Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Date of registration
: Sep 7th 2016

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Monday, November 14th 2016, 12:38am

Oh wow. I did not expect a helicopter manufacturer to sue out all those weaponry featured in the game.

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,133)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Monday, November 14th 2016, 12:50am

Yeah, for whatever reason, many corporations and firms of the defense sector are very strict when it comes to the depiction of their weapons in video games. I talked to people working at H&K about this, and they want their weapons of war not to be connected to something as "fun" as a video game. However stuff like airsoft is very often endorsed, and I believe H&K actually gets quite a lot of money from the airsoft replicas, I believe they make their own now, too. So these are double standards for sure.

However, for vehicles it is a bit different of course. Manufacturers there are not only known for their tanks and IFVs etc., but produce civil stuff as well. So there it really is an image thing, when suddenly a corporation with a big civil secotr is known to the audience mostly for it's armored vehicle that has been depicted in BF.

As for advertising in general, the concept is intriguing, but I generally would not want it. In terms of in-game billboards it could serve a purpose. Then again, DICE might choose to put billboards, advertising columns, running TVs. etc. everywhere so that it is unrealistic at best and immersion killing at it's worst. Also, as BF is a product itself, the advertiser has another risk at hand, if the reputation of a game is bad, and the ads are overdone, the advertiser may suffer a loss of reputation as well.
Still people tend to overdo it with ads, just look at the internet, it started with colourful banners, now we have pop-ups, videos, sounds, ads overlaying the website you are looking at, etc. It can be very intruding. It can be very atmospheric though, too as other pointed out, in games like FIfa, racing games and the likes.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, November 14th 2016, 1:22am

It can be very atmospheric though, too as other pointed out, in games like FIfa, racing games and the likes.

Oh yeah, the "FIFA" series is also published by EA. Were the advertisements in those games accurate to real life?

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Monday, November 14th 2016, 2:05am

Yeah, for whatever reason, many corporations and firms of the defense sector are very strict when it comes to the depiction of their weapons in video games. I talked to people working at H&K about this, and they want their weapons of war not to be connected to something as "fun" as a video game. However stuff like airsoft is very often endorsed, and I believe H&K actually gets quite a lot of money from the airsoft replicas, I believe they make their own now, too. So these are double standards for sure.

However, for vehicles it is a bit different of course. Manufacturers there are not only known for their tanks and IFVs etc., but produce civil stuff as well. So there it really is an image thing, when suddenly a corporation with a big civil secotr is known to the audience mostly for it's armored vehicle that has been depicted in BF.

As for advertising in general, the concept is intriguing, but I generally would not want it. In terms of in-game billboards it could serve a purpose. Then again, DICE might choose to put billboards, advertising columns, running TVs. etc. everywhere so that it is unrealistic at best and immersion killing at it's worst. Also, as BF is a product itself, the advertiser has another risk at hand, if the reputation of a game is bad, and the ads are overdone, the advertiser may suffer a loss of reputation as well.
Still people tend to overdo it with ads, just look at the internet, it started with colourful banners, now we have pop-ups, videos, sounds, ads overlaying the website you are looking at, etc. It can be very intruding. It can be very atmospheric though, too as other pointed out, in games like FIfa, racing games and the likes.
No matter how popular a game like BF is it isn't going to influence the way the general population thinks about a company. It's pretty common knowledge that all of the big engineering companies provide some sort of defense support. Hell, even companies like Dell and Microsoft provide OEM support to defense; all of these things are publicly listed on their websites.

Without a doubt the defense aspects of companies with large civilian businesses are generally kept at arms length in terms of visibility, but that is hardly a deciding factor in a lawsuit. Hell, most people who play BF don't even know who makes the various vehicles and guns they are playing with.

Like most lawsuits of this type, the suit is essentially vicarious, and part of the reason for these lawsuits is really to map out the dos and don'ts of borrowing likenesses, etc.

For eg in GTA, many of the cars are recongnizable vis a vis their real world brands but carry no emblems or naming and aren't a 1:1 reproduction/model and this is pretty much totally acceptable. So the only way you can really map out how far artistic license, likeness, etc can be pushed is via the courts.

Date of registration
: Feb 25th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Monday, November 14th 2016, 5:58am

i don't know about outer products ads, but i am 100% sure that burnout takedown had battlefield 2: modern combat billboards, when playing it once my ps3 broke on ps2 i was like "...i s that... battlefield? nah it can't be..." then i got closer to said billboard and i realized it was indeed battlefield, and it's thanks to that which i buyed a copy of modern combat(fake though, because i have absolutely no clue where to get an original copy in decent state of that game in italy, not that i'd care anyway, after so long i'm sure there would be now ay to give money to dice for the game in a somewhat direct way)
"I'm just a loot whore."

stuff mostly unrelated to BF4 that interests nobody

bf4
on 13/05/2016
23rd M320FB user on pc(13/05/16)
rush mode score RANK:2794 TOP:2% OUT OF:215398
obliteration mode scoreRANK:994 TOP:1% OUT OF:159466
handgun medals RANK:2236 TOP:2% OUT OF:143874
longest headshot RANK:9512 TOP:4% OUT OF:257589
recon score RANK:10871 TOP:4% OUT OF:274899
general score per minute RANK:10016 TOP:4% OUT OF:294774

bf3
31/3/2012 4:58:

Headshot distance RANK:493* TOP:0%
Revives per assault minute RANK: 6019 TOP: 3%
Headshots / kill percentage RANK:25947 TOP:13%
MVP ribbons RANK:18824 TOP:11%

