Symthic Forum was shut down on January 11th, 2019. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2019-01-08 at 22:09. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "OnlyNeedJuan" started this thread

Date of registration
: Mar 1st 2018

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 2

Friday, December 21st 2018, 8:12pm

So how does spread work?

From what I understand, spread is no longer really a thing, at least in the traditional sense where it creates a cone of fire. From what I've heard the spread value you have is somehow translated into recoil. So how does it work? Does it add your spread value to your current recoil to create a non-linear recoil pattern? Or does it do something else? How does base spread affect this?

Hopefully someone can help me understand, because it confuses the hell out of me right now.

Cheers

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "OnlyNeedJuan" (Dec 21st 2018, 8:44pm)

Date of registration
: Mar 19th 2014

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 16

Friday, December 21st 2018, 9:08pm

The game calculates the next random-within-cone spread value a frame ahead of time, then moves your sights to that position when it happens. Spread still works as spread in a purely technical sense, it's just that your sights now properly track with it.

It really is the best possible system, as we retain the balance abilities of spread values, but with proper visual feedback and representation for the user.
Who Enjoys, Wins

Date of registration
: Dec 16th 2018

Reputation modifier: 1

Friday, December 21st 2018, 9:17pm

Would anyone know how to calculate the spread of any given weapon after X number of bullets have been fired?
This taking into account the Spread Decrease ofc as well.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, December 21st 2018, 9:18pm

So your sight will recoil to where your shot was? Because I don't see the point of representing spread that way if all it does is throw your sight off to where the shot was, which would be information that is late and therefore irrelevant to your current situation. I'm probably asking too much but would you have any way of visualizing this for me?

The way I understand it now, if DICE were to use spread to balance guns more, wouldn't that make controlling your gun super erratic and jittery? Wouldn't that also essentially make the recoil pattern pointless because there is a randomness factor added to it (which defeats the point of learning the pattern in the first place)?

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, December 21st 2018, 9:29pm

Would anyone know how to calculate the spread of any given weapon after X number of bullets have been fired?
This taking into account the Spread Decrease ofc as well.
I suppose you'd have to grab the SIPS and the SDEC and just look at how many milliseconds are between shots fired (and how that translates in-game with simulation rates and all that)

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(10,345)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Friday, December 21st 2018, 10:04pm

No, your sight recoils to where your shot is going to be. When you fire a shot, the game calculates where the next spread roll would be and combines it with the movement due to the recoil pattern and normal recoil. The sights are then sent on their way to that location over a small period of time which is why it isn't as jittery as it could be.

But it still can be super erratic and jittery. Try firing your weapon while coming out of a sprint. People mistake it for a moving first shot recoil penalty when really it's just the huge spread from sprinting leading to a gigantic area where your sight can be jerked around. Very large magdumps can also display this behavior.

It does a good job of making shooting when your spread is bad physically uncomfortable. I personally feel this system still has too much screenshake even with the distribution over time and is also not really representative of how sights work.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

"Skill" may indeed be the most magical of words. Chant it well enough and any desire can be yours.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Date of registration
: Jul 19th 2012

Reputation modifier: 8

Friday, December 21st 2018, 10:42pm

Does spread decrease work the same as previous battlefields (aside from the always decreasing thing)? Because there's a spread decrease exponent and spread decrease offset.

Like what effect does the exponent and offset have on your spread?

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, December 22nd 2018, 11:50am

No, your sight recoils to where your shot is going to be. When you fire a shot, the game calculates where the next spread roll would be and combines it with the movement due to the recoil pattern and normal recoil. The sights are then sent on their way to that location over a small period of time which is why it isn't as jittery as it could be.

But it still can be super erratic and jittery. Try firing your weapon while coming out of a sprint. People mistake it for a moving first shot recoil penalty when really it's just the huge spread from sprinting leading to a gigantic area where your sight can be jerked around. Very large magdumps can also display this behavior.

It does a good job of making shooting when your spread is bad physically uncomfortable. I personally feel this system still has too much screenshake even with the distribution over time and is also not really representative of how sights work.
So how does recoil come in here? Does that make your sight deviate from where your round will land or??....

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(10,345)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Saturday, December 22nd 2018, 12:02pm

So how does recoil come in here?

Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

"Skill" may indeed be the most magical of words. Chant it well enough and any desire can be yours.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, December 22nd 2018, 12:50pm

Oh shit, misread that at first haha, cheers man.