Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Date of registration
: Jun 23rd 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Thursday, December 7th 2017, 3:54pm

Weeeell having concluded it (I mean it's like less than two and a half hours) I can't say I was that thrilled. Sure, some scenes were great, but it wasn't quite what I had hoped for.

It's good that the show exists as it does, but I would like to see something that spends less time going around in circles and allows for some gravitas. Like it said in the short synopsis I found, it's mostly about teenagers being unable to *start* a relationship, and only some parts were really about intimacy *in* a relationship (Gda and Kamine, Chiaki and Kana to an extent, Akagi and Ryko in a way). I would have liked some more of that, with a little more tact instead of wacky humour here and there.

On that note I realized again how the choice of soundtrack can make or break a scene in that regard. The scene from Nazo no Kanojo X I mentioned earlier appealed to me because it took its perviness and perceived transgression seriously, and did not make light of it. Putting in generic rom-com "comedy" music would have flipped the scene on its head and ruined its impact. Serious topics sometimes need to be taken seriously, they can't always just be part of a joke.

On another note: My wife caught a glimpse of Death Parade on my screen yesterday and thought it was extremely good-looking. She'll be watching it soon, I think. I also know that she likes anime where the (main) characters get to suffer... a lot. Considering how the last two episodes hit me she should love it.
Zormau - Battlelog / Battlefield 4

Memorable quotes not taken yet:

Of course, this ignores the non-constant cross-sectional first moment of area across the chest as well as non-constant material properties of the boob; it would be difficult to perform a more detailed analysis (as in, I'd have to have a shape function AND I'd need to derive a function for elastic modulus as a function of lateral breast coordinate) but whatever. It's 2am and I'm lazy.

I always believed science should be very hands on experience.

You should also answer this question I had posed in that thread: Would you be willing to pay your surgeon more if he was going to use a chainsaw for the opening incision of surgery? Clearly using a chainsaw isn't truly suited for surgery but that doesn't really matter. If he's "skilled" enough to be able to use the wrong tools of the trade, he should be rewarded for that skill right?

Date of registration
: Feb 25th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Thursday, December 7th 2017, 8:49pm

" I also know that she likes anime where the (main) characters get to suffer... a lot"

oh yeah, she'll love death parade then, but after this line you must make her watch or read houseki no kuni, i mean, i know it's a spoiler, but after a ceratin point that series pretty much sustains itelf only on the protagonist's suffering and it does it pretty fucking well(i mean, it is one of my favorite series ever after all, and certainly not by chance)
also the anime it's cg, but it's one of the best CGs of the last... well, pretty much since CG was implemented in tv serieses.

as for tsurezure... well, can't really say uch else, to be honest i didn't find it that comical, might be because i read most/all the manga chapters and the later ones are almost always serious, but even then, i don't know other serieses like that, unfortunately as i said, i don't watch as much anime as i once did.
"I'm just a loot whore."

stuff mostly unrelated to BF4 that interests nobody

bf4
on 13/05/2016
23rd M320FB user on pc(13/05/16)
rush mode score RANK:2794 TOP:2% OUT OF:215398
obliteration mode scoreRANK:994 TOP:1% OUT OF:159466
handgun medals RANK:2236 TOP:2% OUT OF:143874
longest headshot RANK:9512 TOP:4% OUT OF:257589
recon score RANK:10871 TOP:4% OUT OF:274899
general score per minute RANK:10016 TOP:4% OUT OF:294774

bf3
31/3/2012 4:58:

Headshot distance RANK:493* TOP:0%
Revives per assault minute RANK: 6019 TOP: 3%
Headshots / kill percentage RANK:25947 TOP:13%
MVP ribbons RANK:18824 TOP:11%

*= 6 if we not count the EOD BOT headshots

@kataklism

ARGUMENT DESTROYED 100

ENEMY KILLED [REASON] JSLICE20 100

WRITING SPREE STOPPED 500

link to full-size old avatar:
http://i.imgur.com/4X0321O.gif

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, December 11th 2017, 2:24am

So after I shed the void on Friday that last week's anime binge had left I've resolved to watch some lighter stuff for a bit.

