Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "das_takke" started this thread

Date of registration
: Oct 14th 2015

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 1

Wednesday, October 14th 2015, 9:36pm

Help me calculate my 8x-Scope-Sens & transfer it to another game

Hey there,

i don't really know if thats the appropriate forum, but i thought its the most fitting, since it's not a long discussion - or so i hope. First of all my main goal was to transfer my "musclememory" to CS:GO, but while i calculated and did some research many questions arose, so i had to create this thread. Please dont argue over the usefulness of my settings, as im only trying to figure out in this thread where my mistakes were made.

I'll start with the facts:
I play BF4 with an FOV of 50° (=64° horizontal), with a Mouse-DPI of 3400 and an Ingame-Sensitivity plus (=both!) Zoom-Sensitivity of 0,34. A 360°-Turn in Hipfire-mode equals 1,4 cm of distance as I've measured on paper. (Mean of 25 measures gives exactly 0,7cm)

The following data is taken from the game's data files (found in the spring-patch 2015 folder): 8x Scope: LookSpeedMultiplier= 0,16, FOV= 8,7, no (!) FOV-Scaling. I measured a 360°-Turn equals 11cm.

As of now my train of thought is like the following: I found out (here) that the scopes LookSpeedMultiplier isnt exactly linear (that information solved a lot of problems I've had earlier while calculating because at first it didn't make sense to me). So because most of the time I'm playing aggressive sniper the two most relevant FOVs/multipliers for me are Hipfire and 8x. To transfer that onto another game i might achieve the most "intuitive" feeling by plotting those 2* and extracting the information i need from that plot.

*plotted in R x=c(90,14.848)
y=c(1,0.16)
plot(x,y,type="l",main="SniperZoomFactor", xlab="FOV",ylab="LookingSpeedMultiplier")

1st approach: Lets talk about the facts about CS:GO. The FOV is 90° (horizontal), AWP Zoom-FOV 1 (there are 2, but the second is so extreme that i'll never use that one - so lets forget about that) is 40°. Again im playing with 3400 DPI and mouse acceleration off.

Within that approach I'd use the LookSpeedMultiplier i got from the plot for an FOV of 40°. That feels nearly correct but its still only "near" the right answer.

2nd approach: I took my BF4-Hipfire-cm/360°-Turn-Value and tried to get the same result in CS:GO. To do that I first had to switch to the same horizontal FOV in BF4 as in CS:GO (90°) and measure again. I needed 1,8cm per 360°-Turn...And to be honest I dont get it. Larger FOV=less zoom-> less distance/360°, but the distance increased. I measured 25 times per FOV (64 and 90) again, still the same results leaving me clueless. Nonetheless I tried with the new distance/360° that I got, which lead me to a mouse-sens of 5.2 in CS:GO - am I retarded or doesn't that equal 17680 DPI, or more
accurately said: "it does not, but why?". Nonetheless i recreated the
same distance/360°-Turn. Then I tried to calculate the Zoom-Sens along
those lines:

AWP-Zoom1-FOV/CS:GO-default-FOV=Zoom-Sens-factor= 40°/90°=0,4444 assuming that my evaluated default-Sens of 5.2 is right (=equals 1). Still not accurate.

3rd approach: Calculating with DPI - didn't work out as I'm too stupid to calculate within the right order as i seem to do not know the right formulas.
4th approach: Calculating with cm/360°-turn. Same as above because of LookSpeedMultiplier.

Im leaving out the detail here because that - as of now - is just false crap.

soooo now im coming to some extra questions that arose during research. I'll try (!) to begin with the basics and develop the questions from there on if that's possible.

