Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Date of registration
: Feb 3rd 2015

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Monday, December 5th 2016, 2:24am

I am guessing you are a fan of the series. How is this game by the way?
The game is pretty fun. I do well enough in it. There are a few questionable things like how Headshots always seem to be a 1HK but I think it is a fun game. Not really any story to it so dont look for that but it is a fun game despite still being in beta. The powerups that act like pointstreaks are interesting and diverse and most are used though some less than others. I would try it if you are interested though it seems like just a fps put together in the GitS universe. Though that sounds bad I have to say I enjoy playing the game.

Date of registration
: Sep 7th 2016

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Monday, December 5th 2016, 4:44am

There are a few questionable things like how Headshots always seem to be a 1HK but I think it is a fun game.

I suppose that does create a large skill gap for those who are less accurate and cannot make headshots frequently. What is the typical number of bullets required to kill with fully automatic weapons to other body parts in close quarters in that case then?

Date of registration
: Jan 11th 2014

Battlelog:

Monday, December 5th 2016, 5:43pm

I thought that a virtual reality game required the 3D effect, otherwise your vision and brain will not be tricked.

All VR games have 3D vision. Not all games support 3D vision though.

Aenonar explained it well. The VR system mainly uses two mechanisms for immersion, the taking up of your entire field of view, and the stereoscopic effect on certain objects. You can use your VR glasses on BF1 for the "entire view" effect, but it's still in 2D. A game that sells itself as a "VR game" also has the stereoscopic effect. A VR game has to constantly measure the distance between objects and the player character, so that it can use that data to calibrate the effect. No calibration coding, no 3D.

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,661)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Reputation modifier: 17

Monday, December 5th 2016, 6:25pm

Aenonar explained it well. The VR system mainly uses two mechanisms for immersion, the taking up of your entire field of view, and the stereoscopic effect on certain objects. You can use your VR glasses on BF1 for the "entire view" effect, but it's still in 2D. A game that sells itself as a "VR game" also has the stereoscopic effect. A VR game has to constantly measure the distance between objects and the player character, so that it can use that data to calibrate the effect. No calibration coding, no 3D.

As somebody who used to play around with Oculus DK2 I personally think the stereotopic effect is not _that_ important, the "takes up most of your vision" is way bigger factor. For me the lack of "true 3D" was very similar to closing your other eye: You still have your vision and nothing feels too off, but if you really pay attention you notice you lack the usual sensation of depth.

Also there is at least third very crucial part to VR: Having rest of your body there in with you. Trying out LeapMotion Blocks (example video) was insanely more immersive than anything else I have tried before. It was also better than HTV Vive controllers at immersion but worse at robustness (can only track hands inside your vision, etc). If I had to buy VR system now I would spend 300$ more on basic datagloves (accurate finger/hand positions) on top of having Vive style controllers (a must for almost any sensible gameplay).
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, December 5th 2016, 10:38pm

I have a feeling that Microsoft can easily one-up the PlayStation VR from Sony in the near future with their Kinect device for the Xbox One combined with one of the virtual reality headsets that is currently available .

Date of registration
: Feb 3rd 2015

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Thursday, December 15th 2016, 3:53am

I suppose that does create a large skill gap for those who are less accurate and cannot make headshots frequently. What is the typical number of bullets required to kill with fully automatic weapons to other body parts in close quarters in that case then?
The number of bullets to kill varies depending on the gun. I wish I had more detailed stats but I dont really have any. Someone should dig into the code to see the actual stats, I would be really interested in that. Another thing to note is there isnt really any health regen (there is a powerup that boosts health but that isnt used too often) so BTK can vary if the enemy is already weakened.

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,661)

Date of registration

Thursday, December 15th 2016, 12:17pm

I have a feeling that Microsoft can easily one-up the PlayStation VR from Sony in the near future with their Kinect device for the Xbox One combined with one of the virtual reality headsets that is currently available .

Indeed that would be very convenient. Cables are a no-no for proper VR especially if you have Vive style area, and having multiple sensors/devices using one batter simply requires larger battery (although I can imagine simple sensors consume diminishing amount of power compared to the low-latency, high-resolution video transmission).

Using camera for body tracking like Kinect wouldn't even have the occlusion problems like with tracking headset. People tried Kinect 1 and 2 back in Oculus DK1/DK2 times and they worked quite well, except that Kinect 1 had very large latency. I believe Kinect 2 was already quite decent for tracking and pretty sure they can further minimize latency. All they need after that is the proper hand tracking and we are golden (somewhat) ^^.
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Thursday, December 15th 2016, 3:00pm

Indeed that would be very convenient. Cables are a no-no for proper VR especially if you have Vive style area, and having multiple sensors/devices using one batter simply requires larger battery (although I can imagine simple sensors consume diminishing amount of power compared to the low-latency, high-resolution video transmission).

By that "Vive style area", do you mean an empty room basically?

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,661)

Date of registration

Thursday, December 15th 2016, 3:33pm

By that "Vive style area", do you mean an empty room basically?

Yeah. If you can move and turn around you will have problems with cables unless the cables are strapped on the ceiling or so. I figure we won't have such problems soon enough since you see wireless VR being developed fast.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Thursday, December 15th 2016, 3:38pm

How is the battery life of the HTC Vive?