Symthic Forum was shut down on January 11th, 2019. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2019-01-08 at 22:13. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,427)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 16

Sunday, December 9th 2018, 7:11pm

I have to say, the halftrack might just possibly the most OP thing in the entire game, just like the AMTRAC in BF4. It is just so underrated. You can not spot that thing, it is decently armoured, it is unbelievably unsuspicious, anybody can repair it and it has two MG34s to use upfront. Forget playing Medic on these stupidly large maps, choose the death ambulance!

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(10,345)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Sunday, December 9th 2018, 10:47pm

@VincentNZ

I leveled up all my classes by using half-tracks instead of the infantry weapons.

They're good and no some maps/modes even necessary. If you park a half-track on one of the objective in Airborne, you can pretty much guarantee your team will take it.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

"Skill" may indeed be the most magical of words. Chant it well enough and any desire can be yours.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Hau_ruck

Tow me daddy!

(1,095)

• "Hau_ruck" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 3rd 2014

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Monday, December 10th 2018, 2:55am

This is what I've been saying about MRAPs for years. Now with the halftrack you become invincible against 2 classes while support either has to get close enough to plant mines under you (in which case that's on you) or do minimal damage with the grenade gun. So assaults are all you really have to worry about. Once you have your seats mapped switching between seats 1 and 3 is almost instant. The roof MGs kill in three hits and the port MG is still very deadly and totally protected. Getting sensitivity right on console takes some time but once it clicks these things are killing machines. Going engineer combat role also allows the MGs to fire for days and unlike tank MGs you never run out of ammo. The MGs also penetrate cover quite nicely. Had a good run on Narvik breakthrough on the first 2 objectives shooting guys through the sand bags on the rail bridge.

Panzerfausts also only do 50% damage with good angles and I've seen them do ~20 damage before. I'd be curious to know if the patch changed their damage to halftracks at all. The main threat is part disables especially on the 251 since the M3 at least has full 360 aiming on its turret which the 251 doesn't, leaving it vulnerable to flanks when a track/ engine is broken. That said the M3's port MG is significantly worse. As far as I can tell it does the same damage but at a slower fire rate. So I'll take a 251 any day. I also like that crew exit the 251 from the rear, not a door on the side. It makes escaping a doomed vehicle much easier.

Date of registration
: Mar 19th 2014

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Monday, December 10th 2018, 5:34am

I love the halftracks, it's so nice to actually have a vehicle like this that is more than just a glorified, disposable taxi.
Who Enjoys, Wins

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,427)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Battlelog:

Monday, December 10th 2018, 11:23am

One thing I always use the halftrack for is to ram tanks. I pushed one off the bridge on Hamada, for example. Also a very efficient way to eliminate tank threats, when they are already under pressure (works mostly on british tanks with the 251) is to ram them head on, which will put them on your hood and make it's weapons useless.

I have a question regarding the gunner MGs. Are they all either an MG34 or Vickers and have the same stats and damage? As of now I feel the german vehicles have a higher ROF, and I was top and bottom gunner in the staghound and got the feeling that the top gun killed faster, very comparable to other top positions, while the bottom gun did less damage. I usually do not feel no real difference between top and inside gunner on other vehicles.

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(10,345)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Monday, December 10th 2018, 12:08pm

No, two of the Staghound's MGs are Brownings (presumably the 1919) and one is the Bren.

Given the name of the weapon is "Bren Open Gun" I'd assume this is the exposed gunner.

Browning is 599 RPM, Bren is 514.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

"Skill" may indeed be the most magical of words. Chant it well enough and any desire can be yours.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Hau_ruck

Tow me daddy!

(1,095)

• "Hau_ruck" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 3rd 2014

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Monday, December 10th 2018, 3:41pm

No, two of the Staghound's MGs are Brownings (presumably the 1919) and one is the Bren.

Given the name of the weapon is "Bren Open Gun" I'd assume this is the exposed gunner.

Browning is 599 RPM, Bren is 514.

Do we have any stats on these MGs? The rooftop ones "feel" fairly equal to the Vickers stationary MG which from rewatching my clips seems to do 40 max damage with fairly slow damage drop off. So they're basically always 3 hit kill. 2 with a headshot. They're fairly close to the boat MGs from BF1 stat-wise I think but without the huge starting spread/ reverse spread model.