And boy have I gone light. Currently I'm watching Monster Musume, because why the heck not. It's about 120% as ridiculous and stupid as I'd expected, and actually about 75% as fun as I'd hoped overall. Also demonstrates that I'm probably not one for the Harem genre (could have guessed as much), as I actually liked the first episode before they introduced the rest of the girls and it was not 90% catfighting who gets the D. Still, it's a decently short series and it's good for a laugh here and there, so why not.

After that (or when I ditch it) I may finally get around to actually watching Squid Girl, if I can stomach the constant puns. Kudos for the translator, though, pun-riddled texts are a pain to translate.

Mushishi is also on the back burner, a very nice tranquil anime every now and then.

Oh yeah and I kinda want to watch School Days to see what all the fuss is about. If it's just the unusual plot that makes people hate it I might get a kick out of things going horribly wrong.

Of course, this ignores the non-constant cross-sectional first moment of area across the chest as well as non-constant material properties of the boob; it would be difficult to perform a more detailed analysis (as in, I'd have to have a shape function AND I'd need to derive a function for elastic modulus as a function of lateral breast coordinate) but whatever. It's 2am and I'm lazy.

You should also answer this question I had posed in that thread: Would you be willing to pay your surgeon more if he was going to use a chainsaw for the opening incision of surgery? Clearly using a chainsaw isn't truly suited for surgery but that doesn't really matter. If he's "skilled" enough to be able to use the wrong tools of the trade, he should be rewarded for that skill right?

Date of registration
: Dec 18th 2017

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 1

Friday, January 5th 2018, 1:12pm

The second season of Overlord promises to be very interesting :) I'm waiting for the 2nd episode.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, January 5th 2018, 3:22pm

From what I've read and heard about it Overlord seems like a very generic Isekai, maybe like a grittier version of SAO. Aside from being made by Madhouse, does it have anything special going for it?

Speaking of SAO, I finally get to publicly voice my opinion about it without double posting!

I'd gone into it expecting a mildly entertaining show, nothing remarkable or any superlatives.

Holy shit did I not get that. I ended up liking the characters, still can't really see the issues everyone has with them.

There was some aspect that blew me away in each of the four arcs (the Excalibur arc does not exist, just like Matrix is a one-shot movie).

Aincrad Arc: A romantic plotline with likeable characters (highly subjective I know) that went farther than I've basically ever seen in anime. I mean geez it's appalling, but it's somewhat revolutionary to develop a romance beyond holding hands and maybe a first kiss. I mean, look at them, they're adorable. They're allowed tenderness, they're allowed to CUDDLE and offer comfort to each other AS A COUPLE ffs! Never before had I seen such a thing in anime! (which is sad, really) Actually I got what I had wished for in my previous posts from this of all series. I really was not prepared to find such gold in there.
It was nice to see how perspective was used in this plotline. Combat and worldbuilding heavy episodes and everyday occurrences were shown mostly with Kirito as the focalizer, while during the romance-focus towards the end of the first arc that job often fell to Asuna. Sure, the adoption plot point was somewhat silly... oh wait, teenagers in love DO silly stuff.
I also never quite understood why people would say she ever stopped being badass. Yes, presenting her as sort of a prize for the duel was stupid, I very much rolled my eyes when that plot point came about. I also think she should have been the one to deliver the final blow to the would-be-assassin after said duel. Perhaps even ruthlessly.

The ending to this arc was also really well done and lovely. The show could honestly have ended right there and would have been fine. Either after the white-out shot of the game-world (before the wakeup, leaving the outcome unknown) or after the wakeup, where the episode actually ends. I also don't think the seeming "deus-ex-machina" moments in that episode were all that jarring and they are plausible to me.

