Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

theaha

(1,051)

Date of registration
: Jul 19th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Thursday, March 13th 2014, 5:24pm

Would it make sense to have a more strict enforcement of Rule 5 in the Technical section and more leeway elsewhere?

Now guests, who by far are the most numerous users of Symthic and don't even have 'Ignored users' at their disposal, and Symthicians alike need to slog through numerous BL-like posts to come across the few that are informative. As pointed out in the wiki thread, the problem of symthic is that the real information - be it data or educated analyses of data - becomes buried and lost in the endless sea of threads and posts.

That is exactly my problem these days. In years past the posting volume was low and the information easy to get. These days a thread has 5+ pages and the informational value is the same as before .. but you have to read too many posts. I have no idea how to fix that, I guess it's just the burden of popularity.

there is (hopefully) a solution in the works right now. From what i understand its pretty much just waiting for sym. (whos working on titanfall)
----------------------------
<Haemoglobin> I was like LOLOLOLOL HERE COMES THE PAIN
----------------------------
<J0hn> if it's a computer, i touch it... professionally
---------------------------

Date of registration
: Apr 30th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Monday, March 24th 2014, 11:00am

I'm not sure what sort of discussion rigid enforcement of these rules is likely to encourage?

As a case in point, I had what I thought was a perfectly valid thread in the General BF4 discussion locked because (according to Blue Panda) "Everyone in this thread is breaking rule 9 which breaks rule 4".

Rule 9 is responding to bad posts - okay, that is a judgement call based upon the responses.
Rule 4 (the initial "breach") relates to threads only being started if there is something reasonable to discuss. How do you decide what is "reasonable" in a general discussion forum? I understand that if it was started in the Technical discussion then it would clearly be in breach, but general discussion?
Or was the problem that it may have already been discussed before, in which case at what point do further changes in the game make a previous discussion worth revisiting, bearing in mind that rule 4 says to use an existing discussion but then you run the risk of falling foul of the necro rule (rule 11).

I would agree with what others had said here that while the Technical forums should be kept tidy for ease of access, I don't see why the same rigidity as defined in rules 4 and 5 should be applied to the general forums or the off-topic discussions, because otherwise you run the risk of scaring people off trying to start discussions in the first place.

Maveco

You can't stop the Smooze!

(610)

Date of registration
: Mar 16th 2013

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Monday, March 24th 2014, 11:14am

"What would you want the devs to change in the game?" threads are more like forum games than propper discussion...

Date of registration
: Apr 12th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Monday, March 24th 2014, 11:23am

"What would you want the devs to change in the game?" threads are more like forum games than propper discussion...

Exactly.

I want to repost here a comment on this issue, which I posted to the lock-on thread, because 'how to change the game' is IMHO one of the most useless topics to discuss - on par with discussing feelings about guns.

Quoted

[...]it is mesmerizing to me why so much discussion in Symthic is devoted to balance-change proposals.

What is there to discuss in such proposals when neither the proposer nor the community has any means for getting those changes into the game? Balance changes are designed, decided, and implemented by DICE without much considerations about what the community thinks. Which is good because the community is largely made up of individuals with a very limited view of the big-picture game mechanics.

Sure, everyone is free to discuss whatever, but the more and more commonplace discussion of how the stats of X should be balanced is just pointless.

In Symthic, we have the capability to discuss how the stats and game mechanics, as they are now, can be used to their full potential. Discussions on statistics, tactics, counter-tactic, strategies, etc. are useful. Opinions of how the game should be changed are not.

EDIT: There could be a subsection under General discussion (or Off-topic for that matter) for discussing stats and balance changes, wishlists, etc. matters that are irrelevant for how the game is right now. If a DICE dev were interested in suggestions, he also would easily find them there.
"Less is more? How can that be? How could less be more, that's impossible. More is more." Yngwie Malmsten
"Many bullets help." WoopsyYaya
"most rhetorically legitimate ad hominem 2015" ToTheSun!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "3VerstsNorth" (Mar 24th 2014, 3:27pm)

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

Date of registration
: Jan 7th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Monday, March 24th 2014, 3:54pm

EDIT: There could be a subsection under General discussion (or Off-topic for that matter) for discussing stats and balance changes, wishlists, etc. matters that are irrelevant for how the game is right now. If a DICE dev were interested in suggestions, he also would easily find them there.

I actually really like this.
Emperor Nick of the Cult of Defibrillation
Sith Deity of Thread-Killing

I'm basically just a degenerate weeb who doesn't post much nowadays.

I'm secretly Old Man Symthic

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Words of Wisdom (not really)

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

You're fedorable :love:

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

I have the highest postcount. Nick doesn't count.

