Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Randal" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jan 13th 2017

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 1

Tuesday, January 31st 2017, 12:58pm

How difficult would it be to set up your own gaming server?

Title is pretty self-explanatory. I'm looking to set up my own BF gaming server and was wondering if it would be a worthwhile process.

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(5,809)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Platform: PC

Reputation modifier: 16

Tuesday, January 31st 2017, 3:38pm

You can't host a gaming server for BF3 and above from your dedicated computer. Best you can do is to rent one. Currently in BF1 you have limited power over your server many consider not worth the money. In BF3/4/H you have more options, like plugins and whatnot.

Rest is for general gaming server hosting.

tl;dr: Most likely not worth the money/effort, since limited games can be hosted.

I am going to assume you are talking about common gaming server for different games (e.g. have a separate computer running in your house or rent one from services like OVH which offer dedicated servers for game servers).

In the past this was quite viable option since server softwares were often commonly available or good 3rd party versions existed. However nowadays many AAA games (like BF series) only run on their own clouds or other larger gaming server providers, and server binaries are not available for public.

3rd party options do exist for some games, but they can require players to have modded clients and whatnot (hence not a "normal" server).

However some smaller games provide server files (things like Terraria, Minecraft, Factorio, etc). However unless you have some specific game you want to host I don't think you will be using the server much.

One bonus in having a dedicated gaming server is that you will also have general server available, if you ever want to host anything (pages, files, services, etc).
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included