Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

IG

Always trust a Tork!

(1,364)

• "IG" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 24th 2011

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Wednesday, April 6th 2016, 9:12am

This isn't surprising. The NSA essentially hacks all of the google data, so they already have it.

It is a complete invasion of privacy, and although the State run agencies uses for the information could be in some cases questionable - even if their sole aim is national security. The real threat comes when this information is hacked into, leaked, or traded, into the hands of some other entity which may be far less scrupulous than the NSA... So the question is this: how good is Google, or Microsoft, or Facebook, or Twitter security? Yes it is worrying. You should be worried.

Are you telling me the NSA has access to all the spicy rarest memes I back up to my Google Drive under the folder "shlomo chronicles"

Wednesday, April 6th 2016, 11:12am

how good is Google, or Microsoft, or Facebook, or Twitter security? Yes it is worrying. You should be worried.

I won't say which two of those companies you listed, are the two who have employed me as a security consultant.... But I will tell you that they (along with literally every single employer I've ever had) generally ignore best practice as recommended by their consultants, if the price is too high. You should definitely be worried - because IT security is determined not by technology, or by experts in the field, but by profits, and experts in that field.

Date of registration
: Apr 1st 2016

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 1

Wednesday, April 6th 2016, 2:41pm

Yep... The reason why it is worring is not the purposes which those companies have in collecting that data (or the NSA with it's current anti-terrorist mandate). It is the problems caused when some other institution seeks to use that information for harmful purposes. Just think back to Germany in the 1930's and how destructive that was. Now imagine what an organisation like that could achieve with data retention. If someone wished to destroy , or discriminate, or inhibit the activities of a portion of society. Based on religious, racial, ethnic, or political background. Then data retention gives them all the necessary tools to do so. That should be enough to keep anyone awake at night.

Date of registration
: Dec 26th 2015

Reputation modifier: 3

Sunday, April 10th 2016, 6:45am

I'm not worried about all the data that people gather on me, because nothing I've done or will do will amount to anything important!

If they want to waste their time staring at my incredibly boring life and examine every moment of my wasted time (almost every waking moment), I say let them.
I love the math behind the statistics
It's possible to find me online at almost any given time, due to the fact that my schedule is hectic and rather non-existent.

Who needs sleep anyways?
(PC/PS4 gamer)

Various bf4 spreadsheets: (nothing special, just raw data from the Symthic website put into a spreadsheet to analyze all values at once)

Spoiler Spoiler

General Weapon spreadsheet:
BF4_Weapons_enhanced_UPDATED_2016
Soldier Equipment:
BF4_Gadget_Damage
Interactive Damage Table
bf4_dmg_at_range - Google Sheets
Unsuppressed Sniper Rifle Bullet Drop Charts
bf4_sniper_guide
Suppressed Sniper Rifle Bullet Drop Charts
Suppressed bf4_sniper_guide
More user friendly Unsuppressed Sniper Rifle Bullet Drop Chart
Friendlier Sniper rifle Bullet Drop Chart
More user friendly Suppressed Sniper Rifle Bullet Drop Chart
Friendlier Suppressed Sniper Rifle Bullet Drop Chart

Monday, April 11th 2016, 3:47pm

I'm not worried about all the data that people gather on me, because nothing I've done or will do will amount to anything important!

If they want to waste their time staring at my incredibly boring life and examine every moment of my wasted time (almost every waking moment), I say let them.

First they came for the hippies with the drug war. And took away my medicine.
Then they came for the bikies and terrorists. And took away my skateboard, friends and science experiments.
Then they came for the hackers. And took away my computers and my code.
Then they came for me... and I realised they'd been coming for me all along.

^ A true story and perhaps inappropriate parody of a very important poem you should already know (if not, google it!), which applies to your post.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "KDNS" (Apr 11th 2016, 3:53pm)

Date of registration
: Dec 26th 2015

Reputation modifier: 3

Sunday, April 17th 2016, 6:03am

First they came for the hippies with the drug war. And took away my medicine.
Then they came for the bikies and terrorists. And took away my skateboard, friends and science experiments.
Then they came for the hackers. And took away my computers and my code.
Then they came for me... and I realised they'd been coming for me all along.

^ A true story and perhaps inappropriate parody of a very important poem you should already know (if not, google it!), which applies to your post.

If I could upvote you I would.
:thumbsup:
I love the math behind the statistics
It's possible to find me online at almost any given time, due to the fact that my schedule is hectic and rather non-existent.

