Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Monday, August 15th 2016, 6:09pm

New to PC gaming, not new to PCs or Gaming

Hi guys

The last of my parts will arrive any day now, and I will join the master race. I'm a noob to gaming on PC, but not to gaming, and not to PCs - I was an IT guy for a living although I haven't touched windows in years, and have thousands of hours in BF3/4. So I'm kinda looking for noob tips for not-noobs.

For example I'll be disabling unneeded services in windows As I used to do on my DAW), but there may be some with which I should or should not play ?

I have heard of disabling mouse acceleration, some patches needed etc.... What's the story there?

Software. I have a bunch of monitoring tools and benchmarks and drivers and such, ready to go. I grabbed TS3, OBS Studio, Steam and Origin, antivirus (Do I even need this now with the in-built one?)... Am I missing anything?

This will be used strictly for gaming and capturing that gaming, otherwise I'll do all my work in Linux via dual boot. So it should be pretty simple I guess... I just feel like I'm missing something. I also feel like the build should be more light-weight since it's role is so limited.

Recent conversation has highlighted privacy/security issues with Win10, is there anything I can do about that? Are there tools that automate the process of cutting things out and turning things off?

I guess it's all about what I need to add, modify or remove in order to achieve maximum performance and security and privacy.
Any advice appreciated!

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,073)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Platform: PC

Reputation modifier: 16

Monday, August 15th 2016, 6:20pm

@KDNS

Antivirus: M$ has said the included one is very barebones version and should not be used as 100% protection. HOWEVER I have noticed many anti-virus softwares can slow down your PC considerably, and personally haven't seen any problems in running common sense™ + built-in one + occasional scans with SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes

Win10 privacy: Haven't checked on this in a while. I think you can disable some of the privacy things but not all of them (some instructions here). However you need to make sure you don't disable stuff you use. Eg. Last time I disabled "Calendar" it also killed my email for some odd reason.

Mouse accel: Some games behave badly with Windoze's mouse acceleration (in mouse settings named something like "Improved mouse accuracy") and with games like that you need some extra patching/tweaking. However I haven't seen problems with games like BF4.
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Date of registration
: Feb 25th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Monday, August 15th 2016, 6:23pm

contrary to analog sticks, the mouse aims at recreating the movements of your hand when using it, which is why you want as little accelleration as possible, as that'll help in making the mouse movements feel and be more natural, remove mouse accelleration, set windows sensitivity to 6 and get a wired mouse unless yu have upwards of 100 eurollars to spend on one.

software-wise, the only thing you might be missing is rtss/msi afterburner, but they're not necessary as most games and gpu drivers will have the same monitoring tools, just not as overlay in-game.

as for eliminating programs and such that will go into your privacy, you can always delete everything on your path, but that usually creates problems, like how deleting cortana would make the searchbar be unusable(not that it is good anyway, but at least it's something)

and at last, i'm not sur ei understood what you mean by "light-weight", are you referringto the pc specs? what are they? and what are you aiming at with this pc performance-wise?
"I'm just a loot whore."

stuff mostly unrelated to BF4 that interests nobody

bf4
on 13/05/2016
23rd M320FB user on pc(13/05/16)
rush mode score RANK:2794 TOP:2% OUT OF:215398
obliteration mode scoreRANK:994 TOP:1% OUT OF:159466
handgun medals RANK:2236 TOP:2% OUT OF:143874
longest headshot RANK:9512 TOP:4% OUT OF:257589
recon score RANK:10871 TOP:4% OUT OF:274899
general score per minute RANK:10016 TOP:4% OUT OF:294774

bf3
31/3/2012 4:58:

Headshot distance RANK:493* TOP:0%
Revives per assault minute RANK: 6019 TOP: 3%
Headshots / kill percentage RANK:25947 TOP:13%
MVP ribbons RANK:18824 TOP:11%

*= 6 if we not count the EOD BOT headshots

@kataklism

ARGUMENT DESTROYED 100

ENEMY KILLED [REASON] JSLICE20 100

WRITING SPREE STOPPED 500

link to full-size old avatar:
http://i.imgur.com/4X0321O.gif

LucidNonsenze

Elite (Not Really)

(708)

Date of registration
: May 14th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Monday, August 15th 2016, 7:04pm

Core temp/hwinfo64. Allows you to monitor Temps on CPU. CCleaner for keeping registry cleaner. Process explorer - basically a more advanced task manager for monitoring what's using CPU/memory.