1. Question: I play without UFA (!). But i still assumed that the coefficient has to be existing and >0 for the 8x scope because otherwise i couldn't nearly recreate the LookSpeedMultiplier given using the formulas found here. The value I got using the vertical FOVs (8,7 for the Scope and 55 default Hipfire) was 0,15818181818 so ~0,16 if rounded up. Is this correct?
2. Question: If my options-menu is right then BF4 plays in 4:3 although I play with a borderless window on a 16:9 Monitor. Still the values given are incorrect: 50° vertival/64° horizontal are given, but if i calculated it correctly with the formulas found here and herethere should be other values, am I right?. This is especially devastating since if I'm right i need to calculate the horizontal FOV of the 8x Scope, which leads to the next question.
3. Question: If I truly follow the formula to calculate the correct FOV of a 8x scope (found here ) the horizontal FOV should be 14,2500327° but that isnt the case - so how to work around that?
4. Question: Maybe im too stupid but none of my measurements match the calculated value I "should" achieve. Why is that?
5. Question: Is it true that I'm playing with 3400*0,34*0,34*0,16=62,8864 DPI while zoomed (8x)? Or to rephrase it: How do i correctly calculate the DPI for Hipfire and ADS?
6. Question: If im not using UFA - whats my actual 8x-scope-DPI?

and more to come with edits. Trying to figure out some more infos and and putting everything in the right order because right now everything in my mind about that is just a giant clusterfuck a you might recognize from this post.

I tried my best to have somewhat of an order, even though i couldn't get it perfect so im sorry for that. Sorry for some mistakes i made, too, because english isn't my native language.
If you have trouble to understand some paragraphs just ask and I'll try to re-explain it to you as soon as possible.

Greetings

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,928)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Reputation modifier: 17

Wednesday, October 14th 2015, 10:06pm

3. Question: If I truly follow the formula to calculate the correct FOV of a 8x scope (found here ) the horizontal FOV should be 14,2500327° but that isnt the case - so how to work around that?

Vertical FoV will not be relative to your settings. It will be what files say (8.5 for 8x, 3.5 for 20x etc).
Would like to answer more but brain too tired for that after day of doing lots of homework and work things.

Edit: Don't know how much you know R but in case: In future if you keep using R and want to have simple linear transformation like that do this (works with only >3 values):

Source code

m = lm(y ~ x)
summary(m)

The linear transformation would be "intercept_estimate + x_estimate*x"
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • InterimAegis - Weapon comparisons/scoring.
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • pmax - Statistical analysis of BF4 players/games.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, October 14th 2015, 11:50pm

Thanks for your reply!. Did know that about R a long time ago, but forgot it so thanks for refreshing my memory - was looking for exactly that for like an hour :D

"Vertical FoV will not be relative to your settings. It will be what files say (8.5 for 8x, 3.5 for 20x etc).Would like to answer more but brain too tired for that after day of doing lots of homework and work things."

That's true, but in order to calculate further I need to convert it to a horizontal FOV first. I was looking for the right formula to do this. Because simply using your aspect ratio for the conversion wont work. But if I use the other formula I linked above, I'll get 14.2500327° which isn't the FOV the game uses, therefore there has to exist another formula i don't know of. Or it's simply not an exact 8x scope. I dont know.

After reading the question again it might have been a bit misleading. I meant the calculation of the horizontal FOV only, as the vertical is a fixed value (don't get me wrong here, because of that the horizontal FOV will be a fixed value too, of course, but i still need the conversion formula).

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,928)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Reputation modifier: 17

Thursday, October 15th 2015, 12:00am

After reading the question again it might have been a bit misleading. I meant the calculation of the horizontal FOV only, as the vertical is a fixed value (don't get me wrong here, because of that the horizontal FOV will be a fixed value too, of course, but i still need the conversion formula).

Hmm I am not _100%_ sure if this applies anymore but before they added setting for vertical fov I made this calculator. I am just going to throw it here in case it helps you. It says 15.05 horizontal fov for 8.5 vertical at 1920/1080 aspect ratio and 11.32 for 4:3 aspect ratio.

