however, and I think it's definitely worth the watch.

Supposedly a second season is in the works.
All bike, all the time!

Spoiler Spoiler

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, September 28th 2018, 6:52pm

Oh yes, MiA has been on my list since last year, and I would have watched it this summer had I not learned that it'll get a dubbed release by Sentai less than a month from now. I'm certainly gonna watch it when it's released in dub. I have avoided reviews and commentary on it for the most part, only things I know is that it's apparently pretty dark and grim in several places, juxtaposed with its gorgeous background art and juvenile characters. I intend to keep it that way until I watched it, so I'll not read comments made on it :D

Same with Princess Principal, that was allegedly pretty great, and its dub was released a few days ago. Short list entry.

Edit: So yeah, Princess Principal IS bloody amazing after all.
Lies upon lies, schemes, counter-schemes and counter-counter-schemes, entangled factions and conflicts of interest, a compelling world, interesting, well-written badass characters, lots and lots of attention to detail (which allows those with a keen eye to foresee certain events and feel smart about it). The penultimate episode actually had me confused (in a good way) with regards to who was playing whom in the arrangement of plots.
Looking very much forward to the six part movie series next year (or maybe the year after, if they announce that they will be dubbed).

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Zormau" (Oct 3rd 2018, 1:57am)