Who needs sleep anyways?
(PC/PS4 gamer)

Various bf4 spreadsheets: (nothing special, just raw data from the Symthic website put into a spreadsheet to analyze all values at once)

Spoiler Spoiler

General Weapon spreadsheet:
BF4_Weapons_enhanced_UPDATED_2016
Soldier Equipment:
BF4_Gadget_Damage
Interactive Damage Table
bf4_dmg_at_range - Google Sheets
Unsuppressed Sniper Rifle Bullet Drop Charts
bf4_sniper_guide
Suppressed Sniper Rifle Bullet Drop Charts
Suppressed bf4_sniper_guide
More user friendly Unsuppressed Sniper Rifle Bullet Drop Chart
Friendlier Sniper rifle Bullet Drop Chart
More user friendly Suppressed Sniper Rifle Bullet Drop Chart
Friendlier Suppressed Sniper Rifle Bullet Drop Chart

Date of registration
: Aug 11th 2016

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Thursday, August 18th 2016, 2:55pm

I won't say which two of those companies you listed, are the two who have employed me as a security consultant.... But I will tell you that they (along with literally every single employer I've ever had) generally ignore best practice as recommended by their consultants, if the price is too high. You should definitely be worried - because IT security is determined not by technology, or by experts in the field, but by profits, and experts in that field.
May I ask you your opinion?
I was watching footage from Watch Dogs 2 from GamesCom and it got me thinking about last year when playing the prequel. The game's theme (through DedSec) seem to be to alert the in-game public about the State's (ctOS) full access to people's lives, and through that, everything that was happening in their world was completely scripted. Are the game developers also warning the public in real life or is it just for entertainment's sake?

Since you're in security, do you totally laugh at the game's portrayal of surveillance and hacking, or does it somehow also educate us to be wary of it in real life?

elementofprgress

Wizard moderator

(3,544)

Date of registration
: Jun 28th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Saturday, August 20th 2016, 8:24am

tbh the NSA should just contract Google... does the NSA just contract Google?

Almost, they ask a special court that has only said no 4 times in a span of 25 years at one point to demand it from Google. but hey, on the bright side. If your Google or another PRISM partner you can make millions making the NSA a back door to get communications and data before your own serveries implement any sorta security or encryption.

When I first saw it I thought the same thing. Damn you creepy google. Then I got over and said damn google you crazy smart this shit is interesting. THEENNN I got to shit, world you creepy. when I realized you could throw your phone in the ocean and google, NSA, whatever could probably make that same map of.

Symthic Forum Rules
Battlefield Data Browser
Come join us on teamspeak!!!
Symthic/Team Symthic Teamspeak: TeamSym.Nitrado.net

Tuesday, August 23rd 2016, 2:53am

do you totally laugh at the game's portrayal of surveillance and hacking, or does it somehow also educate us to be wary of it in real life?

Both, I guess.... I mean, it's pretty far from realistic, but the theme certainly helps to give people some concept of what's going on around them, and of how it can be misused.

Even if it only helps by drawing attention to the endless cameras around us in public, at least that's a good start.

Personally I feel that if a game wanted to educate the public, it should be centred more around the vulnerabilities in the human part of the machine. All of the pen testing work I've done, I start with the front desk receptionist, and usually get in immediately. I broke a very large IT companies security completely by knowing only the first name of a staff member and faking his English accent over the phone to get his password reset. People are way easier to hack than cameras and computers and such, like we'd see in a game like watchdogs or a hollywood hacking movie. A healthy dose of scepticism sure helps though, and games or movies can give that gift to the players and viewers, even if they aren't totally realistic.

Date of registration
: Aug 11th 2016

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Tuesday, August 23rd 2016, 4:34pm

Personally I feel that if a game wanted to educate the public, it should be centred more around the vulnerabilities in the human part of the machine. All of the pen testing work I've done, I start with the front desk receptionist, and usually get in immediately. I broke a very large IT companies security completely by knowing only the first name of a staff member and faking his English accent over the phone to get his password reset. People are way easier to hack than cameras and computers and such, like we'd see in a game like watchdogs or a hollywood hacking movie. A healthy dose of scepticism sure helps though, and games or movies can give that gift to the players and viewers, even if they aren't totally realistic.
That's certainly interesting. I wonder if the developers would be able to create side or story missions were you were forced to use social mechanics to your advantage. Rather than hacking the villains in the game directly, you would use unknowing citizens or employees of the villains to manipulate your way in :)

I wonder if receptionist are afraid of halting business, worried that if they refuse to reply or try to transfer your call to a different department, they might get scolded by the bosses later. Is there no form of security training for receptionists, even once you present your results?