*= 6 if we not count the EOD BOT headshots

@kataklism

ARGUMENT DESTROYED 100

ENEMY KILLED [REASON] JSLICE20 100

WRITING SPREE STOPPED 500

link to full-size old avatar:
http://i.imgur.com/4X0321O.gif

• "Hazzathemlgpro" started this thread

Date of registration
: Nov 11th 2016

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 1

Monday, November 14th 2016, 11:13am

I feel like many people have missed te point of this. In game advertising would in my opinion be pointless. Virtually everyone goes outside and sees real life billboards, an this is when the bored and doing nothing (eg on a bus) whereas in games we are focussing on doing something. In GTA i hardly notice the adverts compared to real life adverts as Im too busy on some bank heist. I believe a f2p game with adverts in the loading screen instead of in game purchases would be preffered. The question I should be asking is; how many players would A game like league of legends lose if they replaced in game purchases with advertising. I dot know wht you guys think but surely it wouldnt cause player counts to fall?

Games often advertise themselves in games, for example bf4 always had news about bf1 on the homepage. Even a game as old as mw3 advertised Advanced warfare to me.

About the legal disputes, i dont think game companies would have too much difficulty getting people willing to advertise even without infringing on the users privacy. Razer for example would love to advertise in games.

Someone asking about fifa's adverts, yes it has many up to date ads which are even accurate to the individual team represented. I cant think of a single team which doesnt have adverts on the shirt that should so there seems to be no difficulty

Date of registration
: Dec 17th 2015

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Monday, November 21st 2016, 8:11am

Have you guys never heard of Payday2? Overkill has worked with other companies to "advertise" their stuff and in turn made content based off of said advertisement.

Here are some of the examples:

(I don't know why but these 2 images aren't appearing, just open them in a new tab and you'll get the idea)
[img]http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/payday/images/4/45/Point_Break_Heists_HD.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20151205162434[/img]

[img]http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/payday/images/9/9b/Hotline_miami_main_capsule.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/368?cb=20140929131549[/img]

I assume they did this because they needed to get enough money to buy back their publishing rights from 505 Games. I assume they wanted to do this because 505 tried to push microtransactions into the game and sadly it recieved a lot of backlash; what happened after almost killed the game but the DEVs were able to remedy this through time and took away all the P2W aspects of the micros away.

Overall the quality of the advertised DLCs were surprisingly good, in fact one of the best missions (heists technically) was from one of these advertisements.

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Monday, November 21st 2016, 8:27am

Have you guys never heard of Payday2? Overkill has worked with other companies to "advertise" their stuff and in turn made content based off of said advertisement.

Here are some of the examples:

(I don't know why but these 2 images aren't appearing, just open them in a new tab and you'll get the idea)
[img]http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/payday/images/4/45/Point_Break_Heists_HD.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20151205162434[/img]

[img]http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/payday/images/9/9b/Hotline_miami_main_capsule.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/368?cb=20140929131549[/img]

I assume they did this because they needed to get enough money to buy back their publishing rights from 505 Games. I assume they wanted to do this because 505 tried to push microtransactions into the game and sadly it recieved a lot of backlash; what happened after almost killed the game but the DEVs were able to remedy this through time and took away all the P2W aspects of the micros away.

Overall the quality of the advertised DLCs were surprisingly good, in fact one of the best missions (heists technically) was from one of these advertisements.
While PD2 DLC does work as promotional/advertisement material for involved partners, it is actually delivering in-game content that is tied-in to the stuff being promoted as opposed to delivering passive ad content.

That's so markedly different than what has otherwise been discussed in this thread that it totally slipped my mind and I've played a lot of PD2.

But they've got a pretty unique little advertising mechanic in PD2, you're quite right there.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, November 21st 2016, 8:38am

I suppose that "Payday 2" can definitely get away with these kinds of downloadable content, as it is a game that does not take itself very seriously to begin with.

On a similar note, my dream is for Electronic Arts and Time Warner to come to a partnership like how they did with The Walt Disney Company for their "Star Wars: Battlefront" video game. This would the perhaps allow for "Battlefield 1" to promote the upcoming "Wonder Woman" movie by offering a free map with the Elite Class available for pickup being the titular character herself. Something akin to that would be phenomenal and I am only half kidding about all this by the way.

Date of registration
: Dec 17th 2015

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Monday, November 21st 2016, 9:07am

I suppose that "Payday 2" can definitely get away with these kinds of downloadable content, as it is a game that does not take itself very seriously to begin with.

On a similar note, my dream is for Electronic Arts and Time Warner to come to a partnership like how they did with The Walt Disney Company for their "Star Wars: Battlefront" video game. This would the perhaps allow for "Battlefield 1" to promote the upcoming "Wonder Woman" movie by offering a free map with the Elite Class available for pickup being the titular character herself. Something akin to that would be phenomenal and I am only half kidding about all this by the way.
You'd be surprised at the backlash the Goat Simulator DLC received for a game that isn't taken very seriously to begin with. It's unanimously agreed the DLC makes the game... "silly" -_- (totally excluding the thousands upon thousands of cops charging head on at you in waves...)

Oh and I'm not against a shield-sword wielding female to help please the Feminnazis Former Dev Accuses Battlefield 1 of Sexism - The Know - YouTube (They the changed the title but it's still relevant to this day)

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "sgtCrookyGrin" (Nov 21st 2016, 9:15am)