Signature

BF4, PC.

AMD FX8350 at 4.4GHz.
AMD R9 280x MSI Twin Frozr OC'ed to 1150MHz Core. 1700MHz Memory.
8GB Crucial RAM 1600MHz CL9-9-9-24 1T.
1TB 7200 RPM HD
Logitech G400 mouse.
MSI 990 series motherboard
1920 x 1080 IPS Monitor.

Monday, August 15th 2016, 7:06pm

Yeh I want to avoid acceleration. I'm really looking forward to a 1:1 controller :) I had heard about using sensitivity=6, but wasn't sure if that applies. I guess so! Thanks! I got a G502 since the 900 was like triple the price :O I don't mind wires much.

Funny, I had the evga tools that come with the mobo/gpu, but a friend suggested afterburner so I got that too. It does look quite well refined.

I'm OK with deleting cortana and losing the searchbar. I'll literally only boot into this to play the game(s) and record, and after I'm done, I'll boot linux. This reminds me that someone here recommended a replacement for the files search recently... Can't find it :/

Removing cortana is the kind of light weight that I mean. The PC is pretty nice, a 5820k and 1070 so it's no slacker but i still would rather remove any parts of windows which are not *needed* to play the games. I guess this is an old habit from audio workstations where we would strip the system down to get the best performance available. I don't need to sacrifice even 1/4 of a FPS so hat cortana can breathe ;)

@lucidnonsenze Thanks man :) I think coretemp's functionality is covered by afterburner, but hwinfo is one I've used in the past and is much more in-depth. I've grabbed that, and the sysinternals tools which I also remember. I guess some software never goes out of style ;)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "KDNS" (Aug 15th 2016, 7:12pm)

LucidNonsenze

Elite (Not Really)

(708)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, August 15th 2016, 7:08pm

Oh, also msi Kombustor for testing gpu stability and prime95/occt for testing CPU.

Signature

BF4, PC.

AMD FX8350 at 4.4GHz.
1TB 7200 RPM HD
Logitech G400 mouse.
1920 x 1080 IPS Monitor.

marbleduck

Smoked Salmon Best Salmon

(1,510)

Date of registration
: Dec 25th 2012

Battlelog:

Monday, August 15th 2016, 7:11pm

Windows mouse sensitivity does NOT affect your game sensitivity IF you have raw mouse input enabled.

I have run Windows without any sort of antivirus whatsoever for the past 14 years, and have had not one mishap. You can avoid viruses by not being retarded—don't download from sites you don't trust, don't run installers you don't trust; if you have to do either of those, then you should run them in a virtual machine.

Note that if you have the right sort of board (pretty much any modern Asus, Asrock, and Gigabyte board), you can very easily install OS X as a secondary OS as an alternative to a Linux distro. I greatly prefer OS X for day-to-day tasks, and will only boot windows for gaming.

Synthetic benchmarks as the one Lucid mentioned are fine in some situations, but real-world GPU/CPU benches like 3Dmark are FAR superior.

Platoon Marble Duck

Hate Mail

"you obviously don't know what an argument is as there is only one person battling. Do you really fucking think I want subs? You think you can act all big and powerful just because you sit on a computer at least 6 hours a day like the probably nerdy unwanted retard you are with 4.3k subs? You think 4.3k subs is a lot? LOL you need medicine man. I don't want any subs as i just have a google account for other media and writing comments. Think twice before you act. You even said in your video you aren't that great of a player, and the comments agree you aren't. Maybe you should once again think twice before you act, stop being such an annoying, ignorant bastard that everyone wants to shut up, and god, literally, just shut up. Your voice gave me a headache :s"

"As a youtuber shouldn't be trying to be reeling in your viewers with exciting stuff being said not your boring ass commentary for your video"

"The more you watch his vid the dumber he gets I swear he's borderline autistic look I got shot behind cover beacuase thin sheets metal are unpenetrable. Bf4 is just as quiet and tactical as bf3 random explosion in the background . Player has dissconected from chat
You started playing bf3 and never touched bfc1/2. Please do yourself a favor and shutdown your generic cod channel down"

