Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "fikealox" started this thread

Date of registration
: Oct 28th 2016

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 1

Wednesday, November 9th 2016, 12:19am

How is weapon data accessed?

I know that Symthic's weapon data is pulled directly from the game files, but I have no idea how it's done.

I'm hoping to analyse the weapon data for a different game, so I'd be very grateful if anyone could point me (even vaguely) in the direction of a starting point.

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,073)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Reputation modifier: 16

Wednesday, November 9th 2016, 8:48am

@fikealox

Commonly game data is compressed into big chunks (in battlefield: .cas files and such) to avoid clustering and reduce the size of the game. Depending on the game these files can hold the information you want (e.g. here we require the 'scripts' that set up everything in BF4), so you first have to extract the files somehow.

Your best bet is to start by googling if somebody has done this extraction phase for you already, because it's not too trivial to do manually. After you have your data extracted it might still require some processing to get some human readable information.

When you finally get human readable structures/data, then you can start digging it manually and try to find answers you look for. Here it's good to have basic knowledge on how memory is stored on computer (pointers, offsets) and maybe know some basic data storage options (XML, JSON, the likes. Rarely the devs wanted to invent wheel over again and they some existing methods instead.
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, November 9th 2016, 11:34am

Thanks so much for the reply. That's exactly the sort of information I was hoping for. I've got my work cut out for me, but you've given me a place to start. Much appreciated!

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,073)

Date of registration

Wednesday, November 9th 2016, 11:41am

Moved the topic to off-topic (more appropriate).

@fikealox
What game are you going to look into btw? With any luck somebody here could help you out.
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Thursday, November 10th 2016, 11:06pm

@Miffyli
I'm hoping to look at Rainbow Six: Siege. I think it's built using the AnvilNext 2.0 game engine, like a couple of the Assassin's Creed games.

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,073)

Date of registration

Thursday, November 10th 2016, 11:09pm

@Miffyli
I'm hoping to look at Rainbow Six: Siege. I think it's built using the AnvilNext 2.0 game engine, like a couple of the Assassin's Creed games.

I believe other people have done this work already, at least I can recall something like this from back when the game was released. That was one of the reasons why we didn't include R6: S to Symthic in the first place.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, November 11th 2016, 4:12am

Oh, brilliant - that would be amazing. It didn't even occur to me that people may have already done it. I'll have a search through the forums after work. Thanks again!

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,073)

Date of registration

Friday, November 11th 2016, 8:40am

Oh, brilliant - that would be amazing. It didn't even occur to me that people may have already done it. I'll have a search through the forums after work. Thanks again!

It wasn't on Symthic though, but there was at least some posts about these stats on R6S Reddit I believe (it was quite some time ago).

Nevertheless, if there aren't stats for it, it shouldn't be too hard to extract the files by now. Pretty sure somebody has made a script for that by now, just need to dig it up.

Date of registration
: Sep 7th 2016

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Saturday, November 12th 2016, 12:55am

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, November 15th 2016, 5:12am

Thanks for that, @ChineseToTheBone.

It looks like the data was gathered from in-game tests rather than the game's data files, but it also looks like there's no expander/unpacker available for ForgeNext 2.0 that supports Siege, so it's the best we'll get!