Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "Hau_ruck" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 3rd 2014

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Friday, October 26th 2018, 7:38am

Not sure whether to be excited about dedicated bipod MGs now that they've removed suppression effects on spread. So now the support's only defense against snipers is gone. Way to go caving DICE :(

To be fair, it was everyone's option against an enemy too far to damage.

With the new spread system a bipoded MMG might still be the best way to counter snipers with direct fire. However, you are right. With the removal of indirect fire gadgets they additionally give snipers more of free reign on the maps. However smoke grenades might turn out to be more used now, to at least block LOS.

I am generally in doubt about the MMGs though. True the MG42 is hard to balance but that caveat one has to swallow as long as the other options are somewhat on par.

That's a good point. Throwing smoke so you have time to bipod up should work pretty well, especially since lethal grenades are apparently fairly weak this time around anyway, making smoke more attractive. I'll be interested to see if scope glint is visible through smoke or not. I really hope the MMGs are significantly more deadly than other options like the FG42.

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,305)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 16

Friday, October 26th 2018, 12:19pm

Not sure whether to be excited about dedicated bipod MGs now that they've removed suppression effects on spread. So now the support's only defense against snipers is gone. Way to go caving DICE :(

To be fair, it was everyone's option against an enemy too far to damage.

With the new spread system a bipoded MMG might still be the best way to counter snipers with direct fire. However, you are right. With the removal of indirect fire gadgets they additionally give snipers more of free reign on the maps. However smoke grenades might turn out to be more used now, to at least block LOS.

I am generally in doubt about the MMGs though. True the MG42 is hard to balance but that caveat one has to swallow as long as the other options are somewhat on par.

That's a good point. Throwing smoke so you have time to bipod up should work pretty well, especially since lethal grenades are apparently fairly weak this time around anyway, making smoke more attractive. I'll be interested to see if scope glint is visible through smoke or not. I really hope the MMGs are significantly more deadly than other options like the FG42.

I did not use the MG34 in Alpha, but I can not imagine it brings a lot to the table, overheat is still in the game and the ROF is not that much higher than the FG42. So the selling point here is the mag size. The big disadvantage is the setup time that you have to undergo and the fact that it might not be doable in all circumstances.

The MG42 is a different option though. It seems the ROF is above 1000, which is a significant increase and might make up for the time it takes to set up shop. Additionally the MMGs will be able to penetrate a lot of materials including sandbags and general fortifications. Still I think the general inability to take every engagement is quite the trade-off.

Date of registration
: Dec 7th 2011

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Friday, October 26th 2018, 10:04pm

I don't think the MMGs will see much use in Conquest, but they might be useful in Attack/Defense type gamemodes. It sounds as they will be suitable both for defending a fixed position, and for hosing down fortified defenders.
Still, it's probably going to be a weapon class that you only spawn with when you have a specific plan for how and where you're going to deploy the bipod. I suspect 95% of all supports will be running with an LMG.
bob