Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "KoffeinFlummi" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jan 2nd 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Thursday, April 26th 2012, 10:55pm

Upgrade to GTX580 or wait for GTX680?

I'm putting this in BF3 because this what i need it for. If this doesn't belong here, i'm sure the mods will inform me ;)

Anyway, i'm running a GTX260 right now which can barely run BF3. Now, most of my system has no problems with BF3. Got a decent Quadcore and 4 gigs of RAM (And RAM isn't that big of a problem money-wise).

I want to upgrade, but i'm not sure whether i should get the GTX580 now or wait for the GTX680 to get a little cheaper. The GTX680 is obviously better, but i think that the GTX580 will be able to deal with everything in the next ~2 years, since we probably won't see many graphic sensations in the next time (Crysis 3 is way too rushed).
I don't want to buy something outdated, but money is a bit of a factor...

So, my question basically comes down to this: Is the extra power of the 680 worth almost double the money?

Date of registration
: Apr 2nd 2012

Battlelog:

Thursday, April 26th 2012, 11:08pm

It is impossible to answer your question without knowing the full spec of your computer..

Date of registration
: Jan 19th 2012

Battlelog:

Thursday, April 26th 2012, 11:09pm

Well if you can afford it now and can find one, the GTX680 is a beast and will stay quite competitive for quite a while. The 680 was nearly a paper launch with regards to the volume of cards that Nvidia put on market. They'll be refreshing their entire lineup with 6series chips in the coming months. Rumor has it that the GTX670 Ti is slated for May 10th. In all reality it'll probably be more mid may, but the 670 will probably be closer to a 580 in price but with more performance.

Personally i'd set aside 400 euros and wait for the GTX570 to come out, it'll likely be more available than the 680 too.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Thursday, April 26th 2012, 11:21pm

Alright. Here's the full thing:

CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q9550 2.83GHz
Graphics: NVidia Geforce GTX260 AMP2
MotherB: ASUS P5KPL-SE
RAM: 2x 2GB Kingston DDR3
Power: be quiet! 530W (will be updated if needed)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Thursday, April 26th 2012, 11:23pm

Well if you can afford it now and can find one, the GTX680 is a beast and will stay quite competitive for quite a while. The 680 was nearly a paper launch with regards to the volume of cards that Nvidia put on market. They'll be refreshing their entire lineup with 6series chips in the coming months. Rumor has it that the GTX670 Ti is slated for May 10th. In all reality it'll probably be more mid may, but the 670 will probably be closer to a 580 in price but with more performance.

Personally i'd set aside 400 euros and wait for the GTX570 to come out, it'll likely be more available than the 680 too.
Seems reasonable. I guess i'll wait another month then.

Date of registration
: Feb 24th 2012

Battlelog:

Friday, April 27th 2012, 6:14am

if you're going to wait another month, might as well wait for GK110 (could be named GTX 685, or 690)
yes, it's going to cost more than current 680 prices but it should rock the hell out of it in performance while still being 1 GPU. and you won't have to upgrade for years.

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(10,156)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Friday, April 27th 2012, 6:58am

530w PSU? you're about 20w off of what is required. If you already had a 550w PSU and a motherboard that has enough space, I woulda said buy the GTX 680 now because it DEVOURS BF3 for breakfast according to people already using it. Then again you're going to have to upgrade your PSU (by you guessed it! 20w) if you wanted to use the 500's. My suggestion: wait until Nvidia releases more of the 600 series. Better deals will surely pop up. Be patient, I know what it's like with the lower end cards. You getting invisible character models because my bro is and it is pissing him off nearly every time he plays.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

"Skill" may indeed be the most magical of words. Chant it well enough and any desire can be yours.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Riesig

Random Signature Generator

(814)

Date of registration
: Mar 8th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 16

Friday, April 27th 2012, 5:59pm

Upgrade to an Antec True Power New 750 watts.

Call me insane, it won't statistically help you, but the order of your upgrade (In my opinion) should be :

PSU
RAM (8GB is the standard now)
Mobo
CPU
GPU

Unless your resolution is bottlenecked, but that's just me. I use my PC for other stuff too, hence the CPU priority.
If you don't, the GPU upgrade is best. Except I suggest you play the waiting game. Because the GTX580 is kinda bloated top of the line gear, it's too friggin' big physically, and with the GTX600 series, we're at least going to see an equivalent or more, for a smaller footprint.

Also add, the GTX 680 is the answer to the reign of the 7970, and those naming scheme doesn't even denote a "top of the line", their just mainstream cards IMO. Wait for the sweet spot during the price war.

Hence the mobo-cpu upgrade is more attractive.
I'm a tsundere tentacle

ToTheSun!

Be Creative.

(5,050)

Date of registration
: Mar 9th 2012

Reputation modifier: 19

Friday, April 27th 2012, 11:40pm

680 if you plan on running ultra settings, any of them if you run the lowest settings possible.
I have a 7970 and get 120-200 fps (150 being average) @lowest settings with fxaa high and 16x af.

If this gen goes along the lines of the 5xx/6xxx series, the 7970 might be cheaper enough to warrant your preference.

Date of registration
: Jan 30th 2012

Battlelog:

Saturday, April 28th 2012, 4:30am

I have the MSI GeForce GTX 580 Lightning Xtreme Edition and at stock clocks I never fall below 45 FPS on the big maps, usually around 60 @ Ultra 1080p (no MSAA). This thing also overclocks like a beast! I can run it @ 1000Mhz and NEVER fall below 60FPS @ Ultra 1080p (no MSAA).

I would say get the GTX 680 if you got the cash since the performance boost is pretty incredible. If you do get one of these cards you will need to upgrade your power supply a little bit (never cheap out for a PSU, try and make sure that it is at least 80+ bronze, you don't want to fry that $500 graphic card). Since your CPU isn't the best, I highly advise that you make sure that ALL unnecessary processes are closed to give maximum performance. A GPU can be crippled due to a CPU bottleneck.

Also, I think that you should save up and do a system overhaul. A new mobo, CPU, RAM and GPU would be a great investment if you want a good gaming experience. It just wouldn't be right to have an awesome graphic card and a not so great system. Then again, I don't know your budget or financial state.

Feel free to ask for any other suggestions or alternatives, if you can provide a budget.

Good luck! :thumbup:

I'm coming for your tags. You have been warned.
Ranking Score -- Top 1%
Dogtags -- Top 1%
Knife kills -- Top 3%
BF3 Stats