Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Zormau" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jun 23rd 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Thursday, October 22nd 2015, 2:13pm

Battlefield of Language: Controversy and Discussion in a Gaming Community - A Corpus Linguistics Study

As I had announced a few months ago I did a study in corpus linguistics this year, analyzing the language used by different groups within the BF4 community (with overlaps, of course) in regards to the spring patch.

I'll attach a largely de-personalized version of the paper to this post.
Zormau has attached the following file:
Zormau - Battlelog / Battlefield 4

Memorable quotes not taken yet:

Of course, this ignores the non-constant cross-sectional first moment of area across the chest as well as non-constant material properties of the boob; it would be difficult to perform a more detailed analysis (as in, I'd have to have a shape function AND I'd need to derive a function for elastic modulus as a function of lateral breast coordinate) but whatever. It's 2am and I'm lazy.

I always believed science should be very hands on experience.

You should also answer this question I had posed in that thread: Would you be willing to pay your surgeon more if he was going to use a chainsaw for the opening incision of surgery? Clearly using a chainsaw isn't truly suited for surgery but that doesn't really matter. If he's "skilled" enough to be able to use the wrong tools of the trade, he should be rewarded for that skill right?

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,612)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Reputation modifier: 17

Thursday, October 22nd 2015, 2:22pm

Ah yes I was wondering if somebody mentioned something about doing research on linguistics regarding gaming or something :D.
Will start skimming and reading through this later today! Looks promising with a quick glimpse.

Btw have you heard of indico | powerful developer-friendly machine learning ? They have some interesting models for analysing text and you can try it out for free with bunch of "credits". Might interest you.
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Thursday, October 22nd 2015, 2:49pm

Hm, indico seems very simplistic and reductionist to me - the kind of analysis that would perfectly suit a clickbaity pseudo-"popular science" article on buzzfeed or some such.

If I understood *how* it arrived at its results I could probably lend it some credence, but as it stands I don't see it being of any use in scientific work. I have no grasp whatsoever for programming and coding, so I can't do much beyond use its basic APIs. I did my evaluation largely with AntConc, excel and a few online based t-tests.

Of course, this ignores the non-constant cross-sectional first moment of area across the chest as well as non-constant material properties of the boob; it would be difficult to perform a more detailed analysis (as in, I'd have to have a shape function AND I'd need to derive a function for elastic modulus as a function of lateral breast coordinate) but whatever. It's 2am and I'm lazy.

You should also answer this question I had posed in that thread: Would you be willing to pay your surgeon more if he was going to use a chainsaw for the opening incision of surgery? Clearly using a chainsaw isn't truly suited for surgery but that doesn't really matter. If he's "skilled" enough to be able to use the wrong tools of the trade, he should be rewarded for that skill right?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Zormau" (Oct 22nd 2015, 2:55pm)

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,612)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Reputation modifier: 17

Thursday, October 22nd 2015, 2:53pm

If I understood *how* it arrived at its results I could probably lend it some credence, but as it stands I don't see it being of any use in scientific work.

Umm actually it is exactly based on scientific work, altho dunno how good those models really are (never tried them) but the principle is the same as they use at google. If trained well enough those can be actually used in real life applications (again, Google as a main example).
And as far as I know neural networks are kind of black box to scientists: They do not know exactly why they work, they just work :D
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Thursday, October 22nd 2015, 2:58pm

Don't get me wrong, I'd wager it's pretty useful for general things like large scale market analysis, attitude and reactions, but I don't think it'd be acceptable in a scientific publication or paper.

ToTheSun!

Be Creative.

(5,050)

Date of registration
: Mar 9th 2012

Reputation modifier: 19

Thursday, October 22nd 2015, 3:11pm

Thanks for sharing it with us!

On a side note, you should proofread it more thoroughly if this is for school.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Thursday, October 22nd 2015, 3:18pm

Thanks for sharing it with us!

On a side note, you should proofread it more thoroughly if this is for school.

It's for university, lecturer found two orthographical errors I missed and a few grammatical and lexical choices he's not *quite* d'accord with. Having one in the first sentence is kind of shameful, though. :whistling:

ToTheSun!

Be Creative.

(5,050)

Date of registration

Thursday, October 22nd 2015, 3:26pm

It's for university, lecturer found two orthographical errors I missed and a few grammatical and lexical choices he's not *quite* d'accord with. Having one in the first sentence is kind of shameful, though. :whistling:

Well, the good news is that you can fix those in the interim.

I just finished having a look at it (thorough reading that gradually devolved to perusing as i approached the end), and it looks pretty good.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "ToTheSun!" (Oct 22nd 2015, 3:33pm)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Thursday, October 22nd 2015, 3:35pm

Paper was handed in on Sept. 17. I didn't want to put it up somewhere else before it was graded and returned to me.

Gotta say I wasn't sure what my lecturer would think of it, but I got full marks for it, despite expecting a 2.0 (or "B" if you will) at best. Those two errors and other questionable linguistic choices, while shameful, didn't impact the grade.

ToTheSun!

Be Creative.

(5,050)

Date of registration

Thursday, October 22nd 2015, 3:38pm

Gotta say I wasn't sure what my lecturer would think of it, but I got full marks for it, despite expecting a 2.0 (or "B" if you will) at best. Those two errors and other questionable linguistic choices, while shameful, didn't impact the grade.

That's nice! Well, it's reasonable, given that English is not your first language.