Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "InterimAegis" started this thread

Date of registration
: Mar 31st 2015

Platform: Xbox One

Reputation modifier: 8

Wednesday, December 5th 2018, 12:30am

Sights and their zoom

At this point, it seems like a lot of the zooms may be incorrect. For example, you put a reflex or a Nydar on an StG44, and it seems like it zooms OUT a little bit. You put an iron sight on, and it inexplicably zooms in 1.5x (according to devs). Do we have an explicit list of sights and their zoom values? If not, should we attempt to compile one? Alternatively, can someone point me to the proper location in the data browser?

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,421)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 16

Wednesday, December 5th 2018, 12:50am

Since I am just rolling through Drunkkz3's twitter feed, do you mean this?

https://twitter.com/DRUNKKZ3/status/1067823278310469635

It seems this is indeed an incorrect value in the description and will be fixed once the update goes live.

Date of registration

Wednesday, December 5th 2018, 1:40am

That’s certainly part of it. I’d like to know, however, why my reflex sights seem to be 0.95x zoom, and why iron sights have better zoom than other optics. I guess it’s intended.

Date of registration
: Nov 26th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Wednesday, December 5th 2018, 2:32am

What FOV are you on?

There are two modes for low zoom sights:
Mode one is a preset FOV: meaning the zoom multiplier is meaningless because it only makes sense for a certain reference FOV (and in BF4 they were using different reference FOVs so none of it was consistant).

Mode two is to actually apply a zoom multiplier so that your ADS FOV will depend on your non-ADS FOV.

So here's the thing: if you're playing at FOV 110, then the preset FOV for say a 1.25X sight will tend to be much more zoomed in than the scaled FOV version, because the preset FOV will be referenced to a default console FOV which could be in the 55-75 range.

But if your FOV is really low, lower than that default, the preset FOV will actually be wider than your non-ADS FOV: ADS will actually give you worse zoom. The FOV scaling will actually give you a proper tighter FOV.

Why is this even a thing the players have to deal with? Its complicated!
Between BF3 and BF4 they made the scaling zoom the default for ironsight/reflex sights, but don't use it on anything higher than 2x optics IIRC
But this was in the game before Uniform Soldier Aiming was put in, so under the new system, the ironsights were weirdly low zoom, but given a drastic sensitivity decrease from BF3
Whereas scopes running off the preset had a more reasonable sensitivity decrease.

Also the choice levels the playing field between high FOV and low FOV ADS zoom on those lower scopes.

So basically it was really unpleasant using the low zoom sights at the time and so they just hacked in an option to go back to a more BF3-like system.

Date of registration
: Mar 19th 2014

Battlelog:

Wednesday, December 5th 2018, 4:23am

1x - Rib Sight, Nydar Sight, Reflex Sight
1.25x - AA Sights, Lattey Sight
1.5x - Iron Sights
2x - Buckhorn Sight, Aperture Sights
3x - Medium Range Scopes
6x - Long Range Scopes
Who Enjoys, Wins

Date of registration
: Jul 19th 2012

Wednesday, December 5th 2018, 7:09am

Worth noting that, as far as I know, Battlefield has "proper" zoom multipliers for sights.

e.g. if you have 80 FOV (and ads fov scaling) and use a 3x zoom scope, your zoomed FOV is 2*arctan(tan(80°/2)/3) = 31.25°

rather than just 80°/3 = 26.67

Irons are indeed 1.5x:
index.php?page=Attachment&attachmentID=1183

Lattey are 1.25x:
index.php?page=Attachment&attachmentID=1184

The size of the ADS image that's on top is divided by the zoom ratio. This makes it "fit" into the image.

1x aren't actually 1x and seem to be 1.01x or something really small that makes it difficult to measure.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, December 5th 2018, 9:18am

1x aren't actually 1x and seem to be 1.01x or something really small that makes it difficult to measure.

I've noticed that too, and as a 1.0x user in BF1 it was the same way there. I assume it's something simple like how it rounds the value (etc).
Who Enjoys, Wins

Date of registration

Wednesday, December 5th 2018, 8:00pm

What FOV are you on?

There are two modes for low zoom sights:
Mode one is a preset FOV: meaning the zoom multiplier is meaningless because it only makes sense for a certain reference FOV (and in BF4 they were using different reference FOVs so none of it was consistant).

Mode two is to actually apply a zoom multiplier so that your ADS FOV will depend on your non-ADS FOV.

So here's the thing: if you're playing at FOV 110, then the preset FOV for say a 1.25X sight will tend to be much more zoomed in than the scaled FOV version, because the preset FOV will be referenced to a default console FOV which could be in the 55-75 range.

But if your FOV is really low, lower than that default, the preset FOV will actually be wider than your non-ADS FOV: ADS will actually give you worse zoom. The FOV scaling will actually give you a proper tighter FOV.

Worth noting that, as far as I know, Battlefield has "proper" zoom multipliers for sights.

e.g. if you have 80 FOV (and ads fov scaling) and use a 3x zoom scope, your zoomed FOV is 2*arctan(tan(80°/2)/3) = 31.25°

rather than just 80°/3 = 26.67

I am now really confused. I am on XB1. I have followed @BleedingUranium 's FANTASTIC guide on FOV and USA. Because enemies are literally hard enough to see directly in front of my face, I play on the minimum FOV (50) for the most non-ADS zoom possible. I have tried ADS FOV settings ON and OFF, and I still can't get my 1x zooms to render correctly. Effectively, I can never use a Nydar or a Reflex because it makes it impossible to see anything by zooming my sight picture out every time. It's so jarring. I have just been using iron sights exclusively recently and as a result have been performing much much better.

How do I properly set up my FOV and ADS so I can use 1x sights? Is this a bug?

2x - Buckhorn Sight, Aperture Sights

Which weapons have Buckhorns? I am rank 17 Assault, 15 Medic, 7 Support, and 17 Recon and I literally have never seen one.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, December 5th 2018, 10:03pm

How do I properly set up my FOV and ADS so I can use 1x sights? Is this a bug?

Which weapons have Buckhorns? I am rank 17 Assault, 15 Medic, 7 Support, and 17 Recon and I literally have never seen one.

I'm not quite understanding the issue you're having, but I assume you have FoV Scaling set to On, right? Side note, we have Uniform Soldier Aiming for vehicles now! And we can disable the awful acceleration!

Shotguns have Buckhorn.
Who Enjoys, Wins

Date of registration

Wednesday, December 5th 2018, 10:49pm

'm not quite understanding the issue you're having, but I assume you have FoV Scaling set to On, right? Side note, we have Uniform Soldier Aiming for vehicles now! And we can disable the awful acceleration!

Shotguns have Buckhorn.

Ah - I don't shotgun, so I guess that's why I haven't seen them! Good news about the vehicles. Tired of not being able to track targets very well.

I have FoV at 50, FoV ADS Scaling on, and my 1x sights still ever so slightly zoom out. Does that explain it a little more? I can attempt to take some screen shots.