Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Avelyn18" started this thread

Date of registration
: Nov 21st 2016

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 1

Tuesday, November 22nd 2016, 10:46am

Behavioural Science of Battlefield

Hi Everyone,

We are behavioral scientists interested in the personality and decision making styles of video game players. We have constructed a brief set of questions (about 6 minutes worth) that we would like you to fill out.
To thank you for taking part, we will send you summary of what our questionnaires assessed, your score/ranking in those assessments, as well as an overview of any relationships we find with your gameplay style.

Although we have limited funds to conduct this research, we will organize a draw, rewarding 25 players who took part in our survey. Those players who are picked will be able to select books they would like from our University books store (Warwick University Bookshop Online).

This research has been approved by our Institutional Review Board, which means that we assure anonymity of all respondents. This advert was also approved by the moderators of this forum.

To take part in the survey please click this link: Online Survey Software | Qualtrics Survey Solutions

If you have any questions feel free to contact us: Lukasz ([email protected]) or Nathan ([email protected])
Thank you in advance for taking part!

Lukasz

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,634)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Platform: PC

Reputation modifier: 17

Tuesday, November 22nd 2016, 11:06am

Thread enabled and bumping this up.

I really, _really_ encourage everyone reading this to take the survey. Took me 10-15mins to answer (did try to come up with decent estimates for answers), and all answers help these guys and science out!

@Avelyn18
Best of luck with your research! I'll keep bumping this up so people see this and hopefully provide more participants :)
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, November 22nd 2016, 11:11am

Thank you very much for your support Miffyli!

We look forward to analysing the data and reporting to you all about our results.

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,634)

Date of registration

Tuesday, November 22nd 2016, 11:17am

@Avelyn18
You could also submit this to reddit/r/battlefield_one and other similar reddit boards. It might bias your participants towards more experienced though.

Also mind if we post this on Symthic twitter to get more participants?
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, November 22nd 2016, 11:38am

We have already posted it on several reddit pages in fact. We are still waiting for approvals from others, but it seems that we are getting quite a lot of interest on the /r/battlefield_one.

It would be fantastic if you could tweet the link to our survey.

Thanks again1

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,634)

Date of registration

Tuesday, November 22nd 2016, 1:54pm

Bumping up for visibility. Wish we could sticky threads to index page (I could make global announcement bigger but that could be too intrusive).

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, November 22nd 2016, 2:00pm

Bumping up for visibility. Wish we could sticky threads to index page (I could make global announcement bigger but that could be too intrusive).
I looked through your analysis of the BF stats data. Really neat! Have you written/published anything about this?

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,634)

Date of registration

Tuesday, November 22nd 2016, 2:12pm

I looked through your analysis of the BF stats data. Really neat! Have you written/published anything about this?

Nope, but I have been pondering if I could come up with something paper-worthy (a problem, a question, etc) that could be done data like this ^^. Now that I am finishing my MSc studies I could even have time and funding to go visit some conferences.
If I were to do something I'd like to have a blessing from DICE/EA just to be save, but I don't think they have much against it.
The little "studies" I have in my signature were more of a amateur-studies which I did out of pure interest, but I they could have been done more professionally and carefully.

Or even something cooler: Paper made by Symthic community as a collaborative project. There are more than few guys here who know how to handle, collect and interpret this kind of data.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, November 22nd 2016, 2:35pm

Nope, but I have been pondering if I could come up with something paper-worthy (a problem, a question, etc) that could be done data like this . Now that I am finishing my MSc studies I could even have time and funding to go visit some conferences.
If I were to do something I'd like to have a blessing from DICE/EA just to be save, but I don't think they have much against it.
The little "studies" I have in my signature were more of a amateur-studies which I did out of pure interest, but I they could have been done more professionally and carefully.
P-Stats data are freely available so you should be able to use them in your research. Of course, it would be great to have support from DICE/EA. We asked them for help but didn't even get a reply. Thinking about it now, we could have asked university to contact them on our behalf. It would look more professional.
Or even something cooler: Paper made by Symthic community as a collaborative project. There are more than few guys here who know how to handle, collect and interpret this kind of data.
That's a very good idea. It all depends on your background. As psychologists, we are interested in individual differences like personality or intelligence, but also int the cognitive processes of learning and decision making. But these data could be useful for projects in many other fields (e.g. computer science).

yugas42

(1,387)

Date of registration
: Sep 1st 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Tuesday, November 22nd 2016, 7:26pm

As the one who really pushed to have this particular section of the forums created, I too am quite interested in what comes of your research. Thank you for taking the time to go through us first, it's a refreshing change from what we normally deal with.

I completed the survey this morning and encourage others reading here to do the same, it took me about 15 minutes including the optional questions at the end. Best of luck in your findings, Lukasz.