I'm happy that the show did NOT end there, though. The ALO/Oberon arc had some issues, no doubt. E.g. the utterly pointless sacrifice of Recon, the rather silly duel of Leafa and Kirito (as said, though, teens in love are silly and overly dramatic / edgy).
What it also had was a strong motivation for our main cast and the personally most vile and disgusting villain I've seen, at least in terms of how much I ended up despising them. I found that to be outstandingly well done.
Some criticism could be leveled at the apparent disconnect between the setting and presentation ("It's just a game, there's not even blood flowing, see? Looks just like a child-friendly shounen anime!") and themes of sexual violence as well as the excessive force used to finish the "final boss" (BOY WAS THAT SATISFYING TO WATCH THOUGH!). It's probably a bit of a "Watership Down" problem: innocent-looking outset, turns quite dark later on. It's not afternoon TV material.

The second season I really liked as well, though I would have liked some more Kirito+Asuna relationship development. Mother's Rosario delivered *some* of that, but I would have liked both parties more actively involved in this.
Aside from the Excalibur Arc (WHICH DOES NOT EXIST!) there are far fewer things in here that I would really criticize.

The GGO arc was remarkable to me for its inclusion of two main characters dealing with PTSD (Sinon obviously more strongly and better fleshed out than Kirito), as well as being really appealing visually. Animation was substantially better than in SAO 1 (where the only real standout duel was the one with the Salamander General in ALO), but I would so have loved to have the final fight look more like the DeathGun/Kirito duel scene from the (awesome) opening. Gun kata (Equilibrium <3) combined with swordplay, that would have been nice, but no, the pistol's just for show. I also appreciate very much that even in the end the main characters aren't simply "over" their PTSD. They're not "ok", but that's ok.
One nitpick about this episode would have been that I so would have preferred the police kicking Sinon's door in after she gets jumped instead of Kirito.

[there is not middle arc called Excalibur to SAO II, and if there were it would be completely bland, unremarkable and would have next to no character development at all]

The final arc of the series, Mother's Rosario, was just great, and that's basically all you need to know. It presents a new angle by almost exclusively having Asuna as focalizer, deals quite well with sensitive topics, has strong character development on multiple levels and sides and one of the most bittersweet conclusions I can remember. Animation and art for this arc were also pretty stellar.

SAO: Ordinal Scale - The Movie

Welp. I guess I liked it?

Seriously, the movie is far more difficult for me to love than the series (except that one arc that doesn't exist and which I'm totally not dwelling on).
It starts out well enough, showing promise with the characters being somewhat at odds with one another, has an absolutely fantastic middle but in the end really stretched my suspension of disbelief to its limits. It looked spectacular compared to the already pretty series and had some really nice fights in it. It did a good job of developing the main relationship. Kirito's 180 turn near the end just felt *very* jarring to me, and it could have been great if the supporting cast (including the promising villains) had been fleshed out more.

SAO as a whole did some spectacular things I would never have expected from it and thus landed a very high spot in my hall of fame.

I also tried reading into the light novels, and got very much not far...

- first person narration (please don't...)
- are light novels just shoddily written or are the translators shit?
- I did read the "unofficial" chapter 16.5 written by the original author. The one that details what happens when Kirito gets to "spend the night" with Asuna. HOLY FUCKING HELL THAT WAS TERRIBLE! One of the worst pieces of erotic fiction I've ever read, and boy have I read a lot of it. No respect for the characters, dreadful language choices (srsly, the words "force" and "assault" have NO BUSINESS in describing a romantic intimate moment), "What do you mean, "NO! DON'T!" ? Oh well I'll just ignore that!". Hentai tropes are annoying a.f., m'kay?

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, January 5th 2018, 3:45pm

about first person narration.. what kind of fpn we're talking about here? because maybe i'm remembering wrongly(it was 3 years ago after all) or maybe the italian translation was different, but for example metro 2033's book was pretty fucking good and it (as i said, iirc) used some type of fpn... if anything, writers should use the tools they have properly, rather than completely ignore some tools completely.
"I'm just a loot whore."

bf4
on 13/05/2016

bf3

@kataklism

ARGUMENT DESTROYED 100

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, January 5th 2018, 6:58pm

True, some FPN is good. Metro 2033 was well written, but while I did finish the book it couldn't quite captivate me the way the game did (best 2 I spent on Steam - got 80 hours of entertainment out of replaying the original game). I don't think that it was the narrative perspective's fault, though.

