Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Date of registration
: Aug 1st 2015

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 2

Friday, July 22nd 2016, 5:06pm

I (obivously) don't know why game developers use randomness. But they way i see it there are three (general) types of randomness.

1: Game prolonging randomness.
This is used a lot by MMO's, Blizzard and in phone games. This is the random drop mechanic in short. In World of Warcraft it is used for item drops. While stattiscally they also could say "defeat boss X, Y amount of times to get W" and achive a similar result randomness here has a big advantage. Because it plays in to humans gambling tendencies it makes people want to continue farming bosses because "Maybe this time it will drop". It makes it more exticting than now i need to kill this boss 101 times more to get an item i want. This (for me atleast) is because it makes it feel like next time i will get it, because there is always a chance. This is means they can make it so it will stattiscally take hours to get items, with out players feeling overwhelmed, thus increasing a games life span.

2: Game balancing randomness.
This i belive most here understand well, because it is in use in BF. For anyone else reading, you can't work around it so you can use it to hardlock weapons effective range, with out (somewhat subjectivly) inconsistent damage drop of.

3: Game improving randomness.
This was covered very elquently by Leptis. This is randomness that prevents solvabilty and intruduses game theory, thus alowing for more complex interactions like predicting the oppenent. Central to this is it prevents complete information. It is prevelant in card games like hearthstone, poker and magic the gathering.

Most of this has been covered well, i just thourght it had to be separated.

Date of registration
: Jun 23rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Wednesday, July 27th 2016, 1:40am

Good Grief Natskyg3 you just made me envision a system I'd love to see MMOs adopt.

Instead of purely "x chance that y boss will drop z item when killed" I'd say keep that system but add a token/counter system like "after x kills on boss y you may choose any (not super-rare like special cosmetic mounts) item from their loot table".

Why keep the chance to get random items? Because progression. Only having the slow and reliable system would be predictable, but for the most part you don't feel you're getting anywhere. Adding a few items for the group each kill leads to the group as a whole advancing their proficiency/stats, allowing the group to progress further more easily. The system would also avoid the frustration of killing a boss 50 times without getting the item he has a 15% chance to drop.

Blizzard sort of tried to address this issue by including three bonus-loot-rolls per week, but that's still plain RNG, just twice. And you can get duplicates from it. Or nothing. Yay.

Also, didn't Warhammer Online implement something like this?
Zormau - Battlelog / Battlefield 4

Memorable quotes not taken yet:

Of course, this ignores the non-constant cross-sectional first moment of area across the chest as well as non-constant material properties of the boob; it would be difficult to perform a more detailed analysis (as in, I'd have to have a shape function AND I'd need to derive a function for elastic modulus as a function of lateral breast coordinate) but whatever. It's 2am and I'm lazy.

I always believed science should be very hands on experience.

You should also answer this question I had posed in that thread: Would you be willing to pay your surgeon more if he was going to use a chainsaw for the opening incision of surgery? Clearly using a chainsaw isn't truly suited for surgery but that doesn't really matter. If he's "skilled" enough to be able to use the wrong tools of the trade, he should be rewarded for that skill right?

Labby

(6,445)

Date of registration
: Sep 26th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Wednesday, July 27th 2016, 1:47am

Good Grief Natskyg3 you just made me envision a system I'd love to see MMOs adopt.

Instead of purely "x chance that y boss will drop z item when killed" I'd say keep that system but add a token/counter system like "after x kills on boss y you may choose any (not super-rare like special cosmetic mounts) item from their loot table".

Why keep the chance to get random items? Because progression. Only having the slow and reliable system would be predictable, but for the most part you don't feel you're getting anywhere. Adding a few items for the group each kill leads to the group as a whole advancing their proficiency/stats, allowing the group to progress further more easily. The system would also avoid the frustration of killing a boss 50 times without getting the item he has a 15% chance to drop.

Blizzard sort of tried to address this issue by including three bonus-loot-rolls per week, but that's still plain RNG, just twice. And you can get duplicates from it. Or nothing. Yay.

Also, didn't Warhammer Online implement something like this?

GW2 raids work exactly like that. The bosses drop things when defeated, but you also get a currency called magnetite shards with which you can purchase almost everything they drop if you save up enough of it.
[Aetherblade Medium Boots]

JOIN THE TEAMSPEAK (L)EVOLUTION: teamsym.nitrado.net

Date of registration
: Jun 23rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Wednesday, July 27th 2016, 5:36pm

If only I hadn't found GW2 to feel so clunky and empty :(

It's a shame other successful MMOs haven't yet deigned to copy their best ideas.
Zormau - Battlelog / Battlefield 4

Memorable quotes not taken yet:

Of course, this ignores the non-constant cross-sectional first moment of area across the chest as well as non-constant material properties of the boob; it would be difficult to perform a more detailed analysis (as in, I'd have to have a shape function AND I'd need to derive a function for elastic modulus as a function of lateral breast coordinate) but whatever. It's 2am and I'm lazy.

I always believed science should be very hands on experience.

You should also answer this question I had posed in that thread: Would you be willing to pay your surgeon more if he was going to use a chainsaw for the opening incision of surgery? Clearly using a chainsaw isn't truly suited for surgery but that doesn't really matter. If he's "skilled" enough to be able to use the wrong tools of the trade, he should be rewarded for that skill right?