"Nice clickb8 Faggot w8ting for your shit tier video to disable comments . Fucking newfag cancer go play some cod you activisiom cock faggot"

"I don't see why he [MarbleDuck] always tries to shit on levelcap he is better and has a million more subs...and also "there isnt a best gun in she game there are guns that are better that others at different engagement distances" yes thats true and whichever is the best/most average at all of them is the "best gun""

"Marbleduck you don't know shit lol levelcap knows more than you do you cant talk about how someone puts up garbage when you do yourself your a newcomer to YouTube acting like you know shit step up in the food chain first then you have the right to talk otherwise your just a fish trying to compete with sharks"

"Why don't we just witness "LevelCap vs MarbleDuck" One on One both on Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4 seen as there is so much Controversy about the Two Youtubers"

"stfu cunt, BF3 was way better end of discussion"

"Stfu man, you're be littleing the most looked upon Battlefield Youtuber. No one cares about you, how much of an ego you have, or quite frankly your opinion. It's a fucking game.... Does it really fucking matter? Pathetic man."

"fuck you asshole, dont talk shit about total"

"Wtf is your problem? You have no subs and he has millions, yet you pick on him like some kind of stubborn, ignorant, rude child born with a silver spoon is his mouth. It's easy to do that, for example... You said there was no background noise yet there is. You say you're a fairly good player, you're not."

"please talk like a normal person and not like a professional"

LucidNonsenze

Elite (Not Really)

(708)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, August 15th 2016, 7:23pm

Synthetic benchmarks as the one Lucid mentioned are fine in some situations, but real-world GPU/CPU benches like 3Dmark are FAR superior.
For practical benchmarks yeah, but I use synthetic tests for stress testing, for CPU they're pretty much the only choice and for gpu I find Kombustor causes crashes and artefacts a lot faster than Valley or firestrike although your mileage can and will vary drastically depending on your gpu.

Signature

BF4, PC.

AMD FX8350 at 4.4GHz.
1TB 7200 RPM HD
Logitech G400 mouse.
1920 x 1080 IPS Monitor.

Monday, August 15th 2016, 7:24pm

Oh, also msi Kombustor for testing gpu stability and prime95/occt for testing CPU.

Got them thanks :)

I've also got 3DMark, CInebench, AIDA (ugh demoware) realtemp+prime, Unigine and a few others I forget.

Windows mouse sensitivity does NOT affect your game sensitivity IF you have raw mouse input enabled.

I assume that's an in-game setting? Do all games support that? Or should I try to match my windows sensitivity to my game, in case another game doesn't support it? Perhaps that's the per-game patching miffy referred to.

I have run Windows without any sort of antivirus whatsoever for the past 14 years, and have had not one mishap. You can avoid viruses by not being retarded?don't download from sites you don't trust, don't run installers you don't trust; if you have to do either of those, then you should run them in a virtual machine.

HOWEVER I have noticed many anti-virus softwares can slow down your PC considerably, and personally haven't seen any problems in running common sense™ + built-in one + occasional scans with SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes

This has been my eperience, too. I've always run a scanner, but have had literally not a single positive (a few false positives but they don't count) in years. Common sense/dont be reatarded + Occasional manuals cans will do me I think. Thanks for the reassurance.

will only boot windows for gaming.

I'm pleasantly surprised to find I'm not alone in this.

Date of registration
: Feb 25th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Monday, August 15th 2016, 8:10pm

also mind you, if you use afterburner, you want to get rtss as well, as they work in tandem(one for fps counter and overlays, the other for everything else but won't overlay in-game)
"I'm just a loot whore."

stuff mostly unrelated to BF4 that interests nobody

bf4
on 13/05/2016
23rd M320FB user on pc(13/05/16)
rush mode score RANK:2794 TOP:2% OUT OF:215398
obliteration mode scoreRANK:994 TOP:1% OUT OF:159466
handgun medals RANK:2236 TOP:2% OUT OF:143874
longest headshot RANK:9512 TOP:4% OUT OF:257589
recon score RANK:10871 TOP:4% OUT OF:274899
general score per minute RANK:10016 TOP:4% OUT OF:294774

bf3