Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Date of registration
: Mar 17th 2015

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 8

Thursday, December 29th 2016, 8:13pm

The pineapple, dragon and penguin examples are just funny oddities.

The funny question regarding pineapple is the following (it's a fable):

A sixteenth-century merchant bought a cargo of pineapples in southern Brazil or perhaps in Paraguay and asked "what is this called?" The natives told her, in Guarani, "nana nana". And he sent three ships to Europe with pineapples.

The first one, in which the merchant went, arrived in Le Havre. They asked him "what is the name of that"? And he said "something like anananana". They tested it and said "ummm next time brings more 'ananas' like those".

Another arrived in Seville. As the captain had not been during the purchase he said answering the same question: "I have no idea. It is like a pinecone ('piņa' in spanish) ... but it is good". They bought and said "ummm next time brings more 'piņas' '".

The third one came to Plymouth. The same question and the same answer as in Spain. The pinecone. But as the English people are more suspicious :) cut and smelled before buying them. And they said "it's a pinecone that smells like an apple". Pineapples

Pineapples retains the root "pine" by pure chance because the relevant part is "cone". "Coneapple" would have been more logical.

When you say Ananas you are speaking in Guarani and you are saying "perfume of perfumes", which is what "nana nana" means.

Sometimes things happen by pure chance. :)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "leptis" (Dec 29th 2016, 9:47pm)

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,088)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Thursday, December 29th 2016, 9:43pm

Yeah just goes to show how dynamic languages are. :)

Date of registration
: Dec 14th 2014

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Thursday, December 29th 2016, 11:10pm

Funny story, which happened to me in Norway.

They are very proud of their dialect and told me about differences of certain words within a few regions. I couldnt keep it with me and shared some of my german dialect words.

The thing is:

"Pfiat di" (dialect for "Bye") sounds similar to norwegian "fitte"; better known as "cunt"

I didnt know, but their face was priceless :D
still playin' Motorstorm