Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "pTowel" started this thread

Date of registration
: May 16th 2012

Platform: PC

Reputation modifier: 7

Thursday, June 22nd 2017, 3:33pm

Spread vs damage dropoff - consistency

Mathematically speaking, which one is more consistent when used as as a range limiting balance tool? I remember marbleduck talking about it once with relation to btk but I forgot the finer points. Please note that I'm not making or asking for a judgment on the value of consistency from a balance and gameplay standpoint.

Date of registration
: Jun 5th 2015

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Thursday, June 22nd 2017, 4:57pm

In short, damage drop-off.

To also answer what you didn't really ask for, and why:

If you rely on damage drop-off only, the results will always be the same from engagement to engagement at the same distance, but you are going to have BTK varying wildly with range.

Due to the nature of probability, spread can theoretically make you miss all your shots in one engagement, and hit all in an identical next engagement. Though, also due to probability, this isn't likely at all. But purely mathematically speaking, spread is the less consistent.

BTK variations will feel more inconsistent though. A guy can move a meter and suddenly take another bullet. Three meters: two.

signature 2.1

Things I support
ammo regen pls

Quoted from "NoctyrneSAGA"

_____

When I play with it [Autoloading 8] I feel like I am batman taking out 1 after 1 baddie while they feel helpless and don't know who is talking out their mates.
Remove 3D spotting. Itís a mechanic that rewards bad eyesight.
Wanna help your team by sneaking through enemy territory to provide spawns? THIS IS NOT TEAMWORK FGT I HOPE YOU RUN OUT OF MOTION BALLS TOO EARLY TO BE SUCCESSFUL
Wanna be Javelin squad but only have two guys? BETTER NOT GET YOUR SOFLAM KILLED FGT THIS IS NOT TEAMWORK WITHOUT A SUPPORT DUDE DROPPING AMMO ON YOU EVERY 2 MINUTES
Please post your best M1916 clips Magazines *fixed*.

Cool/Useful Links

What Makes the Best Player?
David Sirlin on Intuition
Archive - Wait But Why - I recommend the posts on AI, and Neuralink, in that order. They are long, but very interesting. Just skim parts of them.

Symthic Databrowser
Battlefield 1 DeployTimes

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "potetr" (Jun 22nd 2017, 5:06pm)

C0llis

Up and down. Bounce all around

(3,334)

Date of registration
: Apr 15th 2013

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Friday, June 23rd 2017, 9:41am

Due to the nature of probability, spread can theoretically make you miss all your shots in one engagement, and hit all in an identical next engagement.
Not quite true. If the engagement happens close enough (target covered entirely by minspread cone, maxspread cone, or somewhere in-between) some (or all!) shots are guaranteed to hit. This is without recoil of course, add recoil and you get even more ambiguity but the principle still holds.

Another nuance of the spread model is pacing or bursting. You can make your engagements way more consistent by slowing down your firing. Other times the ease and risk of longer bursts is worth it.

Overall the spread model has more nuances than a pure btk-model. With spread there are more factors to consider and learn (higher skill, IMO) than no spread, where the answer is always "hold down the trigger".

Things people said

And reading Youtube comments still gives me Turbo Cancer.

It really is quite frustrating when Helen Keller sets up her LMG in the only doorway in/out of an area.

What kind of question is that? Since when is cheese ever a bad idea?

Hardline is a fun and sometimes silly Cops and Robbers sorta thing and I think that's great. Or it would be if it didn't suck.