Quoted

23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm -
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Okay
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm stabbing everyone
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Bye guys
23:44 Nick: *flips table*
23:44 Legion: Bye, happy stabbing
23:44 *** Lt_Col_Jesus quit (Quit: off to murder the public at large).

Quoted

10:41 LB: You just...reanimated Steve Jobs.
10:41 Dice: Well that would be unfortunate, I was just getting used to him being dead.

Quoted from "Pheozero"

... fuck. Damn you hindsight!

Quoted

23:58 Failure117: CAUSE IM FREEE
23:58 Nick: AS A BIIIIRD NOW
23:58 Failure117: FREEE OF NICK'S WORM RAPE

Quoted

ViperFTW: HEY LOOK
ViperFTW: AN ALIEN LASER FISH THE SIZE OF THE SUN
ViperFTW: I WANT TO SWAT IT WITH MY COMICLY LARGE SWORD
ViperFTW: WITH
ViperFTW: THIS
ViperFTW: AS
ViperFTW: MY
ViperFTW: FUUUUCKING SOUNDTRACK :DDDD
(the album in question)

CobaltRose

I'll be there... around every corner... in every empty room...

(1,219)

Date of registration
: Nov 8th 2013

Battlelog:

Monday, March 24th 2014, 3:59pm

Agreed. Bit of a shame that DICE does its own damn thing and it'd be like talking to a brick wall, but hey, at least you're talking to something
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Memorable Quotes

I once tried to burn a bridge, but due to the half-assed levolution implementation it kept standing up just fine.

Compared to the MTAR, the PDR has the TTK of your average pack of cigarettes.

The World Champion, on the Tactical Light:
"Oh don't mind me, I'm just out of ammo and I'll just POCKET SUN!!!!"

What can't be changed can be banned.

I'm completely serious. Well, seriously insane actually :P

If only more people left the wheel chair, adjustable hospital bed, and crutches behind and played HC. (aka Regen, Minimap, Killcam)

Natalia Poklonskaya:
Putin the cute in prosecute since 2014.

I can't look at my own avatar without having to pee. GG Me. GG.

I swear to god if you reply with a picture of the AEK I'll mail you a buttplug shaped like one.

The one time when "it's only three inches" is a good thing.

How do you guys control your FAMAS burst length since it fires its mag in just 1,5 seconds))
I consider each magazine a burst. :/

This is Symthic, we don't do "feels" around here ;)

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, March 24th 2014, 4:01pm

Agreed. Bit of a shame that DICE does its own damn thing and it'd be like talking to a brick wall, but hey, at least you're talking to something

Some of our stuff has worked. Goat's M416 changes made it into BF3, my REX hipfire changes made it in, the M5K bugs were fixed, etc. And look at some of the obscure ideas that made it into BF4--tank gunner loadouts, M26 Reflex, etc. Nah, we've done some stuff.

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

Quoted

Quoted

10:41 Dice: Well that would be unfortunate, I was just getting used to him being dead.

Quoted from "Pheozero"

Quoted

Quoted

(the album in question)

ToTheSun!

Be Creative.

(5,050)

Date of registration
: Mar 9th 2012

Monday, March 24th 2014, 7:08pm

Considering the latest balance threads people have created on this forum, i'd be reticent about making them easier to find.

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, March 24th 2014, 7:33pm

Maybe it could be a subforum which requires mod approval on the first post of the thread to start it?

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

Quoted

Quoted

Quoted from "Pheozero"

Quoted

Quoted

(the album in question)

CobaltRose

I'll be there... around every corner... in every empty room...

(1,219)

Date of registration
: Nov 8th 2013

Battlelog:

Monday, March 24th 2014, 7:37pm

Maybe it could be a subforum which requires mod approval on the first post of the thread to start it?
sounds like a good idea, but it also sounds like it's unnecessary work for the mods.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Memorable Quotes

I once tried to burn a bridge, but due to the half-assed levolution implementation it kept standing up just fine.

Compared to the MTAR, the PDR has the TTK of your average pack of cigarettes.

The World Champion, on the Tactical Light:
"Oh don't mind me, I'm just out of ammo and I'll just POCKET SUN!!!!"

What can't be changed can be banned.

I'm completely serious. Well, seriously insane actually :P

If only more people left the wheel chair, adjustable hospital bed, and crutches behind and played HC. (aka Regen, Minimap, Killcam)

Natalia Poklonskaya:
Putin the cute in prosecute since 2014.

I can't look at my own avatar without having to pee. GG Me. GG.

I swear to god if you reply with a picture of the AEK I'll mail you a buttplug shaped like one.

The one time when "it's only three inches" is a good thing.

How do you guys control your FAMAS burst length since it fires its mag in just 1,5 seconds))
I consider each magazine a burst. :/

This is Symthic, we don't do "feels" around here ;)