Symthic Forum was shut down on January 11th, 2019. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2019-01-08 at 22:10. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hau_ruck

Tow me daddy!

(1,095)

• "Hau_ruck" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 3rd 2014

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Friday, December 28th 2018, 2:57pm

Does anyone actually enjoy "Airborne"?

Am I missing something here? This mode to me feels like it was never tested even once.

1. Defenders spawn almost directly on top of the objectives while attackers spawn in a plane and take forever to get even close to the objective. So defenders always outnumber attackers unless all attackers rush 1 objective together. (with no coordination between players this doesn't happen)

2. Even on the off chance that an attacker makes it to an objective, he can't blow it up unless he has 1 of 2 bombs which make him a massive target, will explode if he doesn't move quickly enough and can be easily camped by the defenders. On Twisted Steel the defenders can advance almost right up to where the bombs spawn. We literally had an MG42 camped in a ditch at the side of the field where a bomb spawns. Why are the bombs necessary? They just make an already difficult task impossible.

3. And finally, the attackers can't even utilize the one advantage that the mode should offer them which would be to jump out behind the enemy position and have squads attack from all sides. The game inexplicably forces you to jump out. Even if you wait for the automatic jump you just fall right on the enemy line, not behind it (and immediately die). For God's sake DICE just let attackers land wherever we want. At the moment you basically have to just jump immediately and slowly run to the battle. The only way to make the mode even slightly fun is to use a spawn beacon to skip what is effectively a cripplingly long respawn timer which only applies to one team.

4. Even defending isn't much fun as the AA gun is trash and can barely shoot the planes down anymore.

Does anyone actually like this mode? At the moment it's just one of the many things that makes me not want to play Grand Operations, which is a shame in that I loved Operations mode in BF1. It was flawed but at least it had nice cutscenes, an epic scale and real consequences for winning on attack or defence.

Date of registration
: Jul 26th 2014

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Saturday, December 29th 2018, 6:55am

Great concept, flawed execution.
First time on Airborne : "Oh cool we get to play as paratroopers behind enemy lines."
nth time on Airborne : "...this round doesn't do anything significant for the grand operations anyway."

Date of registration
: Mar 25th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 8

Saturday, December 29th 2018, 12:51pm

Wait wut... there is a gamemode called ''airborne''?

Reading about it, it sounds horrible!
RIP Sraw

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,427)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 16

Saturday, December 29th 2018, 1:16pm

Yes it suffers from all the flaws of asymmetric game balance and adds a couple new. It really emphasizes map design flaws (easily to see on Twisted Steel) and too many players on a too small and open playing area. Add to that that the outcome of the first day is basically meaningless in the grand scheme of things and you have a completely obsolete gamemode.

I guess they wanted to add a Band of Brothers reminiscence.

Date of registration
: Mar 19th 2014

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Saturday, December 29th 2018, 7:01pm

Every day is "meaningless", after all, winning or losing the whole Op just changes the "Victory" / "Defeat" text, and a voice line, so it's really just as meaningful as any of the other days.

Unless you have an assignment that requires a win, it's wholly irrelevant.
Who Enjoys, Wins

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,427)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Battlelog:

Saturday, December 29th 2018, 7:29pm

Every day is "meaningless", after all, winning or losing the whole Op just changes the "Victory" / "Defeat" text, and a voice line, so it's really just as meaningful as any of the other days.

Unless you have an assignment that requires a win, it's wholly irrelevant.

Yep, still winning gives you a better "feel" and the day three is the deciding round for the overall win. With the attackers being at a disadvantage usually on day three as well it usually is a little more lopsided even. Grand Operations just is not a very well designed mode gameplay-wise when compared to other asymmetric modes and maps we saw before. I wonder why DICE did not draw inspiration from the couple of working asymmetric modes and especially maps we had so far and remade that for these purposes.

Date of registration
: Mar 19th 2014

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Sunday, December 30th 2018, 5:20pm

All they really need to do is make 3/4 cannons count as a Victory (4/4 would be Major Victory).

More broadly, they need to do a rework of Day bonuses so they're dramatically more impactful.
Who Enjoys, Wins

Date of registration
: Aug 28th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Sunday, December 30th 2018, 7:15pm

More broadly, they need to do a rework of Day bonuses so they're dramatically more impactful.

I'm afraid this would cause a snowballing problem. If the attacking team is good, they will more often win the first round, and breeze through the second and third because they not only are better, but are granted big advantages. If they're bad, the opposite happens and they won't stand a chance on the following days.

The silver lining of the current system is that the first two days are a good time to play suboptimally (work on assignments, try out new weapons/vehicles etc) with a clean conscience.
Why I don't use lasers:

Quoted

The Green Laser Sight you should almost always turn off as it gives away your vacation.

Quotes Corner

Double Ass-Ault Tank Lunch - YouTube

Most fun ever in this game mode.

BF4: Competitive Tank Launching

Rated on explosives used, launch, flight trajectory, style/tricks, and landing.

Shitgun: Whoops did I spell that wrong? Nah, I don't believe so.

Anyone got any ideas about what the UGL Rail on the L86 is for? (13/04 Patch notes.)

XM25 can't mount, can it? Looking forward to my Underslung Ammo box!

Is there any way for anyone that doesn't have mod powers to know what the IE on 360 thread is? I feel so left out...

Nope. Deleted so only mods can see the contents. It has some... interesting stuff there... *squints @Riesig <.< *

*Nick 30075's Application for Moderatorship follows:*

HURR DURR I IS GOOD MOD GIB IE ON 360

My application would be better.
"Totally not Tapatalk only. Pls gib pwor"

Hau_ruck

Tow me daddy!

(1,095)

• "Hau_ruck" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 3rd 2014

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Monday, December 31st 2018, 11:49am

Well BF1 actually gave a bonus to teams that were losing in the form of a behemoth. Now they were more useful on some maps than others, but it was cool when they came in and helped to make a clear distinction between waves. But yeah, the days really need to matter more. I know plenty of RTS games that managed to do this sort of thing well. You could do this like:

Have one side in airborne attack some bit of infastructure like a bridge or supply depot while the other team defends. Which team wins could effect things like what vehicles are available on the next map. I like the idea of airborne, starting with an infantry focused sabotage mission before the "real" battle in modes like Breakthrough and Frontlines gets going. It's just been implemented poorly. But hey, maybe they'll change it soon.