Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,416)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 16

Thursday, May 24th 2018, 10:25pm

Yes they are negative, if the animations hinder me in doing stuff. This is solely my perspective. If I have an animation like the ammo pouch and it is not interruptable, or it blocks my vision, makes my crosshair disappear than it is hindering me. Say there is a reload animation where you hold up your gun so it blocks your view, then you would want it gone. A thrown pouch is nice to have, but in the end unnecessary. Actively having to press E to start an animation just to grab a pouch is tedious. An animation that knocks you about because a shell exploded nearby is authentic, but takes the control out of player's hands, which is something people really hate.
Reviving animations is worse for me in the way that I will likely have to press a button to start an animation, that takes seconds, where I am forced to look my mate in the eye and that might not be interruptable, or at least makes me so unaware of my surroundings that it is extremely dangerours in ANY case. Players will notice that, and if you had a problem with the revive counts before, I can promise that this will not get better, unless they suddenly reveal some stunning details.

Yeah I find the BF3 and 4 gun mechanic is a pinnacle of game design. It really is, because the triumvirate of spread, recoil and damage is an awesome way to balance weapons in a way that every gun feels natural and according to it's role. You can finetune the hell out of it. The youtubers always complained about random bullet deviation and they were wrong, because spread never made your gun unbearingly inaccurate. You only noticed in BF1 because spread was excessive in correlation to recoil, damage, and magsize. The system is marvellous, but it has the one, neglectable for me, flaw that micro-bursting is the meta instead of learning a recoil pattern or having guns that only work in small niches.

What I would already conclude, and that ties into the old school, new school, arcadey discussion, is that BF V is already caught in the middle between a more authentic approach with animations, pro-active gameplay elements, and an extremely arcadey optic that contrasts this. A revive animations is more Arma. Diving in all directions and jumping out of closed windows is totally CoD, every customization option is more Fortnite. And yes take a look at the trailer, everything in it was a spectacle, even if it is unrepresentative of the gameplay, they did a lot of this for the simple joy of visual effects. Customization and visual appearance is totally part of the gameplay, and highly polarizing, too. I do not play Fortnite, even though I acknowledge it being a good game, because of the visual appearance, and many people think this way. A WWII themed game which always had (even in BC2) a serious undertone in the visual representation with this kind of over the top customization is even more polarizing in this regard. Hence the disappointment about the trailer. I mean heck, a Katana and a Cricket bat? A prosthetic arm?

It is also conflict still in the minds of many people, I myself have trouble viewing a spectacular "fun" trailer just to see Greatgrandpa's head getting smashed in by said cricket bat wielded by miss Fancypants. That's some dark shit.

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(10,320)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Thursday, May 24th 2018, 10:56pm

The youtubers always complained about random bullet deviation and they were wrong, because spread never made your gun unbearingly inaccurate. You only noticed in BF1 because spread was excessive in correlation to recoil, damage, and magsize.

They noticed because they were tapfiring and getting hit by the first shot multiplier repeatedly.

BF1 spread actually isn't that excessive.

A 6 rb from the Automatico (now middle of the road) accumulates 0.495 spread.

A 6 rb from the MX4 accumulates 0.582 spread.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

"Skill" may indeed be the most magical of words. Chant it well enough and any desire can be yours.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Date of registration
: Jun 23rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Thursday, May 24th 2018, 11:31pm

Let's also not forget that CS:GO has quite a lot of spread compared to BF4. It's just not as big a factor at the ranges CS:GO plays out. Recoil patterns are more influential there. Cf: Spray Patterns and Recoil Compensation | CSGO Skills App for visual representations of recoil vs. spread and Counter Strike: Global Offensive - Stats for symthic-style stats. No clue what units the spread values are in tho.

Assuming they are correct, though.

I'm personally hoping for a escalating and not completely predictable recoil mechanic, similar to what I think I remember Titanfall 1 having. Recoil would have some unpredictable element to it and increase over the course of fire, be overall greater than in older titles and eliminate the "random spread" complaint (which I don't share in the first place).
Zormau - Battlelog / Battlefield 4

Memorable quotes not taken yet:

Of course, this ignores the non-constant cross-sectional first moment of area across the chest as well as non-constant material properties of the boob; it would be difficult to perform a more detailed analysis (as in, I'd have to have a shape function AND I'd need to derive a function for elastic modulus as a function of lateral breast coordinate) but whatever. It's 2am and I'm lazy.