The codes used in that:

Javascript source code

function calc_needed_fov_v() {
	var x = document.getElementById("vfov_in").value;
	var asp = document.getElementById("aspect").value;
	x = parseFloat(x);
	asp = parseFloat(asp);
	if (isNaN(x)) return;
	if (isNaN(asp)) return;
	x *= (Math.PI/180);
	var set_fov = 2*Math.atan((Math.tan(x/2)/(0.75)))*(180/Math.PI); //codes
	document.getElementById("set_fov_in").value = set_fov.toFixed(2);
	var hfov = 2*Math.atan((Math.tan(set_fov/2*(Math.PI/180)))*(asp*0.75))*(180/Math.PI);
	document.getElementById("hfov_in").value = hfov.toFixed(2);
}
function calc_needed_fov_h() {
	var x = document.getElementById("hfov_in").value;
	var asp = document.getElementById("aspect").value;
	x = parseFloat(x);
	asp = parseFloat(asp);
	if (isNaN(x)) return;
	if (isNaN(asp)) return;
	x *= (Math.PI/180);
	var set_fov = 2*Math.atan((Math.tan(x/2)/(0.75*asp)))*(180/Math.PI); //codes
	document.getElementById("set_fov_in").value = set_fov.toFixed(2);
	var vfov = 2*Math.atan((Math.tan(set_fov/2*(Math.PI/180)))*(0.75))*(180/Math.PI);
	document.getElementById("vfov_in").value = vfov.toFixed(2);
}
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • InterimAegis - Weapon comparisons/scoring.
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • pmax - Statistical analysis of BF4 players/games.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Thursday, October 15th 2015, 12:53pm

The last time i checked the data files it was 8,7° for an 8x scope so the true FOV should be 15.4° if im not mistaken. But thanks for the calculator - helps a lot.

marbleduck

Smoked Salmon Best Salmon

(1,514)

Date of registration
: Dec 25th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Thursday, October 15th 2015, 4:45pm

Mouse Sensitivity | Same Aim - Different Game

Doesn't this solve your problem?

Platoon Marble Duck

Hate Mail

"you obviously don't know what an argument is as there is only one person battling. Do you really fucking think I want subs? You think you can act all big and powerful just because you sit on a computer at least 6 hours a day like the probably nerdy unwanted retard you are with 4.3k subs? You think 4.3k subs is a lot? LOL you need medicine man. I don't want any subs as i just have a google account for other media and writing comments. Think twice before you act. You even said in your video you aren't that great of a player, and the comments agree you aren't. Maybe you should once again think twice before you act, stop being such an annoying, ignorant bastard that everyone wants to shut up, and god, literally, just shut up. Your voice gave me a headache :s"

"As a youtuber shouldn't be trying to be reeling in your viewers with exciting stuff being said not your boring ass commentary for your video"

"The more you watch his vid the dumber he gets I swear he's borderline autistic look I got shot behind cover beacuase thin sheets metal are unpenetrable. Bf4 is just as quiet and tactical as bf3 random explosion in the background . Player has dissconected from chat
You started playing bf3 and never touched bfc1/2. Please do yourself a favor and shutdown your generic cod channel down"

"Nice clickb8 Faggot w8ting for your shit tier video to disable comments . Fucking newfag cancer go play some cod you activisiom cock faggot"

"I don't see why he [MarbleDuck] always tries to shit on levelcap he is better and has a million more subs...and also "there isnt a best gun in she game there are guns that are better that others at different engagement distances" yes thats true and whichever is the best/most average at all of them is the "best gun""

"Marbleduck you don't know shit lol levelcap knows more than you do you cant talk about how someone puts up garbage when you do yourself your a newcomer to YouTube acting like you know shit step up in the food chain first then you have the right to talk otherwise your just a fish trying to compete with sharks"

"Why don't we just witness "LevelCap vs MarbleDuck" One on One both on Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4 seen as there is so much Controversy about the Two Youtubers"

"stfu cunt, BF3 was way better end of discussion"

"Stfu man, you're be littleing the most looked upon Battlefield Youtuber. No one cares about you, how much of an ego you have, or quite frankly your opinion. It's a fucking game.... Does it really fucking matter? Pathetic man."

"fuck you asshole, dont talk shit about total"

"Wtf is your problem? You have no subs and he has millions, yet you pick on him like some kind of stubborn, ignorant, rude child born with a silver spoon is his mouth. It's easy to do that, for example... You said there was no background noise yet there is. You say you're a fairly good player, you're not."