The port MG on the 251 feels about the same as the one on German tanks but the M3's port MG seems to be worse than the churchill's hull MG. At the moment I'm going purely on experience and "feels". I'll try and get a clip of the M3 to show what I mean.

Again, if anyone just has the stats for them that would be way easier :P

edit: also, the Universal carrier is hilarious. It's not as combat worthy as the kubel since the animation for getting in the gun is both slow and points the camera all over the place so you lose all situational awareness, but it's shape makes for some funny moments. I had some infantry right near me trying to shoot me out of the seat so I spun the vehicle around and they couldn't hit me. Turns out just reversing everywhere is far safer. And when you do bring the MG to bear on enemies it is very very satisfying. They just melt.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Hau_ruck" (Dec 10th 2018, 4:13pm)

Date of registration
: Jun 23rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Monday, December 10th 2018, 3:46pm

One thing I always use the halftrack for is to ram tanks. I pushed one off the bridge on Hamada, for example. Also a very efficient way to eliminate tank threats, when they are already under pressure (works mostly on british tanks with the 251) is to ram them head on, which will put them on your hood and make it's weapons useless.

Someone disabled me on Panzerstorm like that recently. I was genuinely impressed while their infantry support picked my Valentine apart.

I think tanks are in a decent spot right now. Assault players are a threat, since FLIR sights don't exist, mines are also more dangerous than in BF4 (man, the brakes on the Staghound suck, by the way). You need to be really careful in tanks and best play from a distance. Slugfests with other tanks are not too thrilling, but killing two tigers and two Panzer IV in three minutes with a Valentine IS nice.

Planes, however, are not quite there yet I think. Bombers are mostly fine, but fighters don't get nearly as much score as they should IMO. Engaging ground targets isn't all that easy or effective in a fighter, and bomber pilots bail from their plane more often than not, denying both the kill and vehicle destroyed score. I'd end up keeping the skies clear for an entire round, effectively downing six bombers, three fighters and two stukas, but still only have like 2000 points to show for it. Not very rewarding, and thus extremely tedious to level up. The dual airburst rockets on the BF109 G2(?) are really nice for taking out bombers that try to out-stall you, and can at least deal some damage to ground targets.

In terms of ground-based AA I think their range is too long. An AA tank in the Axis deployment on Hamada (a really large map) can shoot all the way into the Allied spawn, making most of the map off-limits to planes. The stationary AA is similarly strong, and if there's an enemy fighter plane on the map as well, it will utterly shut you down. I would like to see their ranged reduced significantly to where they can really only deny access within a smaller radius (denying at most 20% of a map's ground combat area at most with a single tank or emplacement), but increase their damage per second considerably, so that you're really getting the pain when you cross into their airspace, but can actually avoid it.
Zormau - Battlelog / Battlefield 4

Memorable quotes not taken yet:

Of course, this ignores the non-constant cross-sectional first moment of area across the chest as well as non-constant material properties of the boob; it would be difficult to perform a more detailed analysis (as in, I'd have to have a shape function AND I'd need to derive a function for elastic modulus as a function of lateral breast coordinate) but whatever. It's 2am and I'm lazy.

I always believed science should be very hands on experience.

You should also answer this question I had posed in that thread: Would you be willing to pay your surgeon more if he was going to use a chainsaw for the opening incision of surgery? Clearly using a chainsaw isn't truly suited for surgery but that doesn't really matter. If he's "skilled" enough to be able to use the wrong tools of the trade, he should be rewarded for that skill right?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Zormau" (Dec 10th 2018, 3:52pm)

Date of registration
: Mar 19th 2014

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Monday, December 10th 2018, 6:26pm

snip

Great summary, I agree on all points.

They really, really need to get a proper kill credit system worked out for BFV. If a plane crashes, the last person to damage it needs to get full credit, and if a pilot bails and dies out of bounds or to falling, the last person to damage their plane should get full credit.
Who Enjoys, Wins

Date of registration
: Sep 19th 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Monday, December 10th 2018, 7:46pm

Not too keen on what seems to be a fairly long progression tree for vehicles, and the gunner spot for most armor is a death trap, so my final verdict is pending....

Planes seem easier than ever now if I can ever stay alive long enough to unlock some stuff.