I simply prefer an alternating/limited perspective third person narration as mode of delivery. It makes for a less jarring transition when switching perspectives, and I like reading through multiple focalizers.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, January 5th 2018, 8:24pm

considering you liked the game, yeah, i'd say so, same perspective, completely different narrrative end point(it was extremely jarring going from the book where a single kill was to be treated as an event so important that it would be remembered for pretty much the entire book and then go to the game where first thing you do is get hired as an mercenary)

personally i like where one focuses on just one character, makes the end story feel more... "whole" as in, you were working, antipating the end goal of that character, and you get just that, it's more satisfying imho, even if it doesn't turn out as you expected that's even better i'd say... reading makes you try out new lives, but if you look at the life of everyone, that' like watching something rather than living it... kinda? i was kinda lost in thoug there, so much i ended up writing the entire message and then going back here to change the middle of it a good bunch...
anyway, perhaps that's why i'm loving nier automata, it only changes perspective from a character standpoint, not narrative-wise and thus keeps being whole troughout every playthrough(plus gameplay and movesets change so that it keeps being fresh) while still keeping intact the end narrative of every character and the focus it got during it's playthough, rather than mashing everything into one, and this allows one to... err... don't know the english word for it, heck, don't even know if a translation exists, for the word "immedesimarsi"... anyway, that, with every character one by one and still get a full story out of each one even though the story is kinda less-or-more just one, simply seen from another character perspective.

as for fpn, i'd say that in a book if you start with it unless it is for just one chapter you've gotta keep at it for a the entireti and then only use it for a short on-purpose jarring plot-twist scene(if you want to)
"I'm just a loot whore."

bf4
on 13/05/2016

bf3

@kataklism

ARGUMENT DESTROYED 100

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, January 16th 2018, 5:16pm

I think I haven't mentioned it before: after watching Gosick earlier this "anime watching phase" I finally got around to watch Mirai Nikki a few weeks ago. Loved it for the most part. Darker than I'd actually expected, definitely in a good way.

Loved how they dealt with the "high school" setting trope in the second (?) episode or so: let's just blow up the high school, no more highschool setting plus a good reason why the characters aren't attending. Liked how it dealt with its characters and their relationships. The ending (as in the very last five seconds) was a bit of a headscratcher, and the OVA that explained the ending felt INCREDIBLY rushed - should have been at least twice as long, or focused on the important plot points instead of getting sidetracked for half of its runtime.

Still, very entertaining, good characters, nice plot devices, good amount of twists. Gotta say, however, that I did see the big plot twist regarding Yuno's identity coming from a mile away. I had suspected exactly this from the second episode already.

Also dipped into Devilman Crybaby thanks to my sister-in-law's netflix account, six episodes in. Hyper-violent, hyper-sexualized and kinda hyper-uninteresting to me. I don't really care about the world they built, I don't really care about any of the characters (except two that already *made me* not care anymore), and the story doesn't really do anything for me either. Feels a lot like it's graphic in sex and violence just to be shocking, not because it adds to the story or characters. Don't dig the artstyle either. It looks very much like late 80s/early 90s anime, but unfortunately not timeless, but just dated and old.
I do not feel motivated to finish it. If I do it's just because I've already watched six episodes, so I might as well watch the final four.

Watcher-45

He's watching...

(758)

Date of registration
: May 5th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Tuesday, January 16th 2018, 11:20pm

I guess it's sort of Manga/Anime related, has anyone here played/read "Doki Doki Literature Club"? I'd like to discuss it a bit but I didn't get any response in the Other Games section.

It's a free visual novel on Steam with a twist. Disclaimer: It's a horror wearing the skin of a dating sim. If I say any more I'll spoil the experience, I may have already said too much.
All bike, all the time!

Spoiler Spoiler