"please talk like a normal person and not like a professional"

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Thursday, October 15th 2015, 4:57pm

Tried that one multiple times. But either it tells me my "new" DPI is too high or too low, or the values are absurd. To test this site further - as in convert more than just the hipfire-values - I need a premium account which I don't have access to. Might be that im simply too stupid, who knows.

marbleduck

Smoked Salmon Best Salmon

(1,514)

Date of registration
: Dec 25th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Thursday, October 15th 2015, 4:59pm

Tried that one multiple times. But either it tells me my "new" DPI is too high or too low, or the values are absurd. To test this site further - as in convert more than just the hipfire-values - I need a premium account which I don't have access to. Might be that im simply too stupid, who knows.

Are you looking at the sensitivity value from PROFSAVE_PROFILE? For example, mine is .069—it doesn't make sense that yours is orders of magnitude larger. You won't be able to tell what it is from the bar.

Platoon Marble Duck

Hate Mail

"you obviously don't know what an argument is as there is only one person battling. Do you really fucking think I want subs? You think you can act all big and powerful just because you sit on a computer at least 6 hours a day like the probably nerdy unwanted retard you are with 4.3k subs? You think 4.3k subs is a lot? LOL you need medicine man. I don't want any subs as i just have a google account for other media and writing comments. Think twice before you act. You even said in your video you aren't that great of a player, and the comments agree you aren't. Maybe you should once again think twice before you act, stop being such an annoying, ignorant bastard that everyone wants to shut up, and god, literally, just shut up. Your voice gave me a headache :s"

"As a youtuber shouldn't be trying to be reeling in your viewers with exciting stuff being said not your boring ass commentary for your video"

"The more you watch his vid the dumber he gets I swear he's borderline autistic look I got shot behind cover beacuase thin sheets metal are unpenetrable. Bf4 is just as quiet and tactical as bf3 random explosion in the background . Player has dissconected from chat
You started playing bf3 and never touched bfc1/2. Please do yourself a favor and shutdown your generic cod channel down"

"Nice clickb8 Faggot w8ting for your shit tier video to disable comments . Fucking newfag cancer go play some cod you activisiom cock faggot"

"I don't see why he [MarbleDuck] always tries to shit on levelcap he is better and has a million more subs...and also "there isnt a best gun in she game there are guns that are better that others at different engagement distances" yes thats true and whichever is the best/most average at all of them is the "best gun""

"Marbleduck you don't know shit lol levelcap knows more than you do you cant talk about how someone puts up garbage when you do yourself your a newcomer to YouTube acting like you know shit step up in the food chain first then you have the right to talk otherwise your just a fish trying to compete with sharks"

"Why don't we just witness "LevelCap vs MarbleDuck" One on One both on Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4 seen as there is so much Controversy about the Two Youtubers"

"stfu cunt, BF3 was way better end of discussion"

"Stfu man, you're be littleing the most looked upon Battlefield Youtuber. No one cares about you, how much of an ego you have, or quite frankly your opinion. It's a fucking game.... Does it really fucking matter? Pathetic man."

"fuck you asshole, dont talk shit about total"

"Wtf is your problem? You have no subs and he has millions, yet you pick on him like some kind of stubborn, ignorant, rude child born with a silver spoon is his mouth. It's easy to do that, for example... You said there was no background noise yet there is. You say you're a fairly good player, you're not."

"please talk like a normal person and not like a professional"

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Thursday, October 15th 2015, 5:39pm

No maybe thats the mistake - where can i find this profile?

Edit: nvm found the profile - if GstInput.MouseSensitivity is the correct one its 0.051. Thay might be it. Will try - thanks a lot!
Edit2:Couldn't test the feeling of the sensitivity i got there, but nonetheless, the calculated inches/360° do not seem to be correct as I've measured it myself by hand, as well as the problem with the scoped-sensitivity within the AWP-Zoom-1 still remains.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "das_takke" (Oct 15th 2015, 6:05pm)