I always believed science should be very hands on experience.

You should also answer this question I had posed in that thread: Would you be willing to pay your surgeon more if he was going to use a chainsaw for the opening incision of surgery? Clearly using a chainsaw isn't truly suited for surgery but that doesn't really matter. If he's "skilled" enough to be able to use the wrong tools of the trade, he should be rewarded for that skill right?

Date of registration
: Mar 19th 2014

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Thursday, May 24th 2018, 11:46pm

As long as we still have velocity, drag, and gravity I'm happy. I've always wanted more recoil and less spread anyway.
Who Enjoys, Wins

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Friday, May 25th 2018, 12:02am

The proposed changes are so phenomenally sweeping that I really don't know what to think.

My primary impression is that they seem to have stripped elements from a huge number of disperate games and smashed them together and then wrapped them in a battlefield package. Reading through that list and it really seems that they've ripped features from every "good game" that has come out in the last 5 years.

I have no idea if this will all come together to make a good game, or a dumpster fire. I'm pretty apprehensive.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Date of registration
: Jun 23rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Friday, May 25th 2018, 2:46am

I'm mainly excited to play the demo (for some reason called "beta"), maybe drop a few bucks on origin access once it's out there and then decide whether it's worth a buy.

Gotta see how the announced mechanics work out in combination.

Right now I see great potential with the deceleration of healing, reviving and restocking. If the maps are sufficiently large and/or servers with playercounts of 48 and 32 (conquest small or locker-esque maps for the latter) are available, it might play out very enjoyably.
Zormau - Battlelog / Battlefield 4

Memorable quotes not taken yet:

Of course, this ignores the non-constant cross-sectional first moment of area across the chest as well as non-constant material properties of the boob; it would be difficult to perform a more detailed analysis (as in, I'd have to have a shape function AND I'd need to derive a function for elastic modulus as a function of lateral breast coordinate) but whatever. It's 2am and I'm lazy.

I always believed science should be very hands on experience.

You should also answer this question I had posed in that thread: Would you be willing to pay your surgeon more if he was going to use a chainsaw for the opening incision of surgery? Clearly using a chainsaw isn't truly suited for surgery but that doesn't really matter. If he's "skilled" enough to be able to use the wrong tools of the trade, he should be rewarded for that skill right?

Date of registration
: Jun 23rd 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Friday, May 25th 2018, 3:29am

The JackFrags interview provided some good information. It looks like the "physical" animations are interruptible, and they won't lock your view (in the case of revives) to your squadmate. So you'll be able to look around while reviving, and bail out of the animation at any point. It all sounds really good. I'm hopeful.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, May 25th 2018, 3:34am

The JackFrags interview provided some good information. It looks like the "physical" animations are interruptible, and they won't lock your view (in the case of revives) to your squadmate. So you'll be able to look around while reviving, and bail out of the animation at any point. It all sounds really good. I'm hopeful.

Agreed. This is basically an evolution of things like vehicle enter animations, or the field gun reload animation from BF1 (among others). Everything you do in BFV will be a physical action, actually interacting with the world and players around you, and this aspect has me the most excited out of everything we've heard so far.
Who Enjoys, Wins

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Friday, May 25th 2018, 3:47am

Agreed. This is basically an evolution of things like vehicle enter animations, or the field gun reload animation from BF1 (among others). Everything you do in BFV will be a physical action, actually interacting with the world and players around you, and this aspect has me the most excited out of everything we've heard so far.

The vehicle-enter animation is useless and glitchy. It didn't bring anything to the gameplay experience and had poor fidelity with what the server is/was actually doing. It was basically veneer. The field gun animation is nice, but really its just a pretty way of showing you a timer, and that's fine.

At a fundamental level games are an abstraction, some moreso than others. They require concessions to make a game a game. Animations reducing abstraction don't actually translate to a better game.