Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Open for discussion | Off Topic, A guest's perspective.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Date of registration
: Feb 18th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Sunday, August 19th 2012, 3:59pm

Seems some people are beginning to take this too seriously personally. No one is trying to stifle the forums unique creativity. The OP makes a good point, from the point of view of a newcomer or guest the Off topics can be misleading when plastered as the first 5 posts. Better yet when someone from DICE, grace our forums to scan for critical iissues. How can we insure that the first 5 posts someone sees after clicking on forums (listed under recent activity) isn't misleading?

Simply, take OT out of the recent activity news feed.

TL;DR: Remove off topic from recent activity news feed.

Please just call me, Ike.

InternationalGamer

Always trust a Tork!

(1,364)

Date of registration
: Dec 24th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Sunday, August 19th 2012, 4:30pm

I don't see what's wrong... the Off Topic section is for threads that are about anything but BF3.
It will probably even incline them to join more, seeing that there's more to this site other than srs bsns.
However... if they were allowed to see the chat without joining, they might seriously get frightened by our behaviors, then leave and never come back and report us to the U.N. and stuff like that.

Contortrix

Professional Ninja

(507)

Date of registration
: May 27th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Sunday, August 19th 2012, 4:37pm

I certainly wouldn't join a forum that doesnt have an off topic section.

Date of registration
: Feb 18th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Sunday, August 19th 2012, 4:58pm

It will probably even incline them to join more,

Is that necessarily a good thing? I for one, gladly take quality over quantity.
This is a srs bsns site, which is why DICE have in the past shared code with us and asked for our insight. Which is why it should maintain that look on the surface; think of it as a filter. I believe a great deal of us came here to escape the common riff raff that plagues battlelog. That's not to say we can't have fun.

But again I say, a simple solution would be to remove the off topic from the recent activity news feed.

Please just call me, Ike.

Athemoe

(1,426)

Date of registration
: Jul 6th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 17

Sunday, August 19th 2012, 6:04pm

Yes, just remove the off topic updates from the recent news. But don't hide it.

Sym

Head Administrator

(1,641)

Date of registration
: Nov 29th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Sunday, August 19th 2012, 9:55pm

It's not 'possible' to hide Off Topic posts from the recent activity.
If you have access to read the forum, you will also see the posts in recent activity.

I mean, of course anything is possible, but I'm not going to spend hours to find, understand and edit the source code.
BF3: Objective per minute: World top 1%

PyaKura

Password Giver

(327)

Date of registration
: Apr 5th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Monday, August 20th 2012, 9:24am

Okay, no problem.
Anyway, anyone who has a bit of brain wouldn't judge our forum/commnunity just by looking at the OT threads appearing in the recent activity.

... I guess.
Ded.

Date of registration
: Aug 18th 2012

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Monday, August 20th 2012, 10:23am

I used to frequent a web forum that delt with pointlesy modified cars. There was an off topic section there, but they kept it hidden from guests unless they registered, and also the site had no recent activity list, so unless you joined, you would not know it existed.
They did this so that people would know the primary reason of the site, which was the discussion of the cars, the people who modified them, etc. When you registered, you were then given access to the off topic stuff and the chatroom. My personal experience felt that this worked, as you would show a guest what the website was about, and also how difficult changes made can be, and how to get the best experience. If you interest someone like that, enough so for them to register, they can then see that it is not all "serious business" and that we have a laugh too.
So I'm all for hiding off topic for this reason only. If people are complaining about the content in off topic, then they need to look up the definition of the words "off topic", realise that what may be offensive to you is someone's normal behaviour/style and realise the world isn't a cotton wool ball with sugar on top. If they don't like it, there's a big red X in the top right.
Always knee-deep in the dead...

Witchalok

Grounded in reality

(301)

Date of registration
: Mar 6th 2012

Battlelog:

Monday, August 20th 2012, 10:47am

Okay, no problem.
Anyway, anyone who has a bit of brain wouldn't judge our forum/commnunity just by looking at the OT threads appearing in the recent activity.

... I guess.

You guess wrong then. Most of the time that I check out the forum, the latest activity feed is flooded with complete off-topic crap.

In fact, I am quite tempted to delete my bookmark of this forum. Hardly any kind of interesting discussions come up anymore.
It might be that people have run out of subjects until a new patch/DLC lands, or that I have my expectations set too high.
I would have loved some discussions about specific maps, about the meta-game, etc, but these hardly pop up.

The forum has become imo a circle-jerk of ego boosting between a handful of members, with forced memes and inside jokes.
Which might be fine on it's own, but it's just not for me.

PyaKura

Password Giver

(327)

Date of registration
: Apr 5th 2012

Battlelog:

Monday, August 20th 2012, 11:49am

It might be that people have run out of subjects until a new patch/DLC lands

You said it. We have already talked about (nearly) everything in BF3. We have gathered a ton of data since the game's release. There are still stuff we don't fully understand - if not at all (H.rec, I haven't checked the thread for a while now) or just don't know (Rockets/Missiles speed?). If people come here it's mainly because they are searching for data and increase their knowledge about the game, without having to participate actively in the forum. We also have made a nice Report for DICE, with all of these balance things.

So, yeah, we don't have any other interesting subjects, bar Symthic vs Reddit subforum, where we're talking about tactics and strategy, but the subforum is hidden.
If we didn't have the OT subforum, Symthic would be kind of dead by moments (Just like now).

You (WE) just have to wait for the next DLC/patch, and many interesting threads will pop up here and there.

Sorry if my English is bad, but you should understand what